Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. sues Pa. State Police, saying physical fitness test discriminates against women

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. sues Pa. State Police, saying physical fitness test discriminates against women

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ce_saying.html
    HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — The Pennsylvania State Police, one of the nation's largest forces, is faced with ending the physical fitness tests it gives to applicants for state trooper positions or defending in court a practice that the federal government says illegally discriminates against women.

The Justice Department's 10-page lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Harrisburg. A spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania State Police said Tuesday evening that the agency's lawyers had not seen the lawsuit yet and could not comment on it.

With 4,677 sworn members, Pennsylvania State Police troopers provide protection for much of Pennsylvania.

The lawsuit said the use of the tests to screen and select the applicants for the entry-level positions amounted to a pattern of employment discrimination. Much greater percentages of male applicants than female applicants passed the physical fitness tests going back to 2003, it said.

As a result, the state police had failed to hire dozens of women for entry-level trooper positions on an equal basis with men, it said.

Had female applicants passed the test at the same rate as men between 2003 and 2012, approximately 119 additional women would have merited further consideration for the jobs and approximately 45 more would have been hired as entry-level troopers, the Justice Department said.

The practice violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and does not qualify under the law as a business necessity, it said.

"The Department of Justice is deeply committed to eliminating artificial barriers that keep qualified women out of public safety work," Jocelyn Samuels, acting assistant attorney general for the department's civil rights division, said in a statement.

A test begun in 2003 consisted of a 300-meter run, sit-ups, push-ups, a vertical jump and a 1.5-mile run, the lawsuit said. The test carried cut-off scores for each of the five events, and the state police required that applicants pass each event, it said.

From 2003 to 2008, 94 percent of male applicants passed the fitness test, while 71 percent of female applicants passed. Under a similar test administered in 2009 through 2012, 98 percent of male applicants passed, while 72 percent of female applicants passed, the lawsuit said.

The Justice Department sued the city of Corpus Christi, Texas, in 2012, stating similar allegations. The city settled the lawsuit last year, approving a $700,000 settlement for female police applicants who had failed the test. Corpus Christi police also agreed to stop using the test and hire 18 women who did not pass the test, but were considered eligible to be officers.
    “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

I'll save you some Google searching.

Applicant Requirements:
    Vertical Jump: 14 inches, 3 Attempts
    1 RM Bench Press: Not applicable
    Illinois Agility Run: 23.5 Seconds, 2 Attempts
    300-Meter Run: 77 Seconds
    Push Ups: 13 Repetitions (no time limit)
    1.5 Mile Run: 17 Minutes and 48 Seconds

Graduation Requirements:
    Vertical Jump: 18 inches, 3 Attempts
    1 RM Bench Press: 85% Body Weight
    Illinois Agility Run: 19.5 Seconds, 2 Attempts
    300-Meter Run: 65 Seconds
    Push Ups: 30 Repetitions (no time limit)
    1.5 Mile Run: 14 Minutes and 50 Seconds

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...cedures/474394
    “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post

Applicant Requirements:
      Vertical Jump: 14 inches, 3 Attempts
      1 RM Bench Press: Not applicable
      Illinois Agility Run: 23.5 Seconds, 2 Attempts
      300-Meter Run: 77 Seconds
      Push Ups: 13 Repetitions (no time limit)
      1.5 Mile Run: 17 Minutes and 48 Seconds

Graduation Requirements:
      Vertical Jump: 18 inches, 3 Attempts
      1 RM Bench Press: 85% Body Weight
      Illinois Agility Run: 19.5 Seconds, 2 Attempts
      300-Meter Run: 65 Seconds
      Push Ups: 30 Repetitions (no time limit)

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...cedures/474394
      The only people the above test discriminates against are people who are out of shape to the point that they couldn't do police work anyway.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Carrying how heavy of a log or sandbag?

Comment

I feel safer already.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
            The only people the above test discriminates against are people who are out of shape to the point that they couldn't do police work anyway.

