Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Searched Truck Looking for Drugs. They Didn’t Find Any, So They Left a Note

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Searched Truck Looking for Drugs. They Didn’t Find Any, So They Left a Note

-

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...y-left-a-note/

I've always wondered what would happen in a case like this. I often watch "Border Wars" on NatGeo and see CBP agents tear apart cars all the time. Of course, the agents are good at what they do and almost alway recover contraband from the vehicle, but if they don't recover contraband, are they liable for damages?

And what would the standard procedure be for a case like the one mentioned in the article? Would Tampa PD be responsible for any damages?
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

You are responsible for any and all damage caused to personal property.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Methinks there may be some details missing from the story, but Rule #1 is that any search has to be reasonable. Rule #2 is usually that no matter how hard you bust your butt to observe Rule #1, it will probably still provide a fapfest for people like most of those commenting below that article. ("Police state," etc.)
      --
      Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
        Methinks there may be some details missing from the story, but Rule #1 is that any search has to be reasonable. Rule #2 is usually that no matter how hard you bust your butt to observe Rule #1, it will probably still provide a fapfest for people like most of those commenting below that article. ("Police state," etc.)
        Don't read the comments!

But yes, I got the impression the article was leaving a lot out. From the looks of it, it didn't sound like the officers trashed his vehicle, like the headline suggested. This is far from a police state.
        "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Comment

The media is all over it here. I think if they did this based off of a weed smell but didn't find anything, the county should pay for damages. It's no different then getting in a accident with a Leo just normally driving not on a call.
          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob2899 View Post
            Don't read the comments!
            I should know better, but sometimes ya have to read the BS to find out just what the anarchists, BHBs (Black Helicopter Believers) et al are thinking.

This is far from a police state.
            Agreed, and I also have to remind myself now and then that there are just some people in the country who will never be convinced that it's not a "police state."
            Those same people probably don't know (or care) anything about the "fleeting targets exception" and all the other stuff that even judges sometimes have difficulty interpreting.

One of the Immutable Rules of Law Enforcement: "You can't please all the people all the time, and some days, you can't please anybody anytime." nono.gif
            --
            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

I happen to know Matt personally and there's no doubt in my mind he's probably had more weed in that rig to kill Snoop Dog at some time or another

That being said, the officers themselves (not the tax payers) should be liable for any damages that may occur during bull$h!t searches like these....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4713 users online. 284 members and 4429 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X