300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to Promote

I work as a Detention Sergeant in Arizona, I have my prereqs done (generally speaking) and just curious about what Degree's might be the best to look into that will help with climbing the chain and eventually running an agency.
    I Collect Patches ! ! !. Willing to trade PM if interested

My Happy Patch trading buddies: swepd, CUSECOP, adktreepolice,

A Masters in Public Administration

THAT will serve you well if you want to run an agency
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My top two picks for this category are:
      1. Masters in Public Administration
      2. Masters in Business Administration

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
        My top two picks for this category are:
        1. Masters in Public Administration
        2. Masters in Business Administration

^^^^^^ I like
        I would do a Bachelors in Business Admin followed by a Masters in Public Admin.

But a MBA wouldn't hurt either.

But you know what is going to be the best thing to do----------Work MANY years as a grunt. Know the job inside out, promote UP THE LADDER taking enough time at each step to KNOW THAT job inside out.

Getting your education on the streets and in the office is much more important than getting the book learning.

Yes, you are probably going to need the sheepskin to actually get the top jobs, but you really should know the way your subordinates work
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 06-15-2014, 01:04 PM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Does anyone know if Criminal Justice Administration is a useful degree?

Comment

Originally posted by altaccount1992 View Post
            As long as you stay in the Criminal Justice field

Comment

It's OK but the major courses really doesn't teach you anything you don't learn in a police academy, just maybe more in-depth.

If you want to promote up the chain you need to learn about budgets, HR stuff and all sorts of other things not covered in CJ.

A CJ degree wouldn't be bad as long as you stay in LE, but if you get out or get hurt it won't help in another career as much.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

The search feature is a useful tool; there are about 1000 threads on this very topic. You may get a nugget or two from a CJ degree, but it limits your options. Search feature, yeah, that's it.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Masters Public Administration. I'm currently in a completely online program through Arkansas State University that is fully accredited and very affordable.
                  Last edited by barkalot; 06-16-2014, 12:13 AM. Reason: typo
                  Those who are successful at what they do don't give a rip about what others think about them.

We don't rent pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                    Sadly, those aren't the guys that get promoted to the top ranks anymore. You'll have a LT that was on the street for 1.5 years then went inside to be the Accreditation Manager, then Sgt, then on to Proffesional Standards, then LT.

And then we are all ****ed...
                    Oh I know.......................

But I did mention that it was the BEST WAY to promote

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3671 users online. 219 members and 3452 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X