Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have to stop for the school bus?

Since I really do not care, I thought I would post this here and see what some other people thought and get some insight on other states laws. With that being said, this past week my parents called with a pressing law enforcement question. In their neighborhood there have been a lot of tickets written for passing a stopped school bus and this has set their neighborhoods Facebook page ablaze. My parents knowing a cop asked me what I thought and here is the situation.

The road running in and out of my parents subdivision runs north and south. There is two lanes in each direction and in the middle of the road is a cement curb about 6 inches tall. Off of this main road, there are entrances to the various neighborhoods with each neighborhood having say 60 houses with the roads circling and intersecting but only one way in and out of the subdivision to the main road I mentioned.

Well at the intersection to the first two subdivisions (one to the east and one to the west) the school bus will travel through the east subdivision to pick up the children but the children at the west subdivision, they have to go to the main road to be picked up.

At that intersection, the road is not divided since traffic can cross the main road and drive from or into the east or west subdivision or get on the main road and either exit the whole area or go deeper into the area.

So the school bus is traveling south on the main road to pick up children from the west subdivision puts on its STOP lights and stops on the far lane next to a sidewalk but somewhat near the intersection to pick up children. Some people traveling north on the divided road having been getting tickets for passing a stopped school bus.

I told them my understanding is that if it is a divided roadway and the cement curb would make it difficult for most cars to cross then the traffic going the other way doesn't need to stop for the bus because the bus is not supposed to have children cross a divided road.

I work in a different state in which they live and my Dad upon hearing my advice was going to go out and learn for himself if that was true what the police were doing or not. After a lot of begging on my part I finally talked him down from finding out first hand but I was somewhat curious myself.

It has been years since I have done any sort of traffic like that. When I did do traffic, I was either looking from drunks or guns/drugs. School buses really were not on my shift. So in that situation do the cars have to stop or can they proceed?

I think it will help if you post the State.

In TX the tickets would be no good.

I have zero tolerance for school violations such as passing a school bus or speeding in a school zone. In fact I write a lot of tickets for stuff like that.
    Last edited by Tmg; 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

In Washington State, you would not be required to stop, going opposite and approaching the school bus, on the 4-lane road you decribed. Not even on a 3-lane road. But I think other states are stricter.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.370
      https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

Jonathan, Check the laws of your particular state. For example, in Alabama, you would not be required to stop if the roadway was separated by a median.

Alabama Law may or may not mirror the law(s) of your state, so it's important for you to know the laws of your state on this subject.

As a sidebar, I believe I'd be correct in saying that many officers who do not normally do much traffic enforcement, will enforce laws pertaining to speed in school zones, and with respect to passing stopped school buses.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
          I think it will help if you post the State.

In TX the tickets would be no good.

I have zero tolerance for school violations such as passing a school bus or speeding in a school zone. In fact I write a lot of tickets for stuff like that.
          Thank you for taking a minute to write your reply. I agree with the zero tolerance for school bus passing and school zone but I was surprised to hear about tickets on a divided roadway.

Comment

Originally posted by Max K View Post
            In Washington State, you would not be required to stop, going opposite and approaching the school bus, on the 4-lane road you decribed. Not even on a 3-lane road. But I think other states are stricter.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.370
            Thank you for taking a moment to reply. I only wish I could have created the disagram as you did and saved myself about 20 paragraphs.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
              Jonathan, Check the laws of your particular state. For example, in Alabama, you would not be required to stop if the roadway was separated by a median.

Alabama Law may or may not mirror the law(s) of your state, so it's important for you to know the laws of your state on this subject.

As a sidebar, I believe I'd be correct in saying that many officers who do not normally do much traffic enforcement, will enforce laws pertaining to speed in school zones, and with respect to passing stopped school buses.
              Thank you for taking a moment to give me a reply. I did Google my parents state laws but I didn't want to write anything which may influence anyone else idea. I understand that state laws may differ greatly and I was kind of looking for a state where in my opinion it would be a citation because it doesn't feel right to me. Again, thank you.

Comment

Dear Jonathan;
                I stopped for every school bus I saw.

Sincerely,
                Michael Jackson
                This Space For Rent

Comment

California

Originally posted by California DMV Website
                  22454. (a) The driver of any vehicle, upon meeting or overtaking, from either direction, any schoolbus equipped with signs as required in this code, that is stopped for the purpose of loading or unloading any schoolchildren and displays a flashing red light signal and stop signal arm, as defined in paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) of Section 25257, if equipped with a stop signal arm, visible from front or rear, shall bring the vehicle to a stop immediately before passing the schoolbus and shall not proceed past the schoolbus until the flashing red light signal and stop signal arm, if equipped with a stop signal arm, cease operation.

