Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Law Enforcement's role in "storm chasing"?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swat_op506
    replied
    About a month ago, my department dealt with this:
    http://www.wsmv.com/story/25347335/2...lincoln-county

In the hours beforehand, our sheriff called a meeting with all personnel. Supervisory personnel were assigned 5-6 officers, and were then assigned a section of our 586 square mile county. This "Strike team" approach, while potentially dangerous, worked out well for our rapid response to the disaster.
    My team was not in the immediate area of the area hit, but was west of it (it came from the South West), so we could report what we were seeing beforehand. Our EOC was relaying our info to NWS, and they were relaying NWS info to us in turn.
    Several of the deputies in the area of the actual tornado literally reported "standing on their brakes"- I can't think of much that is scarier- especially at night.
    That said, we had lots of personnel in the area within minutes to perform primary SAR and thus guide EMS and FD better.

Leave a comment:

• Dingbat
    replied
    Never been in a earth quake but several tornados an hurricanes, I'd take those over earth quakes. Since you can get shelter from those but no safe place from earth quake an you get some sort of warning from the storms.

Leave a comment:

• chapwolfe
    replied
    I've been dispatched to look for tornadoes twice as I recall -- maybe three times. It made me feel real good when I was out on the side of the road and the storm chasers bailed and one told me "I wouldn't want to be where you are in 15 minutes." I think I stuck around another 5, but a tornado never materialized, thank the Lord.

Leave a comment:

• Raiden341
    replied
    We all get trained in storm spotting where I am now. If severe weather is expected, we do our job as normal. When it rolls in, we position and we watch for major events (rotation, wall clouds, funnels, etc) and we report in. We have the availability to notify the Sgt's what we are seeing and if it warrants activating the storm sirens.

Like ChopShop said though. Do what you can and hit looters hard who want to take advantage of people.

Leave a comment:

• Shush
    replied
    When I was in Alabama, we chased them. Our mission was not to catch them, but to be right on the heels of it to secure the area as quickly as possible, provide immediate S&R, and prevent the inevitable looting and such. I've lived through more tornadoes than I care to remember, and Miller1x is right. Right before it gets to you, you can feel it. And it does not sound like a freight train. It sounds like a choir from hell.

Leave a comment:

• Sooner2000
    replied
    I'very been through over a dozen tornadoes, and even a few hurricanes (Ike and Rita) but nothing compares to helplessness you feel in a tornado!!

Leave a comment:

• MargeGunderson
    replied
    Originally posted by Miller11x View Post
    Hell no! I've been through several tornados when I lived in the Midwest and one earth quake. I'll take the earth quake anyday. Tornados are like a lottery of death and give off the most eerie feeling you can't really describe until you've experienced a strong one.

EDIT: But then again I feel like this is the same as the Tazer vs OC debate. Both are going to suck pretty bad but some prefer one over the other.
    The comparison is priceless!! LMAO, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• MargeGunderson
    replied
    Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
    Nope, just earthquakes! I'll take a tornado any day!
    Having been in both, it's a heck of a lot easier to GTFO the way of a tornado than an earthquake if you have advanced warning.

Leave a comment:

• Miller11x
    replied
    Originally posted by wyofirebirdbaby View Post
    Hell no! I've been through several tornados when I lived in the Midwest and one earth quake. I'll take the earth quake anyday. Tornados are like a lottery of death and give off the most eerie feeling you can't really describe until you've experienced a strong one.

EDIT: But then again I feel like this is the same as the Tazer vs OC debate. Both are going to suck pretty bad but some prefer one over the other.
    Last edited by Miller11x; 05-30-2014, 01:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wyofirebirdbaby
    replied
    Originally posted by moparfan View Post
    my chasing is watching the news channel.... wait CA doesn't get tornadoes...

Leave a comment:

• moparfan
    replied
    my chasing is watching the news channel.... wait CA doesn't get tornadoes...

Leave a comment:

• EmmaPeel
    replied
    You guys do all the fun stuff

Leave a comment:

• Erik
    replied
    Tape off the impact area of where the storm chasers land?

Leave a comment:

• Lady Blue
    replied
    Our role is to observe, report, and provide assistance as necessary. The adrenalin junkie in me would love to try atorm chasing.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    We have "posts" that certain deputies go to when storms threaten . These are high spots on the western border of the county (or into the next county) where they watch the sky for a while.

They do this just to provide a picket and give warning if they see activity

Our Sheriff is a trained "storm chaser" and often goes chasing on his own time

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3672 users online. 159 members and 3513 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X