X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
    When I flew armed post 9/11, I wore whatever the heck I wanted. If any FAM supervisor had something to say. I'd refer them to my supervisor. But that never came up.
    Same here... I was in a long sleeved t-shirt, cargo shorts, hiking boots, jacket wrapped around my waist, hat pulled down over my eyes, and sunglasses on....as I was in a non-duty status flying back home on a personal matter.....

Apparently that look was a no-go for FAMs back then... LOL...

I only had that one incident and told my boss when I got back. Not sure if he called the local FO or not. Don't really care......

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    When I flew armed post 9/11, I wore whatever the heck I wanted. If any FAM supervisor had something to say. I'd refer them to my supervisor. But that never came up.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
    Even more fun than that was when the supervisors would cruise around DCA and Dulles looking for FAM's who were not dressed in accordance with the "new" dress code mandates and try to discipline them for it
    When I was working for DOJ, I flew out of DCA a bunch of times armed and had an encounter with one of the Supervisors.

I had one of these idiots approach me, ID himself, and wanted me to ID myself so he could "bust" me for not flying in the appropriate FAM attire. (They apparently loved to stalk the ticket counters and look for folks pulling out creds to show the ticket agents and then zero in on them).

I flashed my DOJ Creds and told him to go away before I made an issue out of this as my boss was part of the Mafia and he'd take offense with him jacking with me.

He stood there in the middle of the terminal with his mouth open....in apparent disbelieve that I would act like that way towards him.....

I got to the sign-in area in Terminal A and said something to the DCA LEO standing there and he said those worthless f$cks were out there all the time and they'd hit non-FAMs up all the time and at times would keep pressing things to the point they had to get involved due to the other folks wanting to beat some ***.....

What a bunch of clowns.....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLine
    replied
    I heard that you guys loved wearing suits on those Florida runs when all the other passengers were wearing shorts and flip flops.
    Even more fun than that was when the supervisors would cruise around DCA and Dulles looking for FAM's who were not dressed in accordance with the "new" dress code mandates and try to discipline them for it.

We called 'em the "Jacket Police." I always wondered: how meaningless is your role as a leader if that's what you're spending your time doing?

There are several agencies where people can say "I've worked for X; so I can handle anything..." ( as far as favoritism, nepotism, being generally treated like crap, etc.)

One was the old INS. Being a FAM right after 9/11 wasn't as bad, but it rates "Honorable Mention," IMO.

Leave a comment:

• froggy
    replied
    Pre-order

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
    That's what I never understood. How could you have an "overt presence" when your entire mission is "covert". I was never interested in joining FAMs, but that requirement (which sounded very inflexible) was totally absurd.
    There's a lot of stories in their about that stuff. He doesn't pull any punches.
    I just pre-ordered a copy before the SS-mafia goes and has it removed. Says its being released on the 24th, but up for pre-order now.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by RGDS View Post
    That's what I never understood. How could you have an "overt presence" when your entire mission is "covert". I was never interested in joining FAMs, but that requirement (which sounded very inflexible) was totally absurd.
    Because the USSS Mafia types are retarded. They expected everyone to be just like USSS SA's with suits/ties/haircuts/and military trimmed staches if you chose to wear one....

As stated, nothing like flying from BWI to Orlando on SW on a Friday afternoon....and being in a suit...while everyone else is in shorts/tees and flip flops....

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• froggy
    replied
    I was never a Federal Air Marshal, even though I was required to sit in as one post 9/11 until they could build up their ranks, and I've flown armed countless times in my career as a FLEO. I say all this because I know what goes on in airplanes.

There are not FAMs on every flight and they have internal strife and some morale problems like many other agencies. This will not be a big expose. Save your money. The skies are much safer than pre-9/11, no matter how he chooses to spin it.

I am familiar with the author and had a chance to sample the book. It will undoubtedly be controversial. It gets into a lot of the training and is an autobiographical account of his time in the FAMS and some fraud he witnessed and other affairs and issues most FAMs have seen over the years.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    I heard that you guys loved wearing suits on those Florida runs when all the other passengers were wearing shorts and flip flops.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLine
    replied
    I was never a Federal Air Marshal, even though I was required to sit in as one post 9/11 until they could build up their ranks, and I've flown armed countless times in my career as a FLEO. I say all this because I know what goes on in airplanes.

There are not FAMs on every flight and they have internal strife and some morale problems like many other agencies. This will not be a big expose. Save your money. The skies are much safer than pre-9/11, no matter how he chooses to spin it.
    I was both an augmentee and a full-time FAM after 9/11 (for just shy of a year), and I agree with GoldBadge. In fact, I think things are a lot better now than they were when I was there, with the higher-ups busy trying make every FAM into a Secret Service clone.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Originally posted by Kraut0783 View Post
    He was awarded the Distinguished Honor Graduate Award for his air marshal training class
    An award not that hard to get.

Leave a comment:

• Kraut0783
    replied
    Sad that one of his bio things is "He was awarded the Distinguished Honor Graduate Award for his air marshal training class" Really?

Leave a comment:

• UnivPD
    replied
    Its not on Amazon yet, not even pre order or coming soon

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Kinda reminds me of the last "tell all."

http://forums.officer.com/t193577/

Leave a comment:

• EmmaPeel
    replied

Well now this should be a good debate. Thanks for your insight, G.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2526 users online. 157 members and 2369 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X