X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “sovereign citizen” attacks GA courthouse

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/crime-l...ay-have/ngFzk/

Forsyth deputy shot in courthouse assault, may have stopped slaughter

A man identified as a “sovereign citizen” assaulted the Forsyth County courthouse Friday, wounding a deputy before dying in a hail of bullets, officials said.

Dennis Marx was part of an anti-government group that has been tied to violent attacks on law enforcement around the country, said Forsyth County Sheriff Duane Piper. He was due in court Friday to plead out on drug and weapons charges, official said.

Instead, they say Marx, armed with multiple explosives and lots of ammunition - and possibly wearing a bulletproof vest and gas mask - drove his SUV up to the courthouse. He threw out homemade smoke grenades, pepper spray grenades and spike sticks in an effort to keep law enforcement personnel from stopping his approach to the courthouse

A deputy working the doorway of the courthouse confronted Marx, who shot the officer in the leg through the windshield of his vehicle. Witnesses said Marx jumped from the SUV and started shooting his rife. Officers returned fire and Marx was dead.

“It would be a guess to think how many lives he (the deputy) saved had he not engaged him right there,” Piper said. “Mr. Marx’s intention was to get inside that front door and to take hostages.

“He had been planning it for a while,” the sheriff added.

The deputy, a 25-year veteran of the sheriff’s department, was taken to North Fulton Hospital and is expected to recover, officials said.

Police searched Marx’s home for explosives after the incident. Sheriff’s officials said it will be several hours before the scene of the shooting is clear.
    Nice work by the deputy at the door and the other officers who put this rabid maniac in the dirt before he was able to harm anyone else.

I got a CNN Alert at 1:46 but wondered why the incident couldn't be found on any of news cables. Thanks for posting, Carbon.

CNN's first alert read like this, then they corrected the name:

A man staged a "frontal assault" on a north Georgia courthouse today, firing through his windshield and shooting a deputy in the leg before being killed in a minute-and-a-half shootout with authorities, Forsyth County Sheriff Duane Piper said.

The shooter, identified as Richard Marx, was scheduled to attend a hearing at the courthouse today, the sheriff said. Piper said Marx apparently planned to occupy the courthouse in Cumming, Georgia, and was "prepared to stay a while."

Marx had an assault rifle and threw gas grenades, Piper said. He also had "flex ties," water and "several explosive devices," the sheriff said.

The wounded deputy is a main reason Marx didn't get into the building, Piper said. He said the deputy is "fine."

Comment

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/deputy-...rthouse/ngFzW/

FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. — A sheriff says he is confident the home of a north Georgia man who shot a deputy Friday morning is set as an explosive trap.

A deputy was shot outside the courthouse at the Forsyth County Administration Building in Cumming on Friday morning. Cumming is located approximately 40 miles north of Atlanta.

Sheriff Duane Piper said that Dennis Marx drove up armed with an assault rifle, bullet proof vest, smoke grenades and a gas mask. He threw out stop sticks at the entrance so other cars could not drive up, Piper said. A deputy saw the man and came out to confront him and was shot in the leg through the windshield of the car.

Piper said Marx's home is "a bomb." Evidence shows he has not been living there for more than a week and has been staying at a hotel. He said it will take hours to clear the courthouse and the home.

The deputy, a 25-year veteran of the department, is expected to be OK, Piper said. He was taken to a local area hospital about 20 miles north of Atlanta. He is being hailed as a hero, potentially saving dozens of lives.

The SWAT team, which was on its way to a separate incident, arrived at the courthouse within 37 seconds.

Piper said Marx is dead.

The courthouse square was closed off because police were investigating the threat of possible explosives at the courthouse, law enforcement sources told Channel 2 Action News.

The gunman's attorney told Channel 2 she was representing him until Thursday, when she withdrew because he was unsatisfied with her negotiating skills. He was due in court on Friday for marijuana and firearms charges. The attorney said the man was a gun buyer and trader.

The attorney said she asked the man to undergo a psychological evaluation, but he refused.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution report, a law enforcement official familiar with the situation said explosives are suspected because Marx is a “sovereign citizen” well-known to local authorities. They are concerned about explosives because sovereign citizens are known to be involved with explosives.

Comment

Last edited by AI_guy; 06-06-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Video:

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/raw...ble-at/vCc9sd/
          Last edited by Carbonfiberfoot; 06-06-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

From a couple more angles:
            http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4de_1402075050
            http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f55_1402081203
            “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

I read somewhere in a report that he also had flexcuffs, rations of food/water and thousand of rounds of ammo. Kind of sounded like he wanted to bunker down inside the courthouse for a while.

Comment

Crap, I never detected a hint of anti government leanings in his late '80's - early '90's love songs.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                  Crap, I never detected a hint of anti government leanings in his late '80's - early '90's love songs.
                  Well at least he won't be a "Repeat Offender".
                  It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

He stood on the steps to the courthouse "Right Here Waiting" to get lit up by deputies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                      He stood on the steps to the courthouse "Right Here Waiting" to get lit up by deputies.
                      Request granted
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Well screw me. I thought they said his name was Richard, not Dennis. That's what I get for reading this from a phone. Thread hijack cancelled. Let's all go home.

Comment

This is the county adjacent to mine. Forsyth County has solid officers.

I despise sovereign citizens. I wish they'd be declared domestic terrorists.
                          There once was a man who said: "Though,
                          it seems that I know that I know,
                          what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
                          when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2975 users online. 148 members and 2827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X