300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Prepared if you get injured on the job? I wasn't

Please read my story and add me to your prayer lists. Sadly links to other articles contained in the newsletter show that this is a widespread problem with public servants, and the news has show our military veterans too. Medical care is delayed, denied, and ignored... I have learned that you must be your own advocate, ask for second opinions, document every detail of medical appointments, immediately get medical records from doctors and put them in a binder, and ask doctors to write down what they explain verbally (which is not usually the case with any medical appointments - one of many reasons most of the higher quality doctors avoid work comp cases like you are a leper because its extra documentation, less pay, or they end up stiffed medical bills and dragged into legal battles). Also keep a journal with notes from your medical appointments and submit it to the doctors to add to their files and to the case worker, so months or years later they do not try to misrepresent medical history or facts just to save money at the cost of your pain and suffering. Document your medical case like you would an investigation that needs to be ready for court.

My story written by a friend doing a fundraiser so I do not go homeless (its G rated to whats really happened)
    http://gfwd.at/1pkUSlf

Newsletter from police fitness company:
    http://fitforce.typepad.com/fitforce...r-can-you.html

Cops in TX really good one to read:
    http://www.fwweekly.com/2013/12/18/a-maze-of-pain/

Firefighters in MD:
    http://www.gazette.net/article/20130...mplate=gazette

When you get hired you do not research how injured officers are treated at that agency, and if you did it would raise major red flags. But it is something to look into....

Wow , not sure how it works where he was employed but here if you get medical retirement you retire at 75 % pay as compared to a normal 50% pay retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
      Wow , not sure how it works where he was employed but here if you get medical retirement you retire at 75 % pay as compared to a normal 50% pay retirement.
      If I had a LOD injury that put me out of the game, I would draw 70% of my base pay with no deductions, full medical insurance until I turn 60 then it would go to 50% of my base, adjusted for inflation. The OP is either hooey or is getting hosed.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
        If I had a LOD injury that put me out of the game, I would draw 70% of my base pay with no deductions, full medical insurance until I turn 60 then it would go to 50% of my base, adjusted for inflation. The OP is either hooey or is getting hosed.
        It's not that way a lot of places..............................Iowa IPERS you get 60% and MAYBE have your service related problems taken care of.............

It's one of the bad things about our retirement ...................
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

For California, an industrial disability retirement (aka being medicaled out) is 50%, tax free, for life. There is also a disability rating, but that is just to determine how much you get in compensation for the injury. The rating does not affect the pension. There are a couple myths that have gone around for years. One is that if your disability rating is 50% or more, they have to retire you. Not true. You will be retired if you cannot return to work; the rating has nothing to do with it. The sole determinant is whether you can be cleared for unrestricted duty.

The second myth is that your disability rating means that percentage of your pension is tax free. Totally false. A California industrial disability retirement is 50% of your final year's pay, tax-free, for life with an annual COLA. If you have accrued enough PERS years that you are at over 50% when you are medicaled out, then anything above that 50% is taxed.

Don't be one of the retired officers who gets in trouble with the IRS because you followed locker room advice and traditional beliefs rather than facts. Study up on this stuff if you have a worker's como injury.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

A little OT, but your agency probably doesn't care for you, especially when you become a liability to them. I have my own stories, but I won't bore y'all with boring anecdotes. My point is to get yourself some supplemental insurance like AFLAC or something similar. You will probably need it in our line of work. Remember, "they" really don't care for you so you have to care for yourself.

Comment

Ateamer.

70%. Tax free.

It is lower for non LE members at 50%. Does that now include all LE?

CAMedic
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Ateamer,

My retirement is tax free (I retired under age 50). If I was over 50, I would get the service retirement that I earned relative to my years on, then my disability rating would be tax free.
                I have heard that at age 60, we pay taxes. Have you heard that?

Comment

If you are retired on a disability, it is not ever taxed. If you have some type of retirement other than disability, it is taxed. You can't have both. There is NO SUCH THING AS A PERCENTAGE BEING TAX FREE DUE TO A RATING!

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                    I have heard that at age 60, we pay taxes.
                    Wouldn't that come into play when the retirement side kicks in and the disability part ends? That is how it would work for me.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

PERS disability retirement IS the retirement. Disability pay is tax free. You forgo the retirement you earned in lieu of being disabled. It doesn't come into play since it's gone.

Comment

66 2/3 tax free with full benefits.
                        Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

My agency has no medical retirement. We have a "long term disability" plan but it only covers either 30, 60, or 90 days depending on how much you contribute to the plan. Any injuries go through workers comp but that's limited. If you can't perform your duties after a year you get canned.

There have been numerous injuries that have happened on this job where I work. Four years ago a officer ran over another officer by accident. She broke her leg and nearly amputated her foot at the ankle. The various surgeries where paid for by the department and after a year she could could not get medically cleared and had to be placed on disability. Out agency terminated her. They did offer her a dispatch job but would not let her keep her pay. (Like a 14k pay cut) she went elsewhere.

[email protected] happens....

Comment

It is different for each state. I will get 66 2/3 of my base salary for retirement (they do not factor in take home car I had for SWAT which saved me tons on gas, shift differential, all the SWAT OT, etc)....but in Virginia for so many years I have to be on disability pay monitored by the state, which is the pickle I am in now. Somehow they were able to stop my disability pay before even having evidence or proving me of any wrong doing, and despite me continuing to win in court with them being found in bad faith with no reasonable grounds to prosecute, they keep delaying my backpay and to resume my disability pay. By making my life miserable and me nearly homeless, and piling up legal fees, they probably hope I just quite or die.
                            Last edited by bluecollarjock; 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecollarjock View Post
                              By making my life miserable and me nearly homeless, and piling up legal fees, they probably hope I just quite or die.
                              This is very typical. They try to starve you out and then you will happily take the settlement they offer, even though it is a percentage of what you should be getting.

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6139 users online. 320 members and 5819 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X