Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not guilty of Attempted murder of a PO??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not guilty of Attempted murder of a PO??

Okay, okay. Poor search, yeah that's the truth....but WTH? Not guilty?

Published on Jun 5, 2014

Rutland, VT -A Vermont woman who sneaked up behind a police officer while under arrest and allegedly tried to slit his throat with a knife was found not guilty of attempted murder.

Jennifer Berube, 40, was acquitted of attempted second-degree murder and a lesser charge of attempted aggravated assault on Friday by a jury in Rutland, a city in western Vermont about 60 miles south of Burlington.

Berube and her former husband, John MacLean III, were arrested in December 2012 for trying to use a stolen credit card, the Times Argus newspaper reported.

While in police custody, Berube, who was homeless and hooked on heroin at the time, believed she heard MacLean trying to hang himself with his shoelaces in his holding cell, the Times Argus newspaper reported.

In a bid to help, she slipped a Leatherman tool out of a hidden jacket pocket and attacked Officer Damon Nguyen with it.

Surveillance footage from inside the station house showed Berube grabbing Nguyen by the neck with a 2-inch blade in her hand before getting overpowered by several other officers.

Nguyen suffered a cut near his jugular vein and was treated at a hospital.

He has since recovered and was back on the job.

It took the 12-man jury less than two hours to acquit Berube.

During the trial, her defense attorneys argued she was merely trying to scare the officer, not kill him.

"She's an RN. She knows how to use a knife. If she wanted to kill she would have plunged the knife right in," attorney Daniel Sedon told the Times Argus after the verdict.

Prosecutors and other city officials, including the mayor, said they were disappointed in the verdict.

"I'm shocked and dismayed, quite frankly, not just by the verdict but by the disappointment I feel on behalf of members of the police department," Mayor Christopher Louras told the newspaper.

"I'm not convinced justice was served in this case."
    Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
    “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
    “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
    "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
    ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

"While in police custody, Berube, who was homeless and hooked on heroin at the time, believed she heard MacLean trying to hang himself with his shoelaces in his holding cell, the Times Argus newspaper reported.
    In a bid to help, she slipped a Leatherman tool out of a hidden jacket pocket and attacked Officer Damon Nguyen with it."
    I finally managed to silence my BS Detector after that one, and then this appeared: "During the trial, her defense attorneys argued she was merely trying to scare the officer, not kill him."

"It took the 12-man jury less than two hours to acquit Berube."
    Those jurors must have left their brains at home on the day of the deliberations.
    --
    Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Blind justice =blind jury

Comment

I'm scratching my head. I've heard of cases where someone didn't even come that close to killing somebody else and was still convicted of attempted murder.

Maybe the jury started splitting hairs as to what her "intent" was. Well it's obvious to me that she wanted to harm the officer in some way.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm
        It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Ridiculous...

Comment

The next time a cop gets jammed up for shooting someone, he should claim that he was going for warning shots and that he was just trying to scare 'em.

Comment

One of the inherent problems of the jury system is that the jury injects "emotion" into the decision process.

I have always said that if I was accused of something and GUILTY, I would want a jury trial---whereas if I was INNOCENT of the crime I would want a bench trial. I trust the judge to make a decision based solely on the law much more than a jury.

I have told the story of the disc jockey in Des Moines in the early 1970's who attempted to hire a hit man to kill his wife. The hit man turned out to be a state police detective.

The "power attorney" of the time had a Johnny Cochran type reputation and decided to take the case to jury. The trial was moved as far away from Des Moines as possible and a jury was picked

The state had a video tape of the man paying the agent several hundred dollars and specifically stating to make sure she suffered. This was the early 1970's and getting a video was no small feat.

The defense attorney convinced the wife to "stand by" the husband and she testified that she just plain didn't believe the husband wanted her killed. She sat directly behind the defendant during the whole trial.

The jury acquitted.

The next day the wife filed for what ended up being an uncontested divorce.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Attempted murder is one of the hardest crimes to prosecute. In NY the for most crimes the judge charges the jury that the intent of the defendant can be proved by the result of his acts. Slit the victim's throat and he dies, murder is proved. However, in attempted murder, the prosecutor must prove that the defendant only intended one result and no other. This cannot be established by the defendant's acts alone.

Comment

ok virgina, at least that city, one place to cross off the list of moving to. no support for law enforcement
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

We had one of our guys get ambushed and shot at from less then 50 feet away. The cop won the gun fight and took the suspect into custody after a brief foot pursuit. The suspect tossed his gun after being hit and it was located. He was acquitted on all charges....

It sucks big time and it does happen.

Comment

What was the quality of the prosecutor? A lousy presentation of the evidence or poor response to the defense's case can seriously erode what the officers believe is a "slam-dunk" prosecution. (Jury selection is one area where some attorneys do well and others fall short.)

Did the defendant make admissions? Was she even questioned? Ultimately, its important to remember that no case is a sure thing, video or not.
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3466 users online. 193 members and 3273 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X