300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this video?

Just looking for some pro opinions. Defensible? Out of line? What are your thoughts and would you do anything different in that situation?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204229445114006
    Last edited by Columbus; 07-28-2014, 09:04 PM.

The officer attempts to maintain a position of advantage by having the guy sit down. Drunk guy starts to sit, but then changes his mind. Officer tells him again. Drunk guy should have probably sat down. Drunk guy should be happy that he didn't catch a straight right to the jaw when he popped back up in the officer's face.

Comment

Originally posted by elchorizo View Post
      The officer attempts to maintain a position of advantage by having the guy sit down. Drunk guy starts to sit, but then changes his mind. Officer tells him again. Drunk guy should have probably sat down. Drunk guy should be happy that he didn't catch a straight right to the jaw when he popped back up in the officer's face.
      Gotcha. So would that arrest be for DC?

Comment

I work in Ohio and it is generally not considered a lawful order in my jurisdiction. It is pretty rare to be able to articulate a compelling reason to force someone to sit down during the investigative detention phase.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbus View Post
          Gotcha. So would that arrest be for DC?
          The easiest way to do it here would be to tell the guy that he is intoxicated in public and demand to see his ID. Based on what I saw, he would refuse or tell you some story that he was not intoxicated and that he didn't think he needed to provide you with his ID, at which point you hook him up for Failure to Disclose, which is a jailable offense.

Comment

The scrambled eggs on the cops hat would indicate a high ranking officer.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
              I noticed that; gotta be a fairly high ranking command officer.

Comment

In my opinion the guy was moving his hands way to much, you need to take control before it gets out of hand and the officer did..

Comment

When the guy started to tell the officer what he wanted instead of listening to the Officer..

Comment

I think the officer is covered and tactically handed the situation well. However yes he could of tried other forms of compliance to get the kid to sit down.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                      I saw this a couple weeks ago------------------the Officer is a Captain
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I love how they always turn into lawyers in these situations!

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                          It is pretty rare to be able to articulate a compelling reason to force someone to sit down during the investigative detention phase.
                          I'll give it a shot: Highly intoxicated person standing next to a low railing several stories high.

Tactically, I do not agree with shoving the guy. Not the best way to gain control of someone. But use of force wise.. doesn't seem like a huge deal. I'd prefer handcuffing him when he refuses to sit. Then you can sit him down and it will be much harder for him to get back up.

I think the video speaks for itself on this. Shoving him multiple times did not accomplish the desired result (of having him sit). Handcuffing him accomplished that result almost immediately.

But poor tactics doesn't necessarily mean out of line or indefensible. More than anything, it's a danger to the officer.

Comment

Perfectly fine with the use of force. People especially drunk people dont get the fact that cops CAN use force they deem necessary to control a situation.. Being an amreican citizen does not change this.lol

Comment

I believe that anyone who disagrees with the captain's actions step back and remember what it is like dealing with a highly intoxicated subject who refuses to listen and insists on knowing more than anyone else. It's only a matter of seconds before that person decides that he is 10 ft tall and bullet proof. Physical altercation is always just a heart beat away, you have to take the initiative to ensure safety. When that man said "can I say something?" and inched close enough that he could grab at any item on that belt, it was time to set his butt down.

Its like my momma used to say -- once you break the shell, you can't put the egg back in.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2974 users online. 137 members and 2837 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X