Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A stupid law, and a stupid situation

http://www.wjbf.com/story/26274180/w...g-f-word-talks

You may want to think twice before using some four letter words in public...

A CSRA mother is facing charges after a witness says she used profanity toward her children.

A loaf of bread and a few choice words now have Danielle Wolf in hot water.

Wolf moved to South Carolina with her family three weeks ago and a night at a grocery store has her wanting to move back to Ohio.

"He was like, 'You're under arrest'...right in front of kids, in front of my husband, in front of customers." said Wolf, of the North Augusta Department of Public Safety who arrested her.

Wolf recalls the night she was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct at the Kroger store located on Knox Avenue, in North Augusta.

She says a woman shopping in the store followed Wolf and her family. "She's like, 'you said the f-word', and I'm like, 'when did I say this to my kids?" Wolf told us.

According to the incident report, Wolf was shopping at Kroger with her kids, going down the bread aisle, when they kept squeezing the bread and that's when she said the word that got her arrested.

Read The Incident Report Here (Warning: graphic language is used in the report)

"It's seems a little extreme," said Amy Sawicz, who shops at the store.

Fellow shopper Terry Hunt said, "parents, we don't guide our children in the proper way."

Wolf says that's not what happened. "She's like, 'you told that they were smashing the bread', and I said 'no' I said that to my husband, that he was smashing the bread by throwing the frozen pizzas on top of it," said Wolf.

According to North Augusta law, disorderly conduct generally means, to "utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets."

Wolf says the woman later said she didn't want her arrested, but it was too late.

"I didn't harm nobody. I didn't hurt nobody. The lady said she was having a bad day. So, because you're having a bad day you're going to ruin somebody's life," said Wolf.

Though the North Augusta Department of Public Safety provided WJBF News Channel 6 with a copy of the law, investigating officers wouldn't comment on the case.

The woman who says she witnessed the incident said she saw Wolf use the f-word repeatedly and Wolf started cursing at her after she approached Wolf. The woman says she wasn't having a bad day and that hearing Wolf use those words brought her back to her abusive childhood.

Wolf is due in court on September 12th.

Actions have consequences and what you say, matters. Apparently, this lady is learning that lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by yngcp89 View Post
      Actions have consequences and what you say, matters. Apparently, this lady is learning that lesson.
      It matters in the few municipalities who are short-sighted enough to vote away their rights. Swearing at one's kids is certainly a sign of a lackluster parent, but it is of no business to law enforcement unless it becomes egregious, systematic, unwarranted abuse. Swearing can also serve as a very useful tool in situations where you need to command attention for safety reasons. By having a law against it on the books, it can be held against people subjectively and indiscriminately.

I'm also of the belief that the police should not be bothered with such petty matters. If your cat gets stuck in a tree, hire someone with a ladder. If you hear someone swear in a grocery store, and it deeply bothers you, just move away from them. She's probably the type who'd have called if she saw a parent spank a misbehaving kid as well. Calling in the police was inappropriate, and a disservice to those in her area who were actually experiencing emergencies.

Comment

It's tough to know what really happened. I tend to doubt that the cops just showed up and put her in cuffs for swearing. Unless that officer was one of those hard nosed types that never gives warnings, I'm betting that she caused a lot more commotion to get herself arrested.

Yeah, maybe it's a stupid law, but it's still a law. We can't be outraged at police officers who are just doing their job. I'm also really tired of this sense of entitlement that everyone has, and the idea that if you don't agree with a law, you should be able to ignore it and expect no consequences.
        "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
        -Chris Rock

Comment

Disorderly conduct is disorderly conduct. Granted, in Texas its a citation, but its a STATE criminal law, that has been on the books for many years
          Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

The news, as always, is taking the one side of the story without any research. Sound familiar? (MO). I don't see any LEO walking up and hooking someone for swearing at their children. We simply don't have the time or the concern. The arrestee in this case probably kept it going after LEOs arrived or was loud enough to cause a disturbance in half the store. There's a difference in disciplining your child and causing an unnecessary spectacle in a place of business. If I had to take a wild guess I would say she was likely guilty of the latter.
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Here, that would be a state law violation. Disorderly conduct has stood the test in the courts before. And like has been pointed out, there has to be more to this story. But, all the same, if you are going to cause a disturbance, which this lady clearly was, then there are consequences. It really isn't that difficult. Don't bother other people, go about your business and handle it like an adult, and you likely will not have to deal with law enforcement.

Comment

According to North Augusta law, disorderly conduct generally means, to "utter, while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets."

GangGreen712
                It's tough to know what really happened. I tend to doubt that the cops just showed up and put her in cuffs for swearing. Unless that officer was one of those hard nosed types that never gives warnings, I'm betting that she caused a lot more commotion to get herself arrested.

