300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
    Here its basically if you have been thru FTO and have a job that requires a car,IE Patrol,Mental,Transport.
    Its not for personal use.But it also means your on call 24/7 also if needed.
    Speaking of on call 24/7..... the city I have applied for is a salary position. On the recruiting site it says the pay you receive with High School diploma, associates degree, bachelors degree, & masters degree so Im assuming thats what you make. No step ups after academy, FTO, etc. How is overtime calculated?

Comment

Salary position normally means your pay is set.Only your hours change .If its like some you will work loads of overtime. Just wont be paid for it because your a salaried position.Glad i work hourly.

Comment

it also says "built in overtime". Any thoughts on that jdthor?

Comment

Depends on what they wanted it to mean. Some places im told figure it into the salary up front .Meaning you work it and get paid alittle more than other departments but its already there. Some times you dont work any and get the pay,some times you work alot and its the same pay. They claim it evens out. Ive never agreed to work it that way anywhere ive worked. Those ive seen who have always seemed to work a heck of alot more hours and very seldom had the short weeks where they didnt.

Again its all in how they word it and mean it to fit their job.

Comment

This department works 12 hour shifts 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 3off. So it comes to 48 hours every 7 days. Another guy told me it meant automatic overtime & that you would be paid overtime pay for the 8 hours. Does that sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by lcg0207 View Post
              This department works 12 hour shifts 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 3off. So it comes to 48 hours every 7 days. Another guy told me it meant automatic overtime & that you would be paid overtime pay for the 8 hours. Does that sound right?
              No
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I can only speak for Michigan, but the salary you're quoted is broken down into 26 equal pay periods and then can also be broken down into hourly pay for overtime purposes.

Example:

$47,000 starting pay.
                $1,808 every 2 weeks.
                $22.60 hourly or $33.89/hr for overtime over 40 hours.

We have unions and contracts up here, so it may be different than other places in the country.

Edited to add:

I was also paid an education incentive of $500/year for having my bachelor's degree. That was also broken down into an hourly amount. 1 year = 2,080 hours. $500 divided by 2,080 hours = 24 cents/hour. The good thing about that was it was also figured into overtime so I would get an additional 36 cents per hour along with my overtime pay. Every little bit helps! Some departments just start you out higher if you have a degree.
                Last edited by Aerohead; 05-27-2014, 12:13 AM.
                Originally posted by RSGSRT
                We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

It's department specific really. I know of an agency that bumps your salary 2 steps if you have an associates, 2 more if its a bachelors - but thats not every agency.

Also, the take-home use is different. I know of a county where you have no commute to work. You get dressed, get in your car, and you radio in as on-duty. Pretty much as soon as you start the engine, you are on-duty. I know another agency that says you have to report to roll call and are not on-duty until you roll call in. Another agency says hey, use the car all you want within the county. The more the cars are seen, the more it appears we are everywhere at once. There are about as many policies on how to use a take-home as there are agencies in existence.

Comment

Can you say no to the take home and get more money inststead ?

Comment

My agency allows for personal use of take-home cars as well as training and other work-related runs. I have used mine to haul my dogs when my POV was down and out.
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                        Can you say no to the take home and get more money inststead ?
                        Generally, no. Different budgets.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

It varies greatly by agency. When I was a deputy, everyone who lived IN THE COUNTY had a take-home car. Those living outside the county only got a take-home if they were in a special capacity (tactical team, investigator, on-call for being a translator, etc., etc.).

You could use the take-home when off duty, but you had to have your credentials, your issued body armor, two-way radio (turned on, of course) and your duty firearm in the vehicle with you. No taking your wife & kids anywhere -- but you could use the car for anything loosely related to work. Going to the gym, dropping off your mail, picking up your uniforms at the cleaners, banking, getting the car washed, buying "nutritional supplements" at the grocery store, getting a haircut, etc., etc. Our sheriff was very much into "visibility" as being a deterrent to crime.

Again, every agency is different!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

You should direct these questions to your recruiter at the particular department you are interested in. Strangers on the internet who have no knowledge of this particular department don't know the take home car policy, how overtime is calculated / compensated, or how the salary scale works. We can of course tell you the policy at our departments, but that doesn't do you any good.
                            "Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                            Watch your words, for they become actions.
                            Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                            Watch your habits, for they become character.
                            Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish56 View Post
                              You should direct these questions to your recruiter at the particular department you are interested in. Strangers on the internet who have no knowledge of this particular department don't know the take home car policy, how overtime is calculated / compensated, or how the salary scale works. We can of course tell you the policy at our departments, but that doesn't do you any good.
                              I don't have a recruiter in this department. I actually just like hearing from the different members of different agencies around the country. So I guess I should word my questions differently or disclaim them with "I know I should ask my recruiter but...".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2792 users online. 201 members and 2591 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X