X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainKangaroo5691
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucky Seven View Post
    The mayor of San Jose has used the same tactics. What he didn't count on was the tremendous loss of personnel, including management, to other departments and early retirements. That loss has put the department back 20 years in knowledge, training, street education, not to mention morale of those still there trying to do the job.
    A department once thought to be a model agency is now gutted and the mayor can't figure out why crime is rising exponentially in San Jose. He, like so many others, won't face the fact that social programs are costing considerably more in tax dollars then public safety wages and benefits. The easy, politically correct answer to budget issues, is to blame public safety expenses rather then look at the huge social programs costing upwards of 30% or more of most government budgets.

Besides, everyone hates cops, so its not as if they are taking away something from a group that is popular or could potentially create public outcry. It just works well for the politicians to blame fiscal mismanagement on the already maligned LE agencies.
    They're also considering eliminating the motorcycle unit and moving the officers into patrol car units.

Leave a comment:

• Lucky Seven
    replied
    The mayor of San Jose has used the same tactics. What he didn't count on was the tremendous loss of personnel, including management, to other departments and early retirements. That loss has put the department back 20 years in knowledge, training, street education, not to mention morale of those still there trying to do the job.
    A department once thought to be a model agency is now gutted and the mayor can't figure out why crime is rising exponentially in San Jose. He, like so many others, won't face the fact that social programs are costing considerably more in tax dollars then public safety wages and benefits. The easy, politically correct answer to budget issues, is to blame public safety expenses rather then look at the huge social programs costing upwards of 30% or more of most government budgets.

Besides, everyone hates cops, so its not as if they are taking away something from a group that is popular or could potentially create public outcry. It just works well for the politicians to blame fiscal mismanagement on the already maligned LE agencies.

Leave a comment:

• Redseal
    replied
    The Memphis Police Department fights back.

mpd 1.jpgmpd 2.jpgmpd 3.jpgmpd 4.jpg

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    Give them ideas!

How many active MEMPHIS City Council members have been KIA/LODD?!?!? My guess A LOT less than MPD/MFD!

Same thing happened and is still happening in San Jose CA. Except that was intentional (my guess is this is just bad policy trying to fix a bad budget).

Leave a comment:

• Cannady
    replied
    Originally posted by BaylorBearSW View Post
    I enjoyed the "I couldn't find the city council memorial"
    Best not to give them any ideas though I think....

Leave a comment:

• BaylorBearSW
    replied
    I enjoyed the "I couldn't find the city council memorial"

Leave a comment:

• Redseal
    replied
    The Memphis Fire Department fights back.

MFD 1.jpgMFD 2.jpgMFD 3.jpgMFD 4.jpgMFD 5.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Redseal
    replied
    The Memphis city Clowncil passed a budget that will force all retired employees to pay 100% of their health insurance premiums. It is going to destroy anyone who isn't 65 years old and able to get on Medicare. Current employees will face a 27% premium increase.

Basic Plan Family premiums will rise from $320.05 per month to $921.90; an annual cost of $11,062.80.
    Premier Plan premiums rise from $334.32 per month to $1,328.19; an annual cost of $15,938.28.

As you can see, this will either force employees to leave for better benefits, force them to stay until they are 65 years old, or force them to find other employment when they retire in order to pay for their insurance.

Leave a comment:

• Redseal
    started a topic It's getting interesting in Memphis.

It's getting interesting in Memphis.

The short version.

The Memphis city clowncil passes a new budget that has massive cuts to employee health insurance and are now looking at changing to a 401K instead of a defined benefit pension for anyone with less than 10 years on the job.

http://wreg.com/2014/06/20/police-fi...f-budget-cuts/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The cuts are coming, and officers are leaving.

“I’m having to play chess here quite a bit. Moving pieces and personnel around trying to find the right fit.”

Memphis Police Director Tony Armstrong says the city lost one of its best homicide detectives to another city because Memphis is cutting benefits. Armstrong called that one example of what he expects to start seeing.

“Lots of institutional knowledge, a lot of personal knowledge about the day to day operations of homicide.”

You’ll hear the same from the Fire Department. The pay cuts and budget cuts are affecting more than just morale, they’re also impacting actual service on the streets, forcing brownouts and keeping trucks off the street.

Next year the fire department will need to fill 130 spots. No recruit class can compensate that in one year.

The police department hopes to fill at least 90 vacant spots.

Armstrong said, “We won’t actually realize any gains from that, because of what we are projected to lose in the next year.”

Armstrong says the cuts to their benefits do not help morale, but will not keep the officers from doing their job. He hopes council members change their minds.

“One thing we know is prayer works. And there is a process. Anything that has been done can be undone.”

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5334 users online. 292 members and 5042 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X