IMO whenever a department lowers their qualifications, be it physical, medical, educational or backgrounds they conceded to what has become the American Standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
              Thanks for the time saver! Actually our applicant requirements are closer to their graduation requirements, and they're perfectly reasonable. I would say eliminating the physical fitness test would be setting people up for failure in the academy...unless they plan to eliminate the physical training in the academy too.

The practice violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and does not qualify under the law as a business necessity, it said.
              How does demonstrating an appropriate level physical fitness in order to meet the physical demands of being a police officer not qualify as a business necessity?

The Justice Department sued the city of Corpus Christi, Texas, in 2012, stating similar allegations. The city settled the lawsuit last year, approving a $700,000 settlement for female police applicants who had failed the test. Corpus Christi police also agreed to stop using the test and hire 18 women who did not pass the test, but were considered eligible to be officers.
              I would be embarrassed to accept money or a job under those circumstances.
              "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Unbelievable. I applaud PA for having ONE standard (albeit pathetic) to pass, as most agencies seem to have lower standards for females. Isn't that discriminatory against male applicants?

If you're gonna do the job, the standards should be the same.

Comment

They should eliminate background checks next because it discriminates against people with prior criminal convictions who are otherwise eligible to be officers.

Comment

It's Eric Holder's Justice Department.

Nothing to see here folks, move along................
                    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Police Academy all over again! Women couldn't pass a nearby city's fire department physical agility test so they gave some of the female applicants a year long membership to a local gym. After they went through it again after about a year of training, still none of them passed.
                      I want the biggest and baddest fire person, who after running up several flights of stairs in their heavy, restrictive and hot fire suit and boots, wearing their Scott airpack and carrying a heavy hose and other gear, to be able to effectively rescue me and my family while being of sound mine under a huge stress load. Saving my property would also be good in addition. If there are women out there who can do that as good as the few men out there who can do that, more power to them.

The same with LEOs. Not everyone who wants to be a LEO should be "granted" the position just because of their drive and desire. We all need to be able to defend ourselves, protect others and be able apprehend those who don't want to be apprehended. We also need to reassure the public by our physical appearance and professionalism that we can handle the job. I don't curse, but here it goes: WE ARE FRACKEN NINE WON WON DANGIT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
                        It's Eric Holder's INJustice Department.

Nothing to see here folks, move along................
                        I fixed it for you. Holder's private DOINJ is a home grown terrorist organization.
                        September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Everyone here is looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps another approach should be taken. Why not get the PA legislature to pass a law that requires any criminal or suspect encountering a female state trooper to run slower, hit softer and act less aggressively?

Problem solved!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Everyone here is looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps another approach should be taken. Why not get the PA legislature to pass a law that requires any criminal or suspect encountering a female state trooper to run slower, hit softer and act less aggressively?

Problem solved!
                            Sorry but NYC is already doing that.
                            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by ftttu View Post
                              Police Academy all over again! Women couldn't pass a nearby city's fire department physical agility test so they gave some of the female applicants a year long membership to a local gym. After they went through it again after about a year of training, still none of them passed.
                              I want the biggest and baddest fire person, who after running up several flights of stairs in their heavy, restrictive and hot fire suit and boots, wearing their Scott airpack and carrying a heavy hose and other gear, to be able to effectively rescue me and my family while being of sound mine under a huge stress load. Saving my property would also be good in addition. If there are women out there who can do that as good as the few men out there who can do that, more power to them.

The same with LEOs. Not everyone who wants to be a LEO should be "granted" the position just because of their drive and desire. We all need to be able to defend ourselves, protect others and be able apprehend those who don't want to be apprehended. We also need to reassure the public by our physical appearance and professionalism that we can handle the job. I don't curse, but here it goes: WE ARE FRACKEN NINE WON WON DANGIT!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6117 users online. 345 members and 5772 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X