Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cop murdered. Reporter (suspended): "underlying cause: black men without fathers"

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop murdered. Reporter (suspended): "underlying cause: black men without fathers"

On Sunday, 7-13-14, police officer Melvin Santiago was murdered as he sat in his police car, responding to an armed robbery at a Walgreens in Jersey City.

http://www.officer.com/news/11572563...ing-to-robbery

http://www.odmp.org/officer/22135-po...elvin-santiago

Other officers returned fire and killed the murderer. The murderer's widow said: "he shouda took MO WIDIM" (he should have murdered more police officers).

A local TV reporter said:

“We were besieged, flooded with calls from police officers furious that we would give media coverage to the life of a cop killer. It’s understandable. We decided to air it because it’s important to shine a light on the anti-cop mentality that has so contaminated America’s inner cities. This same, sick, perverse line of thinking is evident from Jersey City, to Newark and Patterson to Trenton.”

“It has made the police officer’s job impossible and it has got to stop. The underlying cause of all of this, of course: young black men growing up without fathers. Unfortunately, no one in the news media has the courage to touch that subject.”

I tend to agree with this reporter (he is suspended and might lose his job). Is it not true in what he said? Of course we don't know exactly how the motivation worked with this particular cop-killer (and I generally dislike the tendency of many on the left to assign blame for crime to society as a whole), but in general, is it not true that there are consequences for millions of young black men growing up without fathers? But did the reporter go too far when he said:

"The underlying cause of all of this, of course: young black men growing up without fathers."

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Obama talks about it in 2008 and becomes president, this guy reiterates it in 2014 and is thrown under the bus. I guarantee you that if the reporter was black it wouldn't have made but a small blip on people's radar.

Comment

He should have said "young men growing up without fathers", as the problem has almost everything to do with the lack of a father figure in the household and almost nothing to do with skin color.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
        He should have said "young men growing up without fathers", as the problem has almost everything to do with the lack of a father figure in the household and almost nothing to do with skin color.
        Okay. I believe the reporter was trying to make a larger point. I just assumed that, among cop killers, black men are substantially over-represented, compared to their percentage of the population. But I don't know that for a fact, and I would appreciate any links to studies on cop killers, with breakdown by race. I sympathize with the reporter trying to make a larger point, but I think he will be expelled from his job, because it is not politically correct to imply that blacks are over-represented in any kind of crime stats.

When the 4 officers of the Lakewood police were ambushed, the cop killer was black. A few days later, I had a black man in my taxi who was fully supportive of the cop killer. I got a sense of how much anger was in this guy. This may have influenced me (here is my tribute to the fallen 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBcD_a52RQ).

Comment

Nothing is going to change.

Comment

Ignorance is a disease that Obama, Jesse, and Al propagate all the time. They don't want to educate the black community because if they did they would be out of a job.
            Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Max K View Post
              ...I just assumed that, among cop killers, black men are substantially over-represented...
              Black men are substantially over-represented in the fatherless home statistic. In regards to their over-representation among cop killers, do you believe that a lack of a father figure in their homes contributed more towards their decision to head down a wayward path, or their being black?

In a 1994 Wisconsin study, only 13% of the children in state Juvenile facilities had grown up under their married parents.

Unwanted children and lackluster 'fathers' are the culprits here, not people who happen to be black. There are plenty of white kids who grew up in lousy home environments who are equally capable of perpetrating ignorant acts of violence.

Comment

Let's see in 34 years working in the busiest felony criminal court in the country, I believe the number of white robber killers we processed could be counted on both hands. The number of black robber/killers was in the hundreds. The number of fathers of those black defendants that showed up to help their sons could also be counted on both hands. The lack of intact families in the black community is a devastating problem that I still see in my current job.

Comment

Because a lot of these fathers have been told (either directly or indirectly) that they are unnecessary for the upbringing of their children and that the women can do just as good a job (if not better) on their own raising the kids. So, how's that working out for us?

Based on this latest murder of a cop, not very well..........
                  It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Max K View Post
                    it is not politically correct to imply that blacks are over-represented in any kind of crime stats.
                    Unless you're black, in which case you can tout all the numbers you want, all the while screaming about how it's the direct result of racism and racist policies and laws and nothing else.

Comment

Update: the reporter, Sean Bergin, has been squeezed out of his job:

Bergin, 49, said that he has worked for News 12 as a freelance reporter for seven years, for six or seven days a week. He said he made about $1,300 a week working on stories in New Jersey and in New York's Long Island and Westchester County.
                      He said the station told him Tuesday that if wished to remain he would be limited to one story a week on Long Island for $300.

He said he is not coming back, and the TV news station removed his name from their website:

http://longisland.news12.com/news-team

Bergin said that he added his commentary just before going on air because he had heard from police officers outraged that the station was airing the widow's comments.
                      'If I had it to do over again, I would do the exact same thing,' Bergin said. "I broke the rules. I knew I was breaking the rules. But sometimes you have to break the rules to do the right thing.'
                      He said that the issue of young black men without fathers deserves more media coverage.
                      'Replacing husbands and fathers with government checks created this mess and that's why liberal media refuse to look at it,' a defiant Mr Bergin wrote on his Facebook page Tuesday in response to a comment by one of his numerous fans.

There is more discussion of this on his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/sean.bergin.10

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...suspended.html

Comment

I think the reporter is wrong. From what I've seen of this case the problem here is that the family is from the criminal culture--it's not just a bad kid but a bad family. Thus the absence of his father isn't the cause.

Comment

Loren........There is no hope for the "criminal community" when the vast majority of its residents are black and there are very few law-abiding adult black males present to give guidance.

Comment

Those twits created a memorial to the cop killer!
                            Last edited by Rudy8116; 07-17-2014, 01:07 AM.
                            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                              Loren........There is no hope for the "criminal community" when the vast majority of its residents are black and there are very few law-abiding adult black males present to give guidance.
                              We need more members of the press to show courage to talk about un-PC subjects. We need more every-day Americans to talk about hushed subjects. We need more of our society to stop cowering like little 4 year old girls.

It's heartening to see people starting to finally say enough. It's really heartening to see it come from a journalist. I'm so sick of them rolling over like they have for 6 years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4816 users online. 291 members and 4525 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X