Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone familiar with Chicago PD recruitment.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone familiar with Chicago PD recruitment.

Hello,

This is part venting, and part question, so I apologize for the venting part. i found out that my nephew on my wife's side (not very close to that side) is going to apply for the Chicago PD.
    some background: His family is not very PRO education. His parents refuse to pay for college and when he graduated HS. his father gave him the choice. Military (during active war). or move out. We're not paying for college, but "my son wont be working at a dead end job". Not going to college isn't going to get you anything but a dead-end job, and without any job, you can't move out so limited his options a little bit. Needless to say he went into the military. Don't get me wrong, i have all the respect for military personnel, but that's the wrong way to enter it. He decided not to make it a career so now he's stuck with another life decision. So no college degree, but needs to get a respectable job to make his father proud. COPS is a fun show, I'll just be a COP, it can't be that hard. So after his 3 years military so he doesn't' have to go to college I think he is expecting to show up, sign up and start the academy.
    Now, I wish him success IF he is going for the right reasons, but I don't think he is. I think reality of the job is going to hit him like a brick when he realizes there is actually learning, lots of book work, and even more report writing.

Which leads me to my question: whats involved in the Chicago PD academy. I went to WI. and it was 520 hours Plus a college degree. I'd say about 300 of those hours were spent with your nose in a book. plus associate degree classes. I had to interview for it and had to pay myself before even applying for a job. The way Milwaukee works is that you need to be hired then they send you through their academy, but from interview to academy could take a couple years of waiting. Is Chicago PD the same way?

This is a kid, who has never had a job, no education past HS. Will have 3 years in the military (which is very respectable). but that's how he gets around not having to go to school. never interviewed for a job. I think he wants to go to the academy because "COPS is a cool show".

OK , sorry, my rant is done. The situation is just ****ing me off.

I was going to show him my statute book I keep in my squad bag, but she thinks I'll discourage him. i said if looking at a statute book is going to discourage him that's not a good start.

So you're a LEO and you're asking us questions about the hiring process? You'd almost be better off asking this in Hiring and Recruitment process questions or in AAC. Located in Wisconsin also it seems like most agencies want either Military experience or college degrees, either an associates(60)credits or above. I think you should have an honest sit down with him and explain the job to him and how it isn't like COPS. I don't know about CPD hiring process but being in the Military is always a plus during the recruitment process, that being said before he does the hiring process I think he needs to build up his resume. No job history is a minus, getting a degree would be a plus, some departments either require military experience or college degrees, but it might be different depending on the dpt, that's how it is usually.

Comment

Ask in the Illinois forum section, there are two very active threads regarding the 2010 and 2013 CPD tests.

Short answer: presuming a person passes the written test it can be up to five years after testing before they are hired.
      “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

I'm familiar with the WI process, but not IL. I've been doing a little digging about the process in Chicago, but the majority of stuff has been a couple years old. I was just wondering how the academy is as far as material. When i went through in Wi. it was 520 hours (I've heard its 700 now), but I would say it was about 300 hours of book work and lecture, the rest being more hands on and firearms. He has military going for him, but job history and education is a serious downfall, expectations and attitude are also questionable. I want him to succeed, but for the right reasons and with the proper expectations. Especially in Chicago you need to be at the top of your game. In Milw. you have to get hired (tentative on passing the academy) before the academy, I was wondering in Chicago do you go through the academy and then get hired. I did have a sit-down with him, but if he gets more serious, I'll introduce him to some statute books and if that interests him its a good sign he wants to learn. he was under the impression that you just sign up because his mother or him have not mentioned anything about interviews. maybe i'll go through some mock interviews, because god knows that would have helped me.

Comment

You go through the very long hiring process and are put in the queue to attend their six-month long academy which is over 1,000 hours of training.

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/por...ing%20Division
          “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Your best bet would be to contact CPD regarding the hiring process. I'm guessing CPD has their own Academy just like MPD. Either you are given a conditional offer of employment and are sponsored or you're self sponsored, certified then you go through the process, but it may be different down in the windy city. Best of luck.

Comment

Can't self-sponsor in Illinois, a department has to hire and sponsor you to go through whatever academy they use. Before you enter an academy you will have all the usual pre-employment testing, investigations, evaluations, and interviews; it is very competitive here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3902 users online. 212 members and 3690 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X