300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Response to a jumper call

This video has been making the rounds. Too bad the outcomes are not listed though. Is it common practice not to use the siren in a jumper call as not to spook the person and maybe spur them to actually jump?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya-fMm4eUik

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
    Is it common practice not to use the siren in a jumper call as not to spook the person and maybe spur them to actually jump?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya-fMm4eUik
    Most seasoned officers will tell you that it is often faster to get somewhere without using the lights and sirens.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Most seasoned officers will tell you that it is often faster to get somewhere without using the lights and sirens.
      But then aren't you or your agency on the hook when you run the red light and T-Bone a car at 70+ MPH?

Comment

But then aren't you or your agency on the hook when you run the red light and T-Bone a car at 70+ MPH?
        You are on the hook for that no matter if you HAD the lights and siren going......LEOs have went to prison for killing people in those circs.....you cannot bust red lights without 'due regard' for other traffic ect
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
          You are on the hook for that no matter if you HAD the lights and siren going......LEOs have went to prison for killing people in those circs.....you cannot bust red lights without 'due regard' for other traffic ect
          I didn't really want to Monday morning quarterback the officer.

Comment

I didn't really want to Monday morning quarterback the officer.
            Well, I will Monday morning quarterback the officer, busting a red light at 90 miles with no lights and sirens is stupid and goes against any and all evoc training cops get.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
              Well, I will Monday morning quarterback the officer, busting a red light at 90 miles with no lights and sirens is stupid and goes against any and all evoc training cops get.
              I wasn't even getting into that part.

But he was doing 74 when he entered the intersection and 70 when the collision occurred.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

This video has been making the rounds. Too bad the outcomes are not listed though.
                I am not leo so this is general speculation not related to how this incident played. Generally when someone posts a video that would cause strong emotions and reactions on both sides of a controversial issue and puts up zero info on the actual outcome it wasn't one that will suit their agenda.
                "Every day should include a perfectly grilled thick steak, freshly roasted coffee and seats on the 50-yardline.

Oh, and bacon. It should start with bacon."
                ------- Me

~~~~

Agent and manager of the world's only authentic lucky football kitty. Don't believe me?
                Just look at the Seattle Seahawks 1976-2010, compared to 2011-present. (and yes, I've been a fan that long)

Comment

Any cop with a brain and a year or two on the job will tell you not to blow a red light. Ever!
                  I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                    Any cop with a brain and a year or two on the job will tell you not to blow a red light. Ever!
                    Agreed.

Honestly on a jumper call, my primary concern is NOT the jumper, but the motorists on the road being jumped onto. If at all possible, my first priority is to shut down the highway. If the person jumps, that's fine. The medical examiners will come pick up the body parts, the fire dept. will come hose down the roadway, and we'll have the road back open in a few hours.

If someone is serious about suicide, they're gonna finish the job before you can get there. If it's a cry for help, you've got time.

Seriously, I've been on a number of suicide attempt calls. If I get there in time, I give myself a little pat on the back. But I certainly don't kick myself if I don't make it in time. It was their choice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6339 users online. 340 members and 5999 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X