300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test/assessment scores

Does your performance on the written test and physical assessment have any impact onyour chances of being hired? Or is it simply meet or fail to meet standards?

Also the city for which I applied (Mobile) has an adjacent city in the county (Prichard) that is the lowest paid in the county. Mobile is the highest paid. When a position is posted like the one I applied for would it be reasonable to think every prichard officer applied thus leaving someone like myself with no LE experience at the bottom of the list?

I have a business degree but not sure if that matters in the hiring process.

Thanks

Originally posted by lcg0207 View Post
    Does your performance on the written test and physical assessment have any impact onyour chances of being hired? Or is it simply meet or fail to meet standards?

I have a business degree but not sure if that matters in the hiring process.

Thanks
    For the MOST part each area of testing is basically Pass/Fail.==Some places use aggregate scores

In other words you normally must pass each successive test to advance......

The agencies I know of do not carry over scores and add them up and the highest total wins.

Also the city for which I applied (Mobile) has an adjacent city in the county (Prichard) that is the lowest paid in the county. Mobile is the highest paid. When a position is posted like the one I applied for would it be reasonable to think every prichard officer applied thus leaving someone like myself with no LE experience at the bottom of the list?
    No

Many officers don't want to work the large metropolitan areas and thus don't apply to them
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You'll have to find out how that particular department does it. Most recently, the PAT I took was pass fail. The written test is what got us ranked on an eligibility list. With 2,000 people testing it is critical to score well.

I've also taken a written where you're scored out of 100 but not really ranked. Just move on through the steps.

So short answer, it might matter and it might not.

Comment

Depends on the agency.

When a position is posted like the one I applied for would it be reasonable to think every prichard officer applied thus leaving someone like myself with no LE experience at the bottom of the list?
        Maybe, maybe not. A lot depends on how the two agencies view each other, how similar policies and training are... if Mobile has to retrain Prichard officers in THEIR way of doing things, Mobile may consider it better just to hire rookies.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-21-2014, 10:09 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          For the MOST part each area of testing is basically Pass/Fail.==Some places use aggregate scores ... The agencies I know of do not carry over scores and add them up and the highest total wins.
          Hopefully I haven't exceeded my stoopid question quota in here yet: But as competitive as the process is, when they have their pick of the cream of the cream of the crop, why not have this as one of the criteria? Of course for the brains part some people can test very well on paper and spectacularly fail at applying the skills while others are the opposite, but physical agility and endurance aren't exactly subjective.

While we have you over here on a cop question, many thanks for all of your advice and insight on this entire site! Most of your detailed firsthand LEO knowledge is up there in the Marge Isn't Qualified section where we can't thank you.
          "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
          ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

I took what was supposed to be a pass or fail test, but during the actual interview my scores from the p.t. were brought up and It was the first time I had ever heard the actual numbers from the test, we were not told during the test just pass or fail. I am sure if you are competing against someone who has the same exact quals you do but they did 10 more sit ups or ran faster time than you did that could help them make their choice. but in the grand scheme of things they will find a way to hire who they want even if you are more qualified. Have seen it more times than I can count, I have had several "super cop" war hero buddies get passed up and the dept hires a zero experience at anything not even qualified to work at burger king over them. So dont get discouraged if you don’t get hired or picked up first time around.
            Last edited by Gunnersmate323; 05-22-2014, 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am in above average physical shape. Played sports my whole life....still do at 33. Ive always trained to compete, that's how I keep my physical conditioning at a pretty high level. Training for the physical assessment was not different. I trained 6 days a week for 12 weeks to try to get my mile and a half to 10:00, get to 100 pushups in 60 seconds. I didn't quite get that on the assessment but dang close. I would hate to know that in a competitive situation that would have no weight. I had been told that you couldn't over achieve on the written test or the physical assessment. I guess some schmuck that hit the minimum standards could have just as good a chance at getting hired as me.

Comment

If the examination you took is part of a Civil Service (Merit System) hiring process, the score you obtain in the written exam is usually critical. Although 70% is usually considered a "passing" score, as a practical matter, you'll need to score to in the mid to high nineties to emerge as a viable candidate.

Often, the score of the written exam is averaged with the score of the Oral Board to arrive at what is often called a "weighted average". Again, it is critical that you score sufficiently high in these exams to be a reachable candidate. What does that mean?

In Alabama, at the state level, the "Rule of Ten" applies. This means that the department head/appointing authority can choose from the top ten applicants on the Register submitted to him by the Personnel Dept.

Should the agency be hiring fifty people, and you were say, twenty fifth on the Register, you'd have a pretty good chance of being hired. OTH, if you were number 150 on that same register, you'd remain on the register until it was exhausted, or a new register was established.

