Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25 year old woman kills 2 to save ducklings.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 year old woman kills 2 to save ducklings.

"Woman, 25, faces life in prison for stopping on highway to rescue ducklings and causing crash that killed a father and his daughter
    Emma Czornobaj, 25, faces life in prison
    Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16, died in 2010 after crashing into Czornobaj's car on a Canadian highway
    The financial analyst parked her car on the road with the driver's door open and no hazard lights on
    She said she wanted to catch the orphaned ducklings and take them home

A woman who parked her car on a highway to rescue ducklings has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his daughter who slammed into her vehicle.
    Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.
    The 25-year-old was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16.
    She wiped away tears when the verdict was delivered to a packed courtroom in Montreal.
    Quebec Superior Court Justice Eliane Perreault said the 12-member jury voted unanimously.
    Czornobaj was released until her pre-sentence hearing on August 8.
    Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's Honda Civic after the woman stopped in the left lane of Highway 30 in Candiac, Quebec on June 27, 2010. Jessie was sitting on the back of her dad's Harley-Davidson.
    Pauline Volikakis was riding her own motorbike behind her husband and daughter, and watched in horror as they were thrown into the air.
    Volikakis briefly fought back tears when she left the courtroom.
    'I don't wish misfortune on anyone,' the widow said. 'It's time that we go on. This will not bring (back) my loved ones.'
    Heartbreaking: Pauline Volikakis' (left) husband Andre Roy, 50, and daughter Jessie, 16, both died in a Montreal highway crash in 2010

Heartbreaking: Pauline Volikakis' (left) husband Andre Roy, 50, and daughter Jessie, 16, both died in a Montreal highway crash in 2010
    Still grieving: Pauline Volikakis, whose husband and daughter were killed in the collision, fought back tears when she left the courtroom

Still grieving: Pauline Volikakis, whose husband and daughter were killed in the collision, fought back tears when she left the courtroom
    She said she hoped publicity of the case will reinforce a basic message to drivers.
    'Future and present drivers should know that we don’t stop on highways, and it’s very dangerous. Even if it’s a small animal that we like or that we want to preserve, we should not stop on the highways,' she said. 'It’s not a place to stop.'
    Czornobaj, a self-professed animal lover, told the court that she did not see the ducklings' mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.
    She had three years driving experience at the time of the accident.
    National Post reported Czornobaj, who doesn't have a criminal record, was willing to plead guilty as recently as April but refused to do jail time.
    Her lawyer Marc Labelle said his client was stunned by the jury's decision. He said he may appeal.
    'So now we are at the sentencing stage in this case. The question we have to ask is that considering the nature of the facts, it is rare that we have criminal negligence where there are no bad elements,' Labelle said.
    'This was not a race. This was not a person who took a chance and drove drunk. This is not about someone who was speeding and took a risky maneuver.'
    During the trial, witness Martine Tessier testified that she noticed parked car didn't have its hazards on and that the driver's door was open.

More...
    Tracey Morgan released from hospital into rehab two weeks after crash
    Father is jailed over death of baby boy he left in car for three hours on scorching day while he smoked dope
    She also said she saw Czornobaj motioning to some ducks on the side of the road.
    'I shouted to my [three] children: ‘What is she doing there? She’s going to get killed',' Tessier said, according to National Post.
    'I saw a body go over the car. It looked like a rag doll. I shouted to my daughter to call 911.'
    Accident scene: Police said Emma Czornobaj stopped her car on Highway 30 in Candiac, Quebec (pictured) to rescue some ducklings on June 27, 2010
    +5
    Accident scene: Police said Emma Czornobaj stopped her car on Highway 30 in Candiac, Quebec (pictured) to rescue some ducklings on June 27, 2010
    Written off: Emma Czornobaj's car after the crash on a Canadian highway in 2010
    +5
    Written off: Emma Czornobaj's car after the crash on a Canadian highway in 2010
    Scene: Emergency workers with the motorcycle Andre Roy and his daughter Jessie were riding when they crashed into a parked car on a Canadian highway in 2010
    +5
    Scene: Emergency workers with the motorcycle Andre Roy and his daughter Jessie were riding when they crashed into a parked car on a Canadian highway in 2010
    Prosecutor Annie-Claude Chasse had a message for motorists.
    'What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it,' she said.
    Czornobaj left the courthouse without commenting.
    According to National Post, she is a financial analyst who graduated from Concordia’s John Molson School of Business where she made the dean’s list."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz35QLLmLpm

article-2663995-1EF79A7900000578-162_306x357.jpg
    Suspect
    article-2663995-1EFB8EE500000578-507_634x591.jpg
    The Father and daughter that passed away due to the incident. RIP to them.
    article-2663995-1EFB8EF500000578-214_634x423.jpg
    Czornobaj vehicle. Looks like it's parked in the fast lane...
    article-2663995-1EFB90DB00000578-813_634x346.jpg
    Victims motorcycle.

Crazy story, dumb woman. An animals life NEVER overrides the safety of your fellow man. Just as an FYI.. DO. NOT. READ. THE. COMMENTS.
    Last edited by PoliceSeeker; 06-22-2014, 10:11 PM.

