Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U N can kiss where i cant

http://news.msn.com/us/un-urges-us-t...souri-shooting

GENEVA (Reuters) - The U.N. racism watchdog urged the United States on Friday to halt the excessive use of force by police after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white policeman touched off riots in Ferguson, Missouri.

Minorities, particularly African Americans, are victims of disparities, the U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) said after examining the U.S. record.

"Racial and ethnic discrimination remains a serious and persistent problem in all areas of life from de facto school segregation, access to health care and housing," Noureddine Amir, CERD committee vice chairman, told a news briefing.

Teenager Michael Brown was shot dead by a white police officer on Aug. 9, triggering violent protests that rocked Ferguson - a St. Louis suburb - and shone a global spotlight on the state of race relations in America.

"The excessive use of force by law enforcement officials against racial and ethnic minorities is an ongoing issue of concern and particularly in light of the shooting of Michael Brown," said Amir, an expert from Algeria.

"This is not an isolated event and illustrates a bigger problem in the United States, such as racial bias among law enforcement officials, the lack of proper implementation of rules and regulations governing the use of force, and the inadequacy of training of law enforcement officials."

The panel of 18 independent experts grilled a senior U.S. delegation on Aug. 13 about what they said was persistent racial discrimination against African-Americans and other minorities, including within the criminal justice system.

U.S. Ambassador Keith Harper told the panel that his nation had made "great strides toward eliminating racial discrimination" but conceded that "we have much left to do".

Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson, who shot Brown, has been put on paid leave and is in hiding. A St. Louis County grand jury has begun hearing evidence and the U.S. Justice Department has opened its own investigation.

Police have said Brown struggled with Wilson when shot. But some witnesses say Brown held up his hands and was surrendering when he was shot multiple times in the head and chest.

"STAND YOUR GROUND" LAWS

In its conclusions issued on Friday, the U.N. panel said "Stand Your Ground" Laws, a controversial self-defense statute in 22 U.S. states, should be reviewed to "remove far-reaching immunity and ensure strict adherence to principles of necessity and proportionality when deadly force is used for self-defense".

Ron Davis, father of Jordan Davis, a 17-year-old shot dead in a car in Jacksonville, Florida during an argument over loud rap music in November 2012, attended the Geneva session. Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teen killed in Miami, Florida by a neighborhood watch volunteer, testified.

The U.N. panel monitors compliance with a treaty ratified by 177 countries including the United States.

"The Committee remains concerned at the practice of racial profiling of racial or ethnic minorities by law enforcement officials, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Transportation Security Administration, border enforcement officials and local police," it said, urging investigations.

The experts called for addressing obstacles faced by minorities and indigenous peoples to exercise their right to vote effectively. This was due to restrictive voter identification laws, district gerrymandering and state-level laws that disenfranchise people convicted of felonies, it said.

Jamil Dakwar of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said the U.N. recommendations highlighted "shortcomings on racial equality that we are seeing play out today on our streets, at our borders and in the voting booth.

"When it comes to human rights, the United States must practice at home what it preaches abroad," he said.

Personally the next time the UN screams we need the US to send us military because we cant do crap without it and is a laughing stock of a organization the US should tell them to shove it and get everyone else to cover it .I guess they get their news from CNN also.

Oh man I was gonna post this story and I forgot!

I agree with you, Jdthor
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Get the US out of the UN. STOP funding it and START taxing it. Now the ACLU, our very own homegrown, TAXPAYER FUNDED, terrorist organization, that is a whole other story.
      Last edited by So Fla Cop; 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM.
      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

FU UN.

diks
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Phuk the UN. The US should cut off the money and manpower and let the UN die on the vine. I am sure that NY could find a better use for that property.
          In God We Trust
          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

The UN has the following countries on its Human Rights Commission: Algeria, China, Cuba, Congo, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam. The UN has no credibility to lecture anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulgrave600 View Post
              The UN has the following countries on its Human Rights Commission: Algeria, China, Cuba, Congo, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam. The UN has no credibility to lecture anyone.
              No kidding. That's the first thing I thought of when I read the first couple of sentences on MSN. No need to read any further after that.

Comment

Wow we got lectured about our Police by Alergia and Congo? One of the worst and most dangerous countries to visit in Africa. I could never be an ambassador cause I would've just flat out told them to go **** themselves.

If there was a course on how to rape and pillage our own people I'm sure Algeria and Congo would be the first ones we call for instructors.

We seriously need to stop paying and donating resources to the UN. It's totally ineffective and it doesn't accomplish anything. Plus we're really the only ones pulling our own weight when it comes to money and troops.
                Last edited by Miller11x; 08-30-2014, 03:38 AM.

Comment

If the USA did the right thing and got out of the UN - remove all funding and participation - the international busybodies would fold inside of a year. The UN can't function without us. They ought to be evicted from our soil as well.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Every time they open mouths, the pukes at the UN prove what an incompetent, totally corrupt, worthless crew of hypocritical crap they really are. Maybe, that's why Barack, Hillary, Kerry and the rest of our resident trash love them so much.

Really want to do something for the homeless? Really want some low cost public housing? Or, do you favor running the physical plant for a profit? In any instance, kick out the current violators of the Free Air Act, send them back to their flea infested, underdeveloped armpit countries, and maybe we'd have a start.

Meantime? They can kiss my ***.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller11x View Post
                      Wow we got lectured about our Police by Alergia and Congo? One of the worst and most dangerous countries to visit in Africa. I could never be an ambassador cause I would've just flat out told them to go **** themselves.

If there was a course on how to rape and pillage our own people I'm sure Algeria and Congo would be the first ones we call for instructors.

We seriously need to stop paying and donating resources to the UN. It's totally ineffective and it doesn't accomplish anything. Plus we're really the only ones pulling our own weight when it comes to money and troops.
                      It is almost the same as Fat Al Sharpton lecturing the police on racial equality, ethics and integrity.
                      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6012 users online. 341 members and 5671 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X