• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Incident

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=271781751

Accidental self-inflicted gunshot kills HPD officer
    By Leila Fujimori

The family of a 39-year-old Honolulu police officer said his death Monday morning was due to a gunshot wound from an accidental discharge of a handgun at his Wilhelmina Rise home Saturday evening.

Jens Magelssen, a Honolulu police officer, was showing his handgun to a friend during a barbecue at his home on Sierra Drive when it accidentally discharged, his uncle Mark Magelssen said.

"There was no intention for anyone to get hurt," he said. "Jens was just showing the gun to someone, and it accidentally went off. No one else shot him and he was not attempting to shoot himself. It was just a terrible, tragic accident.

"It's carelessness on Jens' part, which is unusual because he's usually a very careful person," he said.

Jens Magelssen died Monday morning at the Queen's Medical Center Monday after he was taken off life support, his uncle said.
    The Honolulu medical examiner will conduct an autopsy Tuesday to determine the cause and manner of death.
    "Everybody's still in a state of shock," said Mark Magelssen, who is also an emergency room doctor. "It's very important that people are extremely careful when they handle a gun, even if you're just showing it to someone."

Mark Magelssen, a Kauai resident, said his nephew is originally from Tacoma, Wash., and moved to Hawaii about six years ago to be closer to his son, Luke, 8, who lives here with his mother.
    "He was a very, very attentive and loving father, so it's been a real tragedy for the family," he said, adding that although he never married, he had been very involved in his son's care.
    "Ever since he was a young boy, he's always had a very gentle, kind and loving heart," Mark Magelssen said.
    He was also a very good athlete and completed a triathlon in Canada, he added.
    Jens Magelssen was surrounded by his family when he died, including son Luke and his mother.
    Magelssen's parents, David and Penelope, arrived in Honolulu from Blane, Wash., and his sister Ruth also lives here.
    He said the family was touched by the outpouring of support from his fellow officers, who visited him while he was hospitalized.
    "He enjoyed his work and was really developing some great friendships within the police department here," he said.
    The family was also grateful for the wonderful care at Queen's and the care and concern shown by the police department.
    HPD spokeswoman Michelle Yu declined to confirm whether Magelssen was an officer, except to say that police are investigating the death.
    His LinkedIn page shows he joined the Honolulu Police Department in April 2008. He served as a corrections officer with the Washington State Department of Corretions from 2004 to 2008 and a mental health counselor with the Monroe Correctional Complex, Special Offenders Unit, for nearly a year.
    He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Washington, Tacoma, in 2000 and attended the Pacific Lutheran University from 1994 to 1996.
    He is also survived by sister Faith Walker and brother, Finn.
    Not to be cold, cruel, or MMQB the guy, but let's turn this into a learning experience and call it what it is. Dude was NEGLIGENT. He violated basic firearms safety rules. Mainly keeping it pointed in a safe direction. Sure hope others learn from this and keep guns pointed in a safe direction AND keep fingers off of the trigger unless they're ready to shoot.

Incidents like this get my blood boiling. The way it's written up in the media makes it so much worse.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
    Incidents like this get my blood boiling. The way it's written up in the media makes it so much worse.
    You mean because the media believes in a mythical occurrence known as "accidental discharge"? I think that's because the media in general doesn't like firearms. The media also doesn't like firearms education, or the responsibility that comes with firearms. Instead, they prefer to blame guns (yes, the objects themselves) for any bad results. Since that's the level of their understanding, I don't expect them to grasp the concept that there is no such thing as an accidental discharge.
    https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

What's sad is his negligent handling of a loaded weapon.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Im curious to know how old this weapon was (or even the age of the handler). I have heard that accidental discharge becomes a more common occurrence the older you get.
        There are 3 sides to every story - Your lawyer, their lawyer, and forensics.

Comment

Number 1 rule is that you never "show" anyone a loaded weapon (unless you intend to kill them).
          Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
          Among Texas' finest
          Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
          Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
          Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Mama
            Im curious to know how old this weapon was ...
            A flying burning ember fragment from a hickory barbecue could conceivably cause a discharge of e.g. a flintlock or matchlock black powder gun. A modern gun won't fire unless something actuates the trigger. The journalist would do better to say the gun was accidentally fired than to say "it accidentally went off".

