300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition/Turnover

The department I have applied for (City of Mobile) has approximately 500 officers. Is this considered to be a large department? Does that make it more or less competitive or indifferent?

Also, they have academies twice a year. Is that a lot? I would assume 30-50 people in an academy. That's 60-100 new officers a year. That seems like a high turnover.

Am I at all accurate with that?

I think this is a fantastic site by the way. I'm not sure where to give credit but I at least wanted it to be on record All of the information I have received from the LEO's on here has been very informative.

Thanks.

In Alabama, an agency with 400-500 officers probably qualifies as a large agency. My Agency (Alabama Dept of Public Safety has approximately 400 arresting officers. The City of Montgomery has approximately 450-500 arresting officers.

With DPS, entry level competition is pretty fierce. Turn over, while certainly a factor, is relatively low. The turn over factor varies with a given agency, and can be effected by many things.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      In Alabama, an agency with 400-500 officers probably qualifies as a large agency. My Agency (Alabama Dept of Public Safety has approximately 400 arresting officers. The City of Montgomery has approximately 450-500 arresting officers.

With DPS, entry level competition is pretty fierce. Turn over, while certainly a factor, is relatively low. The turn over factor varies with a given agency, and can be effected by many things.
      Would you say that 2 academies per year is a lot? Or pretty standard for a department that size?

I would really like to end up as a trooper in the southern part of Alabama or as an officer back here in Daphne/Spanish Fort. I find it strange that a town with less than 20,000 people pays its officers more than a city like Mobile. And from what I hear its a long line of LEO's/firefighters that want to be in Daphne. But living in Daphne and enjoying the area so much I guess I can see why.

My neighbor is a trooper and he says that he doesn't see them hiring anytime in the near future. He is a very new neighbor so I haven't got to talk with him about my potential mid-life career change. Definitely something I want/need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by lcg0207 View Post
        Would you say that 2 academies per year is a lot? Or pretty standard for a department that size?

I would really like to end up as a trooper in the southern part of Alabama or as an officer back here in Daphne/Spanish Fort. I find it strange that a town with less than 20,000 people pays its officers more than a city like Mobile. And from what I hear its a long line of LEO's/firefighters that want to be in Daphne. But living in Daphne and enjoying the area so much I guess I can see why.

My neighbor is a trooper and he says that he doesn't see them hiring anytime in the near future. He is a very new neighbor so I haven't got to talk with him about my potential mid-life career change. Definitely something I want/need to do.

The Trooper Academy is twenty six weeks in length. Thus, the two per year figure. The City of Montgomery Academy is almost as long, although I'm not certain of the length of the Mobile Academy.

Your first step in becoming an Alabama State Trooper is to contact the Alabama State Personnel Dept. (Do a Google search for website address). The Personnel Dept administers the written exam for Trooper. You'll need to be placed on the notification list in order to be informed as to the next testing date, location, etc.

In the meantime, continue to pursue employment opportunities in the Mobile area. Don't limit yourself to just a few agencies. Look over in Baldwin County, and look at Sheriff's Depts, university/campus police agencies as well.

Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4002 users online. 257 members and 3745 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X