300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this?

Okay, this happened in the county where I live, not where I work. Nevertheless, I will refrain from giving an opinion because I don't think it's appropriate. But I'd like to here from others.

Philly Mom Facing Jail Time for Possessing Licensed Gun | NBC 10 Philadelphia

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Although she did do the right thing in telling the officer she had a firearm. However she should know the legalities of her permit to carry and where she can carry said firearm. Shame on her for not knowing. If its a violation to have armor piercing ammo then she again should be dinged. For what ever reason officer did what he did and I am not going to knock him for that. We all know the saying letter of the law and sprit of the law.

Its like we all know we can not go 110mph down the highway in what ever state we are in, its the same when we go to another state. Should the judge and DA show some mercy sure. Should there be a nation wide carry law where all states recognize a permit to carry sure its called the 2nd Amendment, but that's another topic.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I need an answer on this first....

armor penetrating bullets?
      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Article said she had hollow points in her pistol.
        Personally with no record and being upfront im shocked the Spirit of the Law and officer discretion wasnt used if the story is totally accurate.

Then again i dont like judging what others do when i wasnt there.

Comment

Two similar cases in New Jersey:

In the first one, a man was sentenced to 7 years in prison. That sentence was later commuted by Chris Christie.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/brian-aitke...ry?id=12448867

In the second example, an ex-cop was sentenced to 5 years in prison:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/41/4110.asp
          https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

Again, the headline makes it appear that a citizen is being punished for obeying the law. But once you dig into the story, then you find out it's much more complex than that.

Of course I'm not suggesting that the book be thrown at her; I hope she gets leniency too. But there are numerous laws which state that it is legal to do X in some circumstances, but illegal in others.
            It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
              Article said she had hollow points in her pistol.
              Personally with no record and being upfront im shocked the Spirit of the Law and officer discretion wasnt used if the story is totally accurate.

Then again i dont like judging what others do when i wasnt there.
              I will say this. I don't believe the officer has discretion here because even prosecutors don't. In just about every type of crime, assistant prosecutors have a great amount of discretion. Handguns, however, are an exception. Anything short of a five year , must serve three year, prison sentence plea offer requires approval of higher ups. Moreover, every hand gun case has to be reported to the AG's Office.

I have never heard this argument when as it applies to handguns, but I wonder if anyone has ever argued Full Faith and Credit, which is on the Constitution, when it comes to gun cases.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Sounds like from all the above articles you have no choice in the matter ,I had heard NJ had some weird ideas but damn,Cops moving being arrested for having weapons in cases,people arrested for having guns in trunks not even put together.

Yall need to take over TSA .

Comment

I can't remember a time in my career that I needed an arrest so bad that I would arrest a person from another state, who has a clean record, and who has a permit from that state. Too many other jerks out there to take off the streets.
                  Retired

Comment

The "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution is Article IV, Section One:

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Seeing as a concealed-carry permit is a judicial proceeding in most every state (much like a marriage license), it would stand to reason that every state MUST honor one from another state. If the gays can marry, then why can't we carry? :-)

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

The "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution is Article IV, Section One:

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Seeing as a concealed-carry permit is a judicial proceeding in most every state (much like a marriage license), it would stand to reason that every state MUST honor one from another state. If the gays can marry, then why can't we carry? :-)
                      Only married gays can carry.
                      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Eff that copper for enforcing such an arrgious statute.

How anyone can abide being the police in that state is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                          Eff that copper for enforcing such an arrgious statute.

How anyone can abide being the police in that state is beyond me.
                          What?

Comment

While I believe she probably deserves some leniency, and that there should be more reciprocity between states, she bears the full responsibility for knowing the laws of each state she travels through. I can't imagine getting a concealed carry permit anywhere and not knowing that it is not valid in all states, just as it is still illegal to carry in certain places within your state. That information is readily available and is usually covered in mandated classes or provided in an information packet. Ignorance is no excuse.
                            "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyVet View Post
                              I can't imagine getting a concealed carry permit anywhere and not knowing that it is not valid in all states,
                              Okay, but what about the guy who was sentenced to 7 years in prison for having his two disassembled guns (legally owned) locked in the trunk of his car? The primary take-away message here is that the state of New Jersey is extremely hostile to gun rights (like Mexico).
                              https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5756 users online. 326 members and 5430 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X