... (or even the age of the handler). I have heard that accidental discharge becomes a more common occurrence the older you get.
            I wouldn't go quail hunting with Dick Cheney, not because he's old, but because he's unsafe.
            Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Mama View Post
              Im curious to know how old this weapon was (or even the age of the handler). I have heard that accidental discharge becomes a more common occurrence the older you get.
              Article stated that he was 39 years old.
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

This article is another great example of how "journalists" don't bother doing anything to actually explain circumstances. Putting aside the fact that there is almost never such a thing as an "accidental" discharge for a minute, how does someone who is a "careful person" end up getting shot with his own weapon? This reminds me of the guy earlier this year (or maybe last year) that put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger to "prove it wasn't loaded" to his friend. Of course, the gun "went off" and killed the kid, then it was unloaded.

Rule #1 - Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.

Comment

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Every gun is ALWAYS loaded.

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Lessons like this keep being taught over and over because someone somewhere did not learn the easy way. This was no accident, this was negligence.
                  In God We Trust
                  Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I have in fact experienced an accidental discharge. Broken firing pin on a Model B Fox side by side. It is rare, but possible.
                    When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                      I have in fact experienced an accidental discharge. Broken firing pin on a Model B Fox side by side. It is rare, but possible.
                      Okay, that would qualify for an accidental discharge. I thought there might be some other kinds, too, like when a small child finds their father's pistol and shoots a family member in the house. But I realized that's not accidental, either (correct me if I'm wrong): that's negligence, extended from the shooter (child) back to the responsible party (negligent father).

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                        Yep, and I recall reading about a certain brand of rifle that has a defect causing the firing pin to strike the primer while loading a round. I won't speculate the name in case I get it wrong, but the manufacturer recently acknowledged the issue and is offering free repair.

That being said, not a single one of the incidents you read about are due to mechanical malfunctions. They're due to people being stupid with a gun. Like the guy in this story:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Burgl...194975461.html

Originally posted by Max K View Post
                        Okay, that would qualify for an accidental discharge. I thought there might be some other kinds, too, like when a small child finds their father's pistol and shoots a family member in the house. But I realized that's not accidental, either (correct me if I'm wrong): that's negligence, extended from the shooter (child) back to the responsible party (negligent father).
                        That's negligence on so many levels.

Comment

My condolences to the officer's family.

However, the myth of the accidental death/ injury due to unintentional discharge of a firearm needs to be put to rest.

Firearms do not discharge by accident. They do not cause injury by accident.

Absent mechanical failure, which is virtually zero in modern firearms, unintentional discharge is due to negligence.

Injury is due to additional negligence... a DECISION is made to handle the firearm in a way that causes it to discharge, and in a way that causes it to harm someone. A decision.

In order to INJURE or KILL as a result of a negligent discharge you must violate TWO of the four gun handling rules.

You must point the weapon at something you don't intent to shoot OR you must not be sure of your backstop in the direction you're pointing the weapon AND you must have not treated the weapon as loaded OR put a finger on the trigger before you were prepared to shoot. To hurt somebody else or yourself you MUST have broken TWO.

The officer's death is a horrible, awful tragedy... all the more so because it was ENTIRELY avoidable.
                          Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-22-2014, 09:29 PM.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

The myth of the accidental discharge needs to be put to rest? But the media NEEDS that myth to be repeated and kept alive. They need it for their agenda (that guns themselves, as inanimate objects, are a main cause of injury and death and crime). Maybe, with more and more education about guns these days, and persuasive 2nd amendment advocates like Jan Morgan , knowledge about guns will eventually overcome superstition.
                            Last edited by Max K; 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM.

Comment

But the media NEEDS that myth to be repeated and kept alive
                              Hang the media.

I heard somebody on our department range mention an "accidental discharge" just a few days ago.

WE need to bury this myth if we ever expect the media to do so. As long as the "experts", us, keep it alive why should anyone else think different?
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5296 users online. 310 members and 4986 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X