300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Rankings

I know that everything depends on the department/agency. I just like to hear the different insights from the various LEO's on the site. In a 500 member department, how many of each rank might there be? Just hypothetically. Are all departments ranked in the order of officer, corporal, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, major, chief? Ive come to learn that a majority of officers remain at the officer ranking which leads me to believe that there are not very many corporal, sergeant, etc., positions available at any given time.

Thanks,

Originally posted by TheTick
    It depends on the PD. There are PDs larger than that that don't even have the rank of Corporal. Or Corporals are assigned as a "house mouse" at the station.
    So a department could be made up entirely of officers? Or they just simply don't have corporals and next in command would be a sergeant?

Comment

Originally posted by lcg0207 View Post
      Are all departments ranked in the order of officer, corporal, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, major, chief?

No

Ive come to learn that a majority of officers remain at the officer ranking which leads me to believe that there are not very many corporal, sergeant, etc., positions available at any given time.

Thanks,
      Once again..........................your logic is lacking

If you go back to my previous answer concerning rank, you will find the percentages are pretty common...................just extrapolate the numbers from a 240 person department to a 500 or even 5000 persons department
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So a department could be made up entirely of officers? Or they just simply don't have corporals and next in command would be a sergeant?
        You are not even using common sense in that question.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So a department could be made up entirely of officers?
          Did you really ask that question?
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.....sorry about that

Comment

So a department could be made up entirely of officers?
              No, some departments are made up of mayors and councilmembers.
              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                I wondered why the app asked for what political offices I had held. That explains that

Comment

At my agency:
                  Deputy sheriff - approx. 100.
                  Sergeant - 20
                  Lieutenant - 8
                  Chief deputy - 3
                  Sheriff - 1
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

At a small PD in our county:
                    Officer - approx. 10
                    Sergeant - 5
                    Lieuetnant - 2
                    Chief - 1

Apparently their chief has a need to micromanage.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Some depts also have a "master police officer" rank. Corporals are uncommon in my area (as are captains), and I've never seen a master police officer. Two local depts don't have sergeants; their first line supervisors are lieutenants.

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        Apparently their chief has a need to micromanage.
                        Small departments do tend to be top-heavy.

If you're going to have sergeants as watch commanders you need at least four or six depending on your schedule... plus one more for sick days, days off and to cover special assignment stuff.

The fact that they only supervise one or two officers per shift doesn't really change the staffing requirement. If they weren't sergeants they'd be "senior officers" or something, but probably paid less to do the same job.

Similar problem in our jail. Minimum staffing is 18, regardless of whether we have 2 inmates or 200. You just need that many people to cover everything.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

We are a large department, about 4,000 deputies. Corporal, in our structure, is not a rank, it denotes a position. Training officers and administrative deputies hold the "rank" of Cpl.

So our chain goes from Deputy to Sergeant as the first promotion to supervisor rank. We have Sgt, LT, Capt, Commander (who wears Major oak leaves), Assistant Sheriff (Bureau chiefs: Patrol, Jails, Courts, and HR), Undersheriff, and finally the Sheriff (elected).

It's rare to see anyone about LT...well at least to me. Every time I've seen someone from "Mount Olympus", it's usually because ***** rolls downhill. But in their defense, with several thousand square miles to cover, it's probably hard for them to pop in just to say "Hello" everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                            Nothing has ever given me a deeper sense of safety and security than watching my City Council and mayor grinningly rubber stamp the new police chief or commander, unless it's watching them vote on the matter after engaging in the most mind-bogglingly stupid series of debate and questions I've seen since the last item on the agenda.

Oh, wait, it's watching them decide what's important and not important (i.e. affordable) in the police budget while voting raises for themselves.
                            "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
                            ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Oh, and lest we forget. There are, or is at least, one self anointed "Conservator of the Peace" among us. Ours lives in a particularly engaging world of fantasy, blarney, and bull****.

He IS fun though, and thus tolerated by Moderators/membership alike.

Now, having dealt with the residents of Fantasy Land, you'll discover that the rank structure varies from agency to agency. I knew of a five officer agency many years with a chief. (more gold braid than a French Admiral), a Captain, A Lieutenant , A Sergeant, and a Patrol Officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4850 users online. 292 members and 4558 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X