Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop tells the truth, everyone gets mad.

So a veteran LAPD officer tells the unvarnished truth:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postev...-challenge-me/

Anger ensues:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/20/us/fer...html?hpt=hp_t1
    ~Gun control has always been about punishing the people that didn't shoot anyone.

That was a good article by the LAPD officer. Anyone who is opposed to what he said, in any substantial way, is a kind of delusional freeloader who believes that life without the police would be similar to what his life is like now (and maybe better). He may have a job and pay taxes, but he is still a freeloader on police services, because he doesn't know (and doesn't want to know) about all the additional and hidden costs to provide that service.
    https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

Seems like he was mostly screwed by an inflammatory headline and a poor choice of words. You have to read halfway through his column before you realize that what he is basically saying is that the side of the road is the wrong place to argue with the police, and that if you feel you have a grievance, you should file complaints after the fact instead of arguing on the scene.

Which should be indisputable from a practical point of view. Has there ever been a case where arguing with the police on the scene has ever gotten anyone what they wanted? And if you actually are the victim of an abusive police officer, do you think the abuse is likely to get better or worse if you start arguing about it right then?

But the headline and a couple of his first lines pretty solidly set up the Jump To Conclusions Crowd to say "Arrogant Cop Says Do What I Tell You Or I'll Shoot You."

It's a good example of a rule I've adopted personally (Original to John Scalzi): When confronted with a problem with another person, the first question to ask is "Would this problem deescalate if I stopped being an *******?"

If the answer is yes, the first step to resolving the problem is to stop being an *******. Doesn't matter if you were the first person to be an ******* or not. Doesn't matter if you were the biggest ******* or not. If the situation would improve by not being an *******, that should be your first step.
      Originally posted by Michigan
      Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

Problem is that most of us who aren't law enforcement are educated by the media and popular tv as to how things work with the police. And when they don't work that way people go off the deep end.
        He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
        shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
        - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

He's got a *VERY* bad choice of words!

Consider:

"if you don’t want to get shot"

"Don’t argue with me, don’t call me names, don’t tell me that I can’t stop you, don’t say I’m a racist pig, don’t threaten that you’ll sue me and take away my badge. Don’t scream at me that you pay my salary,"

Obviously he didn't actually mean shooting in response to words but the way it's written it certainly looks that way.

Comment

This guy is a really interesting and unusual cat if you look at his resume. He's got a doctorate in biology, he's into mysticism, he writes poetry, he's an Indian musician (he was born in India), he's an expert in security issues and counterterrorism, he's a college professor, he's a writer who's been published a zillion times in both the academic and nonacademic realm, he's a left-winger politically (is a big anti-death penalty advocate) ... and has been an L.A. street cop for 17 years.

This is not your average street cop. God only knows what kind of IQ we're talking about here.

He was on CNN today defending his piece ... which contained much truth IMO ... but didn't do that well. He said he was trying to make the point that using force tends to be the exception rather than the rule in most encounters between the LEO and the noncriminal general public and that if people cooperate and above all don't do anything threatening, there's generally not a problem.

What I think happened here is the academic side of him displayed a tin ear to how what he was saying would play in a very over heated environment right now, with both sides of the political spectrum on LE's case. Eggheads tend to do that.

And I think the writer side of him went overboard with the hyperbole.

And the result is that all everyone heard was "Obey my commands or get shot, tased, pepper sprayed, hit with a club or thrown to the ground."

Comment

And yes, the headlines that were attached to this IMO were deliberately intended to put the worst possible spin on these comments.

Comment

A drive by media outlet using a LEO's quotes out of context in order to keep their spin going??

Say it isn't so!!!

Comment

IMO there is fault in both places here. I really don't think he was taken out of context, although he claimed he was in his CNN interview. I think he was trying to make a point, a very valid point, with his language, but he went overboard and opened the door for the response that he's gotten. I've used this line before, don't metaphorically paint a bull's eye on your jaw, stick it out and say, "Hit me," then get bent out of shape when somebody throws a left hook.

At the same time, lots of folks in the media ... especially snark merchants like Gawker; makes my head hurt to refer to them as "the media" ... have gone overboard in piling on this because they have an agenda. And it's probably a different agenda than a lot of you folks think. I know the company line is, "The media is liberal." I'm not going to deny that some of that's there, I'd be lying if I did, although my particular cubicle of the media actually is pretty darn conservative and at the least moderate (and I'm actually aware of some cases nearby where you have a spouse in LE and the other spouse works in the media).

What the media is, always has been, is anti-authority, even authority that is applied in rational, legal, pretty much common sense ways. The trade attracts a lot of folks who were the class clowns and the disobedient children and the Peter Pans who never grew up, who always had a problem with people telling 'em what to do and cramping their style. There's an innate suspicion and resentment of anyone, anything, any entity that exercises authority, and that IMO is the biggest rub between lots of media folks and LE, although again, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some political aspect to it.

Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post
                  A drive by media outlet using a LEO's quotes out of context in order to keep their spin going??

Say it isn't so!!!
                  Last edited by Ink Stained Wretch; 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ink Stained Wretch View Post
                    There's an innate suspicion and resentment of anyone, anything, any entity that exercises authority, and that IMO is the biggest rub between lots of media folks and LE, although again, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some political aspect to it.
                    Ding ding ding!! Everything IS political, today more so then ever with the 2 sided divide to absolutely everything we say, hear, and do.

People who say they hate politics and can't be bothered to pay attention to what's going on in our country get played by politicians through the media outlet and/or Hollywood more then any other group of voters out there.

I'll use the politicization of the NFL as the latest example on a big scale...

Comment

I think more people need to watch, share, tweet, and whatever THIS video:

Comment

I'll just leave this here...

- Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post

I shared it a few places. Comment left below his vid:

"Like I said **** this nigga and you white mofos that's getting hella happy cause a none nigga on video thinks he knows what the **** he is talking bout all I see if a fake *** nigga trying to be funny ..but not saying **** on how The Black Needs to change ..**** Is this nigga or anybody to tell the next person they need to change wtf..u dumb white mofos ..same white mofos that think he makes point is the same white KKK mofos that call us niggas so what we call ourself nigga.. U call us ****** with smiles on your faces but u think this fake *** nigga making a point ..lol..ok I hear u ..hope he reading this with his Mark ass"

Very sad. If he only knew how much damage is done talking/acting like that. Damn shame.
                          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Why do any cops talk to media people?

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post

Oh No he dinnit!

Brave guy.....he's gonna catch hell for it but I guess he can handle it, too.
                              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4930 users online. 263 members and 4667 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X