• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your take on this?

Iowa National Guard Launches Terrorist Training

Troops Will Train For Two Weeks

POSTED: 6:34 p.m. CST January 8, 2002
    UPDATED: 9:36 p.m. CST January 8, 2002

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa -- The Iowa Army National Guard launched a two-week training mission Tuesday preparing members to protect
    our state against terrorist attacks.

Troops will be stationed in areas like Waterworks Park and Maffet Reservoir. Anyone driving or walking in or out of
    those areas will be subject to a military search.

Military helicopter pilots surveyed Des Moines all day Tuesday getting shots of the places troops will patrol.

"They know with events that have occurred they have a role here and they're prepared to do that role," Lt. Col. Tim
    Orr's said.

[B]Starting next week, officers will be making their presence known around town as part of their terrorist training.

They'll be checking for id's and searching through vehicles. The Guard knows some people might consider the searches invasive, but officials said the idea is to be prepared when and if it's ever necessary. [B/]

Aside from training, the exercises are meant to serve as a reminder to Iowans. That attacks could happen here and we all need to be better prepared.

The Iowa Guard is working with the Governor's office and the Homeland Defense Coordinator so that any problems that come up can be
    worked out.

Iowa is the first state conducting this kind of training.

Copyright 2002 by TheIowaChannel.com.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

I am a big proponent of being ready for problems and never have them happen than having a problem with no way to handle it.

GO IOWA!
    Education is nothing without experience to back it up.

Comment

What exactly is a
      military search
      ?

Comment

It sounds kinda scary to me. Aren't there laws against this sort of thing?

Guard duty and security training at selected sites seems OK, but searches of vehicles and ID checks around town? Those Hawkeyes are pushing the envelope on this one.

What exactly is a "military search" anyway? Do you think it requires rubber gloves?

Comment

What exactly is a "military search" anyway? Do you think it requires rubber gloves?

That's what I would like to know. I'm all for the guard helping out, but I am not so keen on the idea of them enforcing the law. Especially when they haven't received any training.

Comment

I say "go IOWA" ! Nobody complains about the national security until they become involved in the process of ensuring it. I for one would not have a problem with this.
            "REMEMBER, COPS ARE YOUR FRIENDS !!"

Comment

IIRC...unless under MARTIAL LAW, the military DOES NOT have the AUTHORITY to randomly 'search vehicles and check ID.'

I can't wait to see what happens when 'Bubba' doesn't want to 'cooperate'.

'He that trades liberty for security, deserves neither.'- Benjamin Franklin

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:
                Iowa National Guard Launches Terrorist Training

Troops Will Train For Two Weeks

[B]Starting next week, officers will be making their presence known around town as part of their terrorist training.

They'll be checking for id's and searching through vehicles. The Guard knows some people might consider the searches invasive, but officials said the idea is to be prepared when and if it's ever necessary. [B/]

I'm all for National Security and the Guard, but, like has been mentioned.
                1-What if someone refuses?
                2-"searching through vehicles"?? Searching for what?? Who are they going to search and what is their "criteria"??
                3-Are they just going to be IDing for the sake of it??
                Walk slow, Talk low, and Don't say Too Much.

Comment

When I was in the Iowa National Guard we trained in a urban setting minus the public in cases of possible threats in a urban area. We had other companies come in to act as our public. As MPS when we did a military search it was a quick inspection of the vehicle its interior and underside for any signs of weapons and explosives. I doubt that these guard members will be patting people down and detaining them longer than is nessassary. I for one will have no problems letting them do their job and getting the experiance that might help protect us all in the future. Granted your gonna have your ones who will object and refuse and if it is done right those refuseals can go a long way into helping a trainee learn to deal with the public in a way that gets their cooperation if they can with the least amount of force. IF you just let the person go when when the real stuff happens how will they deal with a beligerant person who might have the real thing on them.

I say GO IOWA YEAH HAWKEYES!!!!!!
                  Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Perhaps an attack could happen but against WHAT? Might they take our our cereal plant? Maybe if everyone doesn't have their Frosted Flakes in the morning, they loose morale faster...?
                    Please take a moment to visit http://www.crpe.net home of the first police explorer post in the country.

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with this sort of search. As long as they didn't detain me too long or subject me to a strip search on the street, no problem. Can't these things happen to us already? I know if a cop wants to pull me over or id me, search my car, whatever, they're gonna do it, I say let them, I don't have anything to hide, and if I did, it wouldn't be in my car !! Just think of all the criminals they might find as a result of looking for terrorists !!!
                      Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

Well, like someone else stated.....I just want to see what happens when they stop the wrong person OR if someone let's this go to their head and they abuse their power.

Comment

AllI really can say is lets here it for Iowa as a front runner in trying something new. IF it goes over we look great but then again we may get our faces muddied in the process LOL. Worst thing is a big black eye LOL

Klar
                          Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

It could be a good thing if everybody cooperiates or with some abuse of power it could turn into a nightmare. Bend over they taking out the Rubber Gloves.
                            Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Starting next week, officers will be making their presence known around town as part of their terrorist training.

They'll be checking for id's and searching through vehicles. The Guard knows some people might consider the searches invasive, but officials said the idea is to be prepared when and if it's ever necessary.

Whats next, random door to door searches in neighborhoods?

You dont need to be using civilians as guinea pigs to train the troops on the technigues of proper searches, especially when there is a constitutional amendment that says The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. When I was in my FTO phase we didnt randomly stop people and say "We need to search you and see your ID, its only for training purposes so this new young officer will know how to do his job."

I have no problems with training in urban areas, the Marine Corps had an MEU do some urban training in Columbia SC several years ago and all went well, but they werent stomping on the 4th Amendment at the same time.

It's going to be interesting to see the outcome of the first case where soemone violently resists an unlawful search by the Iowa National Guard.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6184 users online. 380 members and 5804 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X