300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Governor Perry Indicted

A grand jury has indicted Republican Texas Gov. Rick Perry for abuse of power after the governor allegedly carried out a threat to veto funding for public corruption prosecutors in the state.

Perry, a potential 2016 presidential hopeful and 2012 Republican presidential candidate, is the first governor of Texas to be indicted in nearly a century.

A special prosecutor spent months calling witnesses and presenting evidence that Perry broke the law when he promised publicly to nix $7.5 million over two years for the public integrity unit, which is run by Travis County District Rosemary Lehmberg's office. Several top aides to Perry appeared before grand jurors in Austin, including his deputy chief of staff, legislative director and general counsel. Perry himself wasn't called to testify.

Mary Anne Wiley, general counsel for Perry, said in a statement that the governor's actions were allowed under the law.

“The veto in question was made in accordance with the veto authority afforded to every governor under the Texas Constitution," she said. "We will continue to aggressively defend the governor's lawful and constitutional action, and believe we will ultimately prevail.”

Perry was indicted by an Austin grand jury on felony counts of abuse of official capacity and coercion of a public servant. Maximum punishment on the first charge is five to 99 years in prison. The second is two to 10 years.

The Texas Democratic Party called on Perry to resign after the indictment was announced, calling the situation "unbecoming" of a Texas governor.

"Governor Rick Perry has brought dishonor to his office, his family and the state of Texas. Texans deserve to have leaders that stand up for what is right and work to help families across Texas," Texas Democratic Party Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa said in a statement.

Perry said Lehmberg, who is based in Austin, should resign after she was arrested and plead guilty to drunken driving in April 2013. A video recording made at the jail showed Lehmberg shouting at staffers to call the sheriff, kicking the door of her cell and sticking her tongue out.

Lehmberg served about half of her 45-day jail sentence but stayed in office, despite Perry's assertions that her behavior was inappropriate.

Perry eventually carried out his veto threat. No one disputes that he is allowed to veto measures approved by the Legislature, including part or all of the state budget.

However, the left-leaning Texans for Public Justice government watchdog group filed an ethics complaint accusing the governor of coercion since he threatened to use his veto before actually doing so in an attempt to pressure Lehmberg to quit.

The indictment is the first of its kind since 1917, when James "Pa" Ferguson was indicted on charges stemming from his veto of state funding to the University of Texas in effort to unseat faculty and staff members he objected to. Ferguson was eventually impeached, then resigned before being convicted -- allowing his wife, Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, to take over the governorship.

In office since 2000 and already the longest-serving governor in Texas history, Perry isn't seeking re-election in November. However, the ongoing criminal investigation could mar his political prospects as he mulls another run at the White House, after his 2012 presidential bid flamed out.

Lehmberg, a Democrat, faced pressure from other high-profile Republicans in addition to Perry to give up her post. Her blood-alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit for driving, and she eventually served about half of a 45-day jail sentence.

Meanwhile, the jail video led to an investigation of Lehmberg by a separate grand jury, which decided she should not be removed for official misconduct.

Lehmberg oversees the office's public integrity unit, which investigates statewide allegations of corruption and political wrongdoing. Perry said he wouldn't allow Texas to fund the unit while Lehmberg remained in charge. He used his line-item veto power to remove funding for the unit from the Texas budget.

Perry and his aides say he didn't break any laws.

"The veto in question was made in accordance with the veto power afforded to every governor under the Texas Constitution, and we remain ready and willing to assist with this inquiry," spokeswoman Lucy Nashed said in April, after the grand jury was convened in the case.

BY THIS WOMAN............

Democrat D.A. Rosemary Lehmberg who got collared for DWI, and was psycho'ed in the holding cell, got convicted and sentenced to jail time, successfully sued to keep her job, then indicted the Republican Governor for objecting to her continued employment as a prosecutor? Got it.

WTF is going on in this country????????????????? I am so disgusted.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

You know, I was thinking about posting this very same story once I found out about it.

I don't know whether Perry did anything unethical or illegal, but even if he did, I smell Wendy Davis' fingers in this one.

She wants Perry out, and I think she'll stop at nothing to accomplish that.
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Perry is out anyway when his term ends.He already said he isnt running again.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
        True, but it seems to me that some people want mud thrown at him just for good measure.
        It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

W t f ??????????????????????????????

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Over....

PtownVAMike
            Originally Posted by jdthor

True, but it seems to me that some people want mud thrown at him just for good measure.

X2

Originally posted by mookster
            Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
            Originally posted by CityCopDC
            I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
            Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
            I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
            -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

The only corruption and misbehavior there is on the part of the democRATs who indicted him.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
                The political machine doesn't want him running for President.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  The political machine doesn't want him running for President.
                  That tells me that he's a good man!

Comment

Sounds like there is corruption in the integrity unit.

I am sick of da's and judged having no accountability. If a cop got a dwi he would be fired upon conviction.

Apparently there are no professional standards for da's.

Comment

Wow!!!

Not a big fan of Perry but this is unbelievable. And how can a DA not resign under these circumstances? 3 times the legal limit? Sorry but any DA or ADA who drives three times the legal limit, curses ate Sheriff's officers and kicks the door of her jail cell has no business being in charge of law enforcement. I would have lost my job before the ink dried on the complaint.

This is simply unreal.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                        Wow!!!

Not a big fan of Perry but this is unbelievable. And how can a DA not resign under these circumstances? 3 times the legal limit? Sorry but any DA or ADA who drives three times the legal limit, curses ate Sheriff's officers and kicks the door of her jail cell has no business being in charge of law enforcement. I would have lost my job before the ink dried on the complaint.

This is simply unreal.
                        My agency charged an assistant prosecutor from a neighboring county this spring on a DUI (accident involvement---so there was no arrest and jail ).

He was a 20 + year prosecutor...............the County Attorney fired him the day after the charges were filed (after the defendant admitted the charges were true)
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So it wasn't the veto but the threat of using the veto? What a bunch of hypocrites.

Comment

A grand jury indictment is often a crock. They only get one side of the story, have no legal training or experience and receive no instructions in the law as would a trial jury.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

What's the old line, a grand jury can indict a ham sandwich if it so chooses?

IMO this stinks of a p**sing contest, but in fairness we should wait and see what happens in court. Maybe the special prosecutor (and there was one in this case) will bring something substantive to the table, if not I don't see a jury convicting Perry. Which is the way it should be if there's no real case.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5703 users online. 335 members and 5368 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X