Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ateamer
    replied
    For California, an industrial disability retirement (aka being medicaled out) is 50%, tax free, for life. There is also a disability rating, but that is just to determine how much you get in compensation for the injury. The rating does not affect the pension. There are a couple myths that have gone around for years. One is that if your disability rating is 50% or more, they have to retire you. Not true. You will be retired if you cannot return to work; the rating has nothing to do with it. The sole determinant is whether you can be cleared for unrestricted duty.

The second myth is that your disability rating means that percentage of your pension is tax free. Totally false. A California industrial disability retirement is 50% of your final year's pay, tax-free, for life with an annual COLA. If you have accrued enough PERS years that you are at over 50% when you are medicaled out, then anything above that 50% is taxed.

Don't be one of the retired officers who gets in trouble with the IRS because you followed locker room advice and traditional beliefs rather than facts. Study up on this stuff if you have a worker's como injury.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    If I had a LOD injury that put me out of the game, I would draw 70% of my base pay with no deductions, full medical insurance until I turn 60 then it would go to 50% of my base, adjusted for inflation. The OP is either hooey or is getting hosed.
    It's not that way a lot of places..............................Iowa IPERS you get 60% and MAYBE have your service related problems taken care of.............

It's one of the bad things about our retirement ...................

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
    Wow , not sure how it works where he was employed but here if you get medical retirement you retire at 75 % pay as compared to a normal 50% pay retirement.
    If I had a LOD injury that put me out of the game, I would draw 70% of my base pay with no deductions, full medical insurance until I turn 60 then it would go to 50% of my base, adjusted for inflation. The OP is either hooey or is getting hosed.

Leave a comment:

• Yankee_1
    replied
    Wow , not sure how it works where he was employed but here if you get medical retirement you retire at 75 % pay as compared to a normal 50% pay retirement.

Leave a comment:

• You Prepared if you get injured on the job? I wasn't

Please read my story and add me to your prayer lists. Sadly links to other articles contained in the newsletter show that this is a widespread problem with public servants, and the news has show our military veterans too. Medical care is delayed, denied, and ignored... I have learned that you must be your own advocate, ask for second opinions, document every detail of medical appointments, immediately get medical records from doctors and put them in a binder, and ask doctors to write down what they explain verbally (which is not usually the case with any medical appointments - one of many reasons most of the higher quality doctors avoid work comp cases like you are a leper because its extra documentation, less pay, or they end up stiffed medical bills and dragged into legal battles). Also keep a journal with notes from your medical appointments and submit it to the doctors to add to their files and to the case worker, so months or years later they do not try to misrepresent medical history or facts just to save money at the cost of your pain and suffering. Document your medical case like you would an investigation that needs to be ready for court.

My story written by a friend doing a fundraiser so I do not go homeless (its G rated to whats really happened)
    http://gfwd.at/1pkUSlf

Newsletter from police fitness company:
    http://fitforce.typepad.com/fitforce...r-can-you.html

Cops in TX really good one to read:
    http://www.fwweekly.com/2013/12/18/a-maze-of-pain/

Firefighters in MD:
    http://www.gazette.net/article/20130...mplate=gazette

When you get hired you do not research how injured officers are treated at that agency, and if you did it would raise major red flags. But it is something to look into....

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6239 users online. 342 members and 5897 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X