300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An appropriate sentence for a burglary charge

It's too bad that the perp had to burglarize a celebrity for it to happen, but I'll still take it:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/notice-...nk-aaron/ngtqK

Notice to home burglars: Don’t mess with Hank Aaron

A defendant received an exceedingly rare in Fulton County 50-year sentence Monday for burglarizing a home.
    The home? Atlanta hero and baseball great Hank Aaron’s.

Superior Court Judge Shawn LaGrua sentenced 24-year-old Isiah Slaton to eight years to serve in prison and 42 years on probation for stealing, among other objects, Aaron’s baseball rings destined for the Hall of Fame.

In his victim impact statement, Aaron told how he felt “violated” by the crime and how the items that were stolen from him were simply “priceless.”

Slaton pleaded guilty Monday to burglary and theft on the eve of a trial with two other men with whom he was indicted for allegedly ransacking the Aaron house on July 14, 2013. The loot also included Aaron’s two BMWs and considerable jewelry, District Attorney Paul Howard announced in a news release.

Hank and Billye Aaron were in New York for the All-Star Game when burglars disabled the alarm system and entered their southwest Atlanta home. Aaron missed a call from his alarm company and the next day asked a neighbor to investigate. The neighbor saw the broken window and called police.

The thieves had disabled the alarm system, but they were unable to disengage the BMWs’ “LoJack” systems and dumped one of the cars about a mile from the home and the other was found in Cobb County. Investigators were able to lift fingerprints from at least one car.

Investigators made an arrest within three weeks of the break-in.

On Tuesday, jury selection begins in the trial of Amir Coleman, one of the other men accused of the burglary. The case against the third man, Edward Buford, is also still pending.

One of Howard’s top prosecutors, Deputy District Attorney Shondeana Morris — who has persuaded a Fulton jury to award a rare death penalty previously — is overseeing the case.

As an Atlanta Brave, Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s record of 714 career home runs on April 8, 1974. He hit his 755th and final home run on July 20, 1976, a home run record that stood for almost three decades.

He got 8 years in prison-----------------NOT 50

The 42 yrs on PROBATION is not an incarceration and is meaningless
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      He got 8 years in prison-----------------NOT 50

The 42 yrs on PROBATION is not an incarceration and is meaningless
      8 years here would be a stroke of luck to get for someone unless they have 3-4 felony convictions already. 8 years probation seems like a more common thing for someone that age.

Comment

Burglary in Iowa is a 10 yr sentence................would have to have a significant record to get prison but if the judge DID sentence it is an indeterminate 1-10 yrs (non violent with good behavior would serve 18 months to 3 yrs)
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Probably is a fifty year on installment plan sentence. I doubt he or his cohorts can stay out of trouble for 42 years.
          When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
            Probably is a fifty year on installment plan sentence. I doubt he or his cohorts can stay out of trouble for 42 years.
            He will discharge that probation LONG before 40 yrs---Most likely it will be considered an illegal sentence by the appellate courts

Comment

An appropriate sentence for a burglary charge

Get rid of probation and sentence criminals per the law before they started putting in all the touchy-feely crap. Felonies, generally three years. Misdemeanors, six months. No early out, no suspended sentences. Don't like it? Don't be a criminal. It really is that easy.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

In Iowa probation comes after the sentence----------------

We staart felony convictions at 5 yrs............up to life, be have parole on everything but life

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                Get rid of probation and sentence criminals per the law before they started putting in all the touchy-feely crap. Felonies, generally three years. Misdemeanors, six months. No early out, no suspended sentences. Don't like it? Don't be a criminal. It really is that easy.

Comment

Here in CA, inmates typically only serve about 50% of their sentence, and that's before any "good behavior" et al gets added in to reduce to the total time served. Even the really bad apples only do 80% time.

Comment

They parole at 50%. The early release on parole is for good behavior. County jail custody prior to sentencing is factored in as credit for time served, which can result in less than 50% time being served. Serious felonies are 85%.

This assumes that anyone actually gets sent to prison, and that early releases are on parole, rather than PRCS.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Burglary here carries a ten year maximum. You'd most likely have to have at least one prior to get sentenced to imprisonment.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5113 users online. 271 members and 4842 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X