I read the comments I would say I've lost my faith in humanity, but that already happened a long time ago...

Comment

Perfect example of consequences of making decisions based on emotion versus logic. And why that is sooooo damn dumb.

Comment

I hate to say it but I care for more animals than most people, I am not sure what else to say..

Comment

Originally posted by 300 Win View Post
          I hate to say it but I care for more animals than most people, I am not sure what else to say..
          You are definitely not alone in that sentiment. But that's not the same as what this idiot did. She could've rescued the ducklings within getting people killed.

Comment

She shouldn't have stopped, but the motorcycle driver should also having been paying enough attention not to rear end a stop car. I've had my close calls before and damn near hit a tree on a dark night (that had fallen in the road), but I was paying enough attention to avoid those accidents.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
            (")_(")
            Copy and paste Bunny into your
            signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Not for nothing but where was the due caution of the mc rider?
              Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I have to agree with the last two comments. Whether you're in a car or a bike you need to pay attention, especially on a bike. I've been riding for 42 years and ride with the knowledge that there is no guarantee of a clear road ahead. She pulled over to the left, it should have been simple to avoid. It doesn't excuse her in the least but it could have easily been a deer carcass or any number of things.

Comment

I remember reading about this tragedy 4 years ago. I remember thinking to myself: you have to rehearse these things in advance: what it feels like to run over a family of ducklings: you have to be willing to do it: it's one of the costs of driving on the freeway: it's a brutal place.

Another thing I've tried to rehearse is, if I should ever come across a bad accident in a curve or after a hillcrest, and there are victims on the pavement: don't just rush to help them: instead, let 'em bleed, until you have done what you can to prevent other motorists from crashing into the scene: in this example, doing what comes naturally would be disastrous.

There are youtube accident videos that show rear-end crashes on the freeway: it can easily happen: I don't expect a stopped vehicle on the freeway: I mean, I can pretend here that I expect it, in this forum, but there are too many other things that already occupy my attention on the freeway: if there is a stopped vehicle, I would wish that traffic is light, the roadway is straight, and I can see it from far away. But what if all the conditions are opposite? That's when the accident is likely to happen. So what do you do? I tell myself: the freeway is a place where thousands of drivers have been killed in accidents caused by other drivers who didn't think it was dangerous.
                  Last edited by Max K; 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM.
                  https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

Wanting to rescue the ducklings is fine, even risking your OWN life to do so is fine, endangering others unreasonably to do so is not.

Sad, but you have to think things thru before you act.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by 300 Win View Post
                      I get what you are saying in the sense that there are so many idiots among us when it comes to people whereas animals love unconditionally. That said, an animals life is not worth a human's life. I would give up the life of my own pet if it meant saving a total stranger.

Sadly, many in our society feel the opposite. People become vegans because they don't believe in killing animals but they have no problem with abortion because, well, that's a woman's "choice. Same folks want to hang Michael Vick in public but think that the killing of abortion doctor George Tiller was a tragedy( not condoning it, FWIW).

Anyway, you get my point.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

That is why I said I did not Know what else to say. I will do what I can to help a stranger or most other people and believe me I work around a lot of people that need help but luckily they don't drive.
                        Ex Army pm sent..
                        Last edited by 300 Win; 06-24-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                          I would give up the life of my own pet if it meant saving a total stranger.
                          Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                            She stopped in the lane.

The left lane.

I don't know what country you live in or where you drive, but in Canada the fast lane is the left lane.

She didn't "pull over". She stopped her car full on in the lane. The lane where people behind her were probably going 80mph.

I do agree that the motorcycle rider made mistakes here, but there's some aspects to consider.

The first is that the human brain often rejects things or tries to contextualise them when they seem to be completely wrong. So if you're on a highway and your brain sees a car completely stopped in a highway lane, you may discard it or it may take a few seconds to analyse it, seconds he didn't have.

There's other things as well. We don't know the road. It may have been a dip, there may have been other cars in front of him blocking his view that moved, for example. We're not familiar with the specifics of the incident.

Also, he was riding a Harley, so he probably had less than stellar motorcycle skills anyway. Harleys are giant steel boats and most of the people on them have little skills.
                            I wasn't going to mention the Harley rider/poser syndrome but that was the first thought in my mind and I didn't excuse her actions in the least. She did pull over as far as she could, or his bike knocked it over. It said his wife was on a bike behind them and saw it all so presumably there was some visibility of the road ahead. And if you can't see the road it makes sense to slow down. If a car had time to move over he should have to, maneuverability is one of the few advantages of a bike.

Comment

First off what about the mcrider paying attention and not speeding. So what,she stopped to save ducks. Anyone that convicted her of that should be tossed into traffic.

Her child tossed a toy out the window. Yes she should be arrested, jailed. If i ran over ducks I'd feel like chit. If I ever saw someone do it deliberately, i can promise they would resist arrest and they would wish they never got behind the wheel that day. This woman should at best get an illegal parking fine and maybe probation. I don';t care what anyone else says about it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2978 users online. 148 members and 2830 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X