Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retroactive military seniority

Good afternoon everyone!

I've been on this forum for a little while now and I was hoping someone on the NY thread would be able to answer a couple questions I have about RMS with the NYPD. Just a little background info on myself and the process I had to go through. This way maybe seeing what I had to do might make it easier on the next guy trying to get RMS. I joined the Marine Corps as an Infantryman back in October 2004. Did a bunch of deployments and ended up re-enlisting in 2008. However before I re-enlisted I was going to get out of the Marine Corps. I found out the NYPD was administering a test on Camp Lejuen (where I was stationed with 1st bn 2nd Marines for my first 4 years). I decided why not and took the test in October of 2008, exam number 8044. I received a letter in July 2008 to start my process but I ended up deploying one more time. So the NYPD put me on military hold.

Fast forward to November of 2012 and I fulfilled my second contract and decided it was time to move on. My test did expire however, under section 243 of the NY state military law the NYPD was obligated to keep my test and list number on file. I had to walk in to DCAS and submit proof of my military service using my DD214. About 8 weeks later I recieved a letter from DCAS that gave the NYPD the ability to re-open my investigation. On the letter it stated when I should of been hired and that I MAY be eligible for a retroactive military seniority date of July 8 2008. Now keep in mind this is not the letter that allows you to receive military seniority this letter just states that one is eligible for RMS. I was hired by the NYPD on July 9th 2013. Upon further investigation I found out that in order for my RMS to be finalized I had to submit the DCAS letter to the military extended leave desk. What they do is draft a new letter stating that one is approved for RMS. A copy of the letter goes to the precient and the other gets faxed to the pension fund office. I recieved that letter yesterday, and I am unable to speak to a representative until next week, because the individual who handles RMS is on vacation.

The above statement brings me to a couple questions. I know that I will fall under the tier 2 pension program, I know that it will add 6 years up front (keep in mind this is NOT the military buy back program, that's differnt) to my time on as a NYC police officer. I also know that I will accrue my vacation as if I had a total of 7 years on the job. What I am unsure of is if this will put me at top pay? And how much do I have to contribute on back pay into the system? Anyway I appreciate any and all help and if any combat vets have any questions regarding the first steps in this process let me know. It took a lot of getting the run around but I was able to get solid contacts and a good grasp of this whole process from start to finish. Just unsure of the benifits at this time.
    Exam Date: 10/2008
    Exam- 8044 List- XX
    USMC EAS: Nov 12 2012
    Medical- 12/2012
    Mini Medical- 5/2013
    Written and Oral Psych- 12/2012
    JST- 06/2013- 2:42

July 2013 Academy

Good luck, 51.

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaPeel View Post
      Good luck, 51.
      I appreciate it emmapeel. We'll see how it goes on Monday I guess. I don't think to many oofficers/vets have gone through this process.
      Exam- 8044 List- XX
      Medical- 12/2012
      Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

Originally posted by 03USMC51 View Post
        I appreciate it emmapeel. We'll see how it goes on Monday I guess. I don't think to many oofficers/vets have gone through this process.
        Let us know, Marine.

Comment

Are there any NYPD cops/veterans or, any NYC workers for that matter, that had to go through the process I described in my original post? Maybe something similar that would be able to help me out???
          Exam- 8044 List- XX
          Medical- 12/2012
          Mini Medical- 5/2013

July 2013 Academy

Comment

Originally posted by 03USMC51 View Post
            Are there any NYPD cops/veterans or, any NYC workers for that matter, that had to go through the process I described in my original post? Maybe something similar that would be able to help me out???
            51, did you post in the New York Section? Many times those guys don't even look up at this forum. Also try there.

Comment

Falls under LOCAL DISCUSSION GROUPS. Scroll down to that area and then all 50 states are listed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5053 users online. 261 members and 4792 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X