(b) (1) The driver of a vehicle upon a divided highway or multiple-lane highway need not stop upon meeting or passing a schoolbus that is upon the other roadway.

(2) For the purposes of this subdivision, a multiple-lane highway is any highway that has two or more lanes of travel in each direction.
                  Link: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22454.htm

Additional:

Originally posted by California DMV Website
                  21756. (a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking any interurban electric or streetcar stopped or about to stop for the purpose of receiving or discharging any passenger shall stop the vehicle to the rear of the nearest running board or door of such car and thereupon remain standing until all passengers have boarded the car or upon alighting have reached a place of safety, except as provided in subdivision (b) hereof.

(b) Where a safety zone has been established or at an intersection where traffic is controlled by an officer or a traffic control signal device, a vehicle need not be brought to a stop before passing any interurban electric or streetcar but may proceed past such car at a speed not greater than 10 miles per hour and with due caution for the safety of pedestrians.

(c) Whenever any trolley coach or bus has stopped at a safety zone to receive or discharge passengers, a vehicle may proceed past such trolley coach or bus at a speed not greater than 10 miles per hour.
                  Link: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21756.htm

Our school buses have flashing lights and a stop arm and our transit buses have reflective yield stickers on the rear corners that are there in addition to their use of turn signals.
                  Last edited by GreenZone09; 05-30-2014, 01:40 AM. Reason: adding
                  sigpic

Originally posted by mitojo
                  I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Comment

Phil, am I interpreting this completely wrong? It reads to me as if those are laws the newer, still excited rookies jump on and jaded veterans have come to be less strict about? I don't mean that in a disrespectful, pick and choose what laws you enforce way! Just how you have to prioritize the best use of your time and resources.

The school bus violation is around $400 here last I read, and any moving violations in school zones (or construction zones) are automatically doubled.
                    "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
                    ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post
                      Phil, am I interpreting this completely wrong? It reads to me as if those are laws the newer, still excited rookies jump on and jaded veterans have come to be less strict about? I don't mean that in a disrespectful, pick and choose what laws you enforce way! Just how you have to prioritize the best use of your time and resources.

The school bus violation is around $400 here last I read, and any moving violations in school zones (or construction zones) are automatically doubled.
                      I wouldn't dare speak for Phil, but I do get what he is saying. A lot of agencies don't have different traffic and patrol divisions anymore. Traffic enforcement is done as a duty in tandem. Some people HATE traffic. They will still stop a 65 in a 30, but a 40 in a 30 --not happening. They will only break out the radar from the trunk if they are either having a particularly slow call night, or are feeling under the weather and don't feel like running all over the county/city all night. Some shifts, you just don't "feel it". But regardless of how you feel, you will still get the guy not stopping for a bus, or following it too close, etc.

In Alabama, unless there is a divider between the lanes of traffic sufficient enough to prevent a vehicle from crossing, then all traffic stops for the bus. It doesn't matter if there are 20 lanes in each direction - no retaining divider means it's an all-stop.

Comment

Well, you don't have to do anything except eat, breathe, and die.

At my last PD, the bus drivers were complaining that people would not stop. So I went to where that particular bus stopped, found a nice little spot in what used to be a driveway to watch for violators, and the idiot bus driver stops right in front of me, blocking the driveway and blocking me in. Sure enough, someone whizzed right by.
                        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Iowa Code 321.372

321.372 DISCHARGING PUPILS -- REGULATIONS.

4. The driver of a vehicle upon a highway providing two or more
                          lanes in each direction need not stop upon meeting a school bus which
                          is traveling in the opposite direction even though the school bus is
                          stopped.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by MargeGunderson View Post

Marge, I spent thirty eight years in the profession. Yeah, I'm a tail light chaser. One week prior to retiring, I wrote a citation for Passing a Stopped School Bus. And, yup, it's a damned expensive citation.

Comment

. And, yup, it's a damned expensive citation.

It gets a bit harsher here in Iowa.....................

Effective Aug. 15, 2012, the rule provides that a person's Iowa driving privilege will be suspended 30 days for a first conviction, 90 days for a second conviction, and 180 days for a third or subsequent conviction.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3277 users online. 179 members and 3098 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X