In the latter case, you'd once more be required to re-apply and sit for the written exam.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  If the examination you took is part of a Civil Service (Merit System) hiring process, the score you obtain in the written exam is usually critical. Although 70% is usually considered a "passing" score, as a practical matter, you'll need to score to in the mid to high nineties to emerge as a viable candidate.

Often, the score of the written exam is averaged with the score of the Oral Board to arrive at what is often called a "weighted average". Again, it is critical that you score sufficiently high in these exams to be a reachable candidate. What does that mean?

In Alabama, at the state level, the "Rule of Ten" applies. This means that the department head/appointing authority can choose from the top ten applicants on the Register submitted to him by the Personnel Dept.

Should the agency be hiring fifty people, and you were say, twenty fifth on the Register, you'd have a pretty good chance of being hired. OTH, if you were number 150 on that same register, you'd remain on the register until it was exhausted, or a new register was established.

In the latter case, you'd once more be required to re-apply and sit for the written exam.
                  Thats really good info....really good. At least from my standpoint. If they are taking applications for an academy, would it be safe to say that they are at least looking for 30? Is there a minimum number they have to have for an academy to take place?

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                    Nope, we generally try to hire the guys that barely pass our standards at every interval. Our officers, who are at every phase of the process, love to see the fat slobs that just meet the minimum physical standards and then put a star next to their name and hope that one day we can be in a fight for our life and hear their fat bloated out of shape *** answer up on the radio that they're coming to "save" me.

What do you think?

You are constantly being watched and sized up for performance and effort. We remember everything. We would also remember if you were walking around the PT test like you are Tier 1.

On a somewhat related note (and I'm not saying that this will be the case): Remember that if you get hired, you are a Boot. Even though you are the most wonderful physically gifted and mentally aware 33 year old that ever applied for a police job, you are still just a Boot to the 22 year old kid that lives with his parents that we hired 2 months before you.

If you do not have the ability to recognize this, internalize it, and respect it, then you will be drummed out in FTO.
                    I 100% understand that and will not forget it. Thanks so much for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                      Nope, we generally try to hire the guys that barely pass our standards at every interval. Our officers, who are at every phase of the process, love to see the fat slobs that just meet the minimum physical standards and then put a star next to their name and hope that one day we can be in a fight for our life and hear their fat bloated out of shape *** answer up on the radio that they're coming to "save" me.

What do you think?

You are constantly being watched and sized up for performance and effort. We remember everything. We would also remember if you were walking around the PT test like you are Tier 1.

On a somewhat related note (and I'm not saying that this will be the case): Remember that if you get hired, you are a Boot. Even though you are the most wonderful physically gifted and mentally aware 33 year old that ever applied for a police job, you are still just a Boot to the 22 year old kid that lives with his parents that we hired 2 months before you.

If you do not have the ability to recognize this, internalize it, and respect it, then you will be drummed out in FTO.
                      The main reason I asked that is because the minimum 1.5 mile run is like 15:00 and some change. No offense.... but if thats the best you can do then that is in fact bad news for somebody they are backing up. I am really surprised it isn't in the 12:00 or better range. Guess they wouldn't get any applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post

At what point would you know where you are on the registry?

Comment

Totally unrelated but funny story. I have really good friends in Mobile and have spent a LOT of time down there. One night I was at a little Irish Pub with some friends and we were talking to this guy. Just chit chat while sitting at the bar. Anyway, my friend says "where you from man? "

He says "I'm from up north of mobile"

My friend says " Ahh.. you from Pritchard."

He says " HE** NAW MAN! I gots me a job! I'm from Crichton!"

The OP will get it. lol

Comment

The main reason I asked that is because the minimum 1.5 mile run is like 15:00 and some change. No offense.... but if thats the best you can do then that is in fact bad news for somebody they are backing up. I am really surprised it isn't in the 12:00 or better range. Guess they wouldn't get any applicants.
                            Umm, I'm a big guy and hate running with a passion. 6'6 about 280. I'm in decent shape and can hang with most in the 440. That being said, being able to run 1.5 mi in under 15 is a fair pace. Not everybody runs like a gazelle, but not everyone can kick in a door in one shot. It's a balance. Btw, before you pass judgement, I did it in under 11, but that was many a year ago.
                            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stormz5192 View Post
                              Umm, I'm a big guy and hate running with a passion. 6'6 about 280. I'm in decent shape and can hang with most in the 440. That being said, being able to run 1.5 mi in under 15 is a fair pace. Not everybody runs like a gazelle, but not everyone can kick in a door in one shot. It's a balance. Btw, before you pass judgement, I did it in under 11, but that was many a year ago.
                              Personally, I thought it was pretty arrogant for the OP (who hasn't even been hired yet) to imply that someone who can run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes is somehow going to be a better cop than someone who can only run it in 14 minutes.
                              Last edited by Aerohead; 05-27-2014, 10:28 PM.
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4581 users online. 269 members and 4312 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X