Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And it gets better in NY

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/ma...eapons-charges

(Reuters) - A man who filmed a New York City police officer use a choke hold on a suspect who later died has been arrested on weapons charges, law enforcement officials said on Sunday.

Ramsey Orta, 22, and a 17-year-old female were spotted on Saturday outside a known drug location on Staten Island by narcotics officers who saw Orta put a handgun in his companion's waistband, the New York Police Department said.

Orta, who has a previous criminal conviction, faces two charges of criminal possession of a weapon.

At some point during his arrest, Orta told officers, "You're just mad because I filmed your boy," an NYPD spokeswoman said.

The comment was apparently in reference to the July 17 cellphone video shot by Orta during the arrest of Eric Garner, who was placed in a choke hold by a police officer while being detained for peddling illegal cigarettes.

Garner later died, and the New York City medical examiner ruled the his death a homicide.

Footage of the incident circulated widely on the Internet, triggering outrage and raising questions about police tactics and use of force.

The choke hold is banned by the NYPD, which says it is investigating why the maneuver was used.

Police did not immediately comment on Orta's assertion that he was arrested as retribution for taking the video.

The New York City Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, the largest union representing NYPD officers, said in a statement that it was "criminals like Mr. Orta who carry illegal firearms who stand to benefit the most by demonizing the good work of police officers."

"Sadly, in the effort to keep neighborhoods like Tompkinsville safe, a tragedy occurred. But that doesn't change the fact that police officers routinely risk their lives for the benefit of the community," the statement said.

(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere; Editing by Daniel Wallis; Editing by Sandra Maler)

Which goes to show that before you begin to criticize a cop (or videotape in the hopes of "catching" a cop doing something wrong), you'd better make sure your hands are as clean as possible.
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Typical criminal attitude..."I'm too smart to be caught doing something illegal"!

(How often have we heard THAT one?)

Ski

Comment

--deleted--
        Last edited by SuperDude913; 10-25-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

2yrs old and 24 collars. Currently under psych eval. Defense attorney can have fun with him on the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
            Typical criminal attitude..."I'm too smart to be caught doing something illegal"!

(How often have we heard THAT one?)

Ski
            If I looked through your taxes, I would find a felony. Guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Erasthenes View Post
              If I looked through your taxes, I would find a felony. Guaranteed.
              ^^^^^
              What??

Please explain...

P.S. I seriously doubt it!
              Last edited by codemanski; 08-06-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Yesterday afternoon Orta's wife was arrested for assault.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                  Yesterday afternoon Orta's wife was arrested for assault.
                  Did she put a choke hold on her hubby when he got out of jail?
                  I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Im going to make a educated guess here considering this fine fellow just happened to be standing around with his phone to film the original arrest and say he possibly might have instigated the resisting arrest of the other guy,Just possibly .Just seems to random that this fine upstanding law abiding citizen just happened to be there filming it to me.

Comment

I think you are all missing the point here......this is all Bush's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDude913 View Post
                        I feel so bad for this guy.....................oh wait, no I don't. "You're just mad because I filmed your boy". Nah I think they are mad because some dirtbag felon is carrying a gun. Good job NYPD, and Orta......**** you. Enjoy prison.
                        Prison? This is NY. All charges will be dismissed with apologies from the court. The police who arrested him will be ordered to pay restitution to the "victim" for allowing society to crumble to the point where he felt that he needed to carry an illegal gun. If the police were more vigilant fine citizens like this would be able to carry out their drug deals without fear of violence.

That said, this is Staten Island, which leans a little further right than the rest of the City. Maybe there's a chance...

Comment

Originally posted by codemanski View Post
                          ^^^^^
                          What??

Please explain...

P.S. I seriously doubt it!
                          What I mean is that no matter honest you are, you made some small mistake in the past, and like everyone else can become a felon if put into the crucible.

Comment

Originally posted by Erasthenes View Post
                            What I mean is that no matter honest you are, you made some small mistake in the past, and like everyone else can become a felon if put into the crucible.
                            Rubbish!
                            No one "...becomes a felon if put into the crucible"...they choose to be what they are. It's not magic!

Good day sir!

Ski

Comment

You know, felonies aren't really something you can stumble in to on accident. That's kind of the whole point. I have yet to come across a criminal that stumbled into 7-11 and accidentally ended up robbing the place. An error or mistake on your taxes doesn't make you a felon. Unless you refuse to correct it. Even the IRS doesn't believe that. Now intentionally lying on your taxes might. But, even with that, they still generally allow you to fix it, rather than put you in prison. And felonies are the opposite of small mistakes. They are major crimes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2368 users online. 130 members and 2238 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X