Yeah, maybe it's a stupid law, but it's still a law. We can't be outraged at police officers who are just doing their job. I'm also really tired of this sense of entitlement that everyone has, and the idea that if you don't agree with a law, you should be able to ignore it and expect no consequences.
                Concur wid Fellow civie and RTF counselor...

Yup, da' Admiral always say, "Cops don't write stupidity, but they are sworn to uphold it"..Not da' cops fault.

SgtScott31
                The news, as always, is taking the one side of the story without any research. Sound familiar? (MO). I don't see any LEO walking up and hooking someone for swearing at their children. We simply don't have the time or the concern. The arrestee in this case probably kept it going after LEOs arrived or was loud enough to cause a disturbance in half the store. There's a difference in disciplining your child and causing an unnecessary spectacle in a place of business. If I had to take a wild guess I would say she was likely guilty of the latter.

O.COM dollar to a cream filled donut, Sire Officer SgtScottzter's tiz' right...Again....

And besides, I hook her too!!!!

Anybody know ta' teach thar' young'ins not ta' squeeze da' sharmin, NOT da' bread'z...
                Originally posted by mookster
                Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                Originally posted by CityCopDC
                I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                  It matters in the few municipalities who are short-sighted enough to vote away their rights. It's far more than a few municipalities. It's a law across the entire state of Texas.

I'm also of the belief that the police should not be bothered with such petty matters. If your cat gets stuck in a tree, hire someone with a ladder. If you hear someone swear in a grocery store, and it deeply bothers you, just move away from them. She's probably the type who'd have called if she saw a parent spank a misbehaving kid as well. Calling in the police was inappropriate, and a disservice to those in her area who were actually experiencing emergencies.
                  I agree. Maybe first try complaining to the management at the store. If the lady is really creating a disturbance store mgmt can kick her butt outta there.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                    I agree. Maybe first try complaining to the management at the store. If the lady is really creating a disturbance store mgmt can kick her butt outta there.
                    AND if that doesn't work---------------------the manager calls the cops and she gets arrested

Then the story makes the news and someone complains about her getting arrested for swearing at her kids
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Man, if only I could count all the times my old-school Italian late grandmother swore, threw a shoe/slipper, or chased me around with the wooden spoon she was using to cook sauce. I can remember crawling around her house as a pre-teen and then sitting in a chair without her knowing. She would turn around, get scared by the fact I was suddenly there, and then go off. She was a child in Italy during WWII, and spent a lot of time hiding and stealing from Nazis, even killed a couple with her friends. She called me a Nazi a couple times when I would sneak around.

I wouldn't trade that for the world.
                      “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

I really liked the part where she said this ruined her life.A life over for saying the F word over smashed bread.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
                          I really liked the part where she said this ruined her life.A life over for saying the F word over smashed bread.
                          No, the mean old jack-booted Nazi militarized thugs with guns ruined her life for exercising her right to free speech.

Duh.
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                            It matters in the few municipalities who are short-sighted enough to vote away their rights. Swearing at one's kids is certainly a sign of a lackluster parent, but it is of no business to law enforcement unless it becomes egregious, systematic, unwarranted abuse. Swearing can also serve as a very useful tool in situations where you need to command attention for safety reasons. By having a law against it on the books, it can be held against people subjectively and indiscriminately.
                            Municipalities? You better check OCGA 16-11-39(a)(3). This is not a municipal code. It is state law. Profanity in the presence of a child under the age of 14 is illegal in the state of Georgia when it can result in a breach of the peace.
                            Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

I've read a couple of people respond with comments like, "It's tough to know what really happened. I tend to doubt that the cops just showed up and put her in cuffs for swearing" or "The news, as always, is taking the one side of the story without any research. Sound familiar? (MO). I don't see any LEO walking up and hooking someone for swearing at their children. We simply don't have the time or the concern". [I DID NOT REPLY WITH QUOTES BECAUSE THIS ISN'T INTENDED AS SPECIFIC TOWARDS ANYONE.]

The OP in addition to posting a copy of a news story provided a link to the original story. Listed in the story is a link to the released police report. So I went and clicked the link and clicked the link to the police report. [At one point in the report, the North Augusta DPS screws up and doesn't redact the name of the witness.]

According to the police report, the officer received a complaint of a woman yelling at her children and using profane language and the statement about the bread. According to the report, the officer interviewed the witness and then the witness identified the mother. The officer interviewed the mother and the mother admitted to saying the statement about the bread. The witness stated that she would testify and the officer made the arrest.

Those are all what the officer submitted in his report.

Now I am not from South Carolina and I am not familiar with their laws. Disorderly Conduct in SC must be what we call a Probable Cause Misdemeanor in that the crime need not be committed in the presence of the officer for an arrest to be made. I really hate to Monday Morning Quarterback another officer but all things being equal, there is nothing wrong with taking a report, submitting an arrest warrant to the local Prosecutor and letting their officer make a determination about whether criminal charges are warranted.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5506 users online. 305 members and 5201 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X