Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not getting Colorado police job due to hobbies?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting Colorado police job due to hobbies?

I wanted some advice on this. I have a police co-worker that tested at a Colorado police dept over the last few months. When he was in the background stage his investigator flew from Colorado to Philly and met with his family. He called all his references which gave him a great review. But still they asked him for more references. They were finally satisfied and passed him on to final stage to meet with the chief. At the interview he told him some history of how he was born in Georgia and being in Philly now he misses the hunting and fishing there. He though Colorado would be a good move for him to continue his hobbies. He flew back home and within 2 hours they called him. They said he got rejected because it seems to them he is more interested in moving to Colorado not to be a cop but because of his hobbies. He did get a bad feeling at the oral board due to them saying they don't operate like the guys on the east coast. It sucks because this officer is one of the few at our dept that i would trust with my life. He is a great guy and needs to be at a dept with honor and integrity. Has anyone ever heard of this as a reason to reject someone?
    Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009

Originally posted by Tommydesigns View Post
    I wanted some advice on this. I have a police co-worker that tested at a Colorado police dept over the last few months. When he was in the background stage his investigator flew from Colorado to Philly and met with his family. He called all his references which gave him a great review. But still they asked him for more references. They were finally satisfied and passed him on to final stage to meet with the chief. At the interview he told him some history of how he was born in Georgia and being in Philly now he misses the hunting and fishing there. He though Colorado would be a good move for him to continue his hobbies. He flew back home and within 2 hours they called him. They said he got rejected because it seems to them he is more interested in moving to Colorado not to be a cop but because of his hobbies. He did get a bad feeling at the oral board due to them saying they don't operate like the guys on the east coast. It sucks because this officer is one of the few at our dept that i would trust with my life. He is a great guy and needs to be at a dept with honor and integrity. Has anyone ever heard of this as a reason to reject someone?
    The bottom line is that an oral board-----------or an interview with the CHIEF often is more of a "is this person a good fit for the department" test than anything else. The fact is, whoever makes the final decision bases that decision on a MULTITUDE of factors some of those might be very subjective.

My guess is that during the interview, the board got bad vibrations from him, much like he got bad vibrations from them.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Why did he apply to that Colorado PD? Like Iowa said, they probably got a "this guy is coming out here to hunt and fish, and we happen to be a local job" vibe that they didn't like. We passed on a guy because everything was about him -- not what he could bring to the department and community.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        Why did he apply to that Colorado PD? Like Iowa said, they probably got a "this guy is coming out here to hunt and fish, and we happen to be a local job" vibe that they didn't like. We passed on a guy because everything was about him -- not what he could bring to the department and community.
        He applied there because the pay is a lot better, real estate prices, cleaner living etc. I use to be a firm believer that you don't get into this job to become rich and you don't do it for the money. But after seeing most of our guys struggle including me (i had to pick up a second job) you have to move on where there is more money sometimes. You guys are right, at the end of the day its about the dept and the community.
        Delaware County Community College Municipal Police Academy Class 126: July-Dec 2009

Comment

I once interviewed a guy who "looked" great on paper and when interviewed "aced" the questions.

However both my interview partner and I had our hair on the back of our necks standing straight up throughout the session.
          There was nothing we could put our finger on but BOTH of us were uncomfortable with the applicant. We decided to score the interview very "strictly" When we added up the points he was on the border for us recommending a hire to the boss

We chose NOT to recommend either hiring or rejecting but to give a "no recommendation"..-----This by the way sent a signal to the hiring authority ====who did not hire the individual

As a side note
          6 months later the individual was arrested by federal authorities after a yr long investigation (that did NOT show up in our background investigation)
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What did he end up getting arrested for?
            “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              The bottom line is that an oral board-----------or an interview with the CHIEF often is more of a "is this person a good fit for the department" test than anything else. The fact is, whoever makes the final decision bases that decision on a MULTITUDE of factors some of those might be very subjective.

My guess is that during the interview, the board got bad vibrations from him, much like he got bad vibrations from them.
              This.

Originally posted by Tommydesigns View Post
              .................. They said he got rejected because it seems to them he is more interested in moving to Colorado not to be a cop but because of his hobbies. ..............Has anyone ever heard of this as a reason to reject someone?
              Yes & no. I have never heard of a person being turned down due to outdoor hobbies like you list. Here in Colorado those activities are why many move here and/or live here so that doesn't make much sense to me.

But I have seen many applicants rejected for not being 'approved' of by the cheif/sheriff or the oral board. That's where personality comes into it and if personalities clash on some level....well...

Has your friend ever been on a date that ended poorly? Same sorta thing I'd bet.
              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradient Shift View Post
                What did he end up getting arrested for?
                Impersonating Iowa!
                Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                  Impersonating Iowa!
                  Impossible...NO ONE could impersonate Iowa!

I agree there must have been something that "just didn't fit". No offense to the candidate, but sometimes what you say and what you mean don't always come out the same in an oral interview.

Ski

Comment

Something is not making much sense. I'm running a Colorado police department, financially able to hire or send out my own background investigator to the east coast, and I'm going to DQ a guy because he hunts & fishes?

I think there's more we've not been told...and that "we" includes you, Tommy. I appreciate that you trust him with your life, but over 35 years in this business, I've been let down by "those" guys before.
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

The Chief probably didn't like the guys east coast accent, or possibly couldn't even understand it.

I joke... Maybe.

On the more real side: I think this sums it all up...

...due to them saying they don't operate like the guys on the east coast.
                      Oh really? You don't follow enforce local and state laws while following the U.S. constitution? Fancy that, big arrogant Colorado agency.

Comment

I have found in the majority of people applying to police agencies, the ones doing the hiring are well versed in the complexity of the human condition. They are well trained (because they do it so often) to sniff out lies, deceit and the covering of any motives which are inherently not in the best interests of the department.
                        You have to trust that if this department said he was t a good fit, then as bad as it seems right now, they probably did each other a favor

Comment

Sometime there is just no match. It does not mean that the applicant is not a good cop or that the agency is not a good one; they are just not right for each other. Then too, we may not be getting the whole story.
                          In God We Trust
                          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Tommy, there are just some things that unfortunately friends don't tell you a lot of the time. Obviously I am not saying this is necessarily the case here, but it was enough for seasoned interviewers to raise some red flags. Also as Iowa said, maybe he is indeed qualified, but the particular agency doesn't see him as a good fit for what they are looking for.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate everyone's input on this. Its good to get an outside looking in opinion sometimes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3231 users online. 160 members and 3071 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X