X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MO officer jumps off of bridge to avoid DUI driver

http://www.click2houston.com/news/mi...ridge/26011490

MISSOURI CITY, Texas -
    A Fort Bend ISD elementary school teacher was in jail Friday night, accused of nearly killing a newly-minted Missouri City police officer, on the job for only three months.

Officer Kenneth Lewis is recovering at Memorial Hermann Hospital after a chain-reaction crash that sent him plunging 30 feet off a bridge, Missouri City Police investigators say. Lewis was out of surgery late Friday, and is expected to recover.

The crash happened just after midnight Friday off State Highway 6 near Knights Court. The intersection is not far from the well-heeled neighborhood of Sienna Plantation.

Investigators say the officer was conducting a traffic stop when a vehicle, traveling eastbound on State Highway 6, struck the rear of his patrol car. The patrol car then slammed into the vehicle the officer had initially stopped, police say.

Missouri City police say the impact sent one of the officers over the edge of the bridge, falling approximately 20-30 feet.

They say the injured officer was airlifted to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center where he was in serious but stable condition. Investigators say he was undergoing surgery for his injuries.

A second person was hurt, according to police. They say the man being ticketed suffered minor injuries and was taken by ground to the hospital.

Missouri City police say the Sugar Land Police Department is now investigating the cause of the crash.

According to Sugar Land police, 46-year-old Christie Diane Biggers was intoxicated when she crashed into the back of Lewis' patrol car.

Fort Bend ISD confirmed Biggers is employed with the district. Local 2 has learned Biggers is a PE teacher at Scanlan Oaks Elementary School.

"Was that her, oh my God!" said Jermaine Gray, a Scanlan Oaks Elementary School parent, upon hearing news of the arrest. "Sometimes you never know what people do. You never know what they do in their private lives."

Biggers is charged with intoxication assault and was transported to Fort Bend County Jail.

A-hole plus alcohol equals arrest. Why does stupid always cost the most to everyone except the carrier?

Falling 20 to 30 feet onto water is like landing on concrete from what I understand. The article doesn't report if he broke any bones, or how many, if he injured his spine, at what level.

Feel better soon, Officer Lewis. Rest up, you've earned it, then get back out there doing what you were made to do.
    "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
    ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

I was in the area when this incident occurred. Highway 6 down in Missouri City is like a NASCAR track for all the "hardass drivers".

Glad this officer has a good prognosis.

Comment

He fell 30 feet onto gravel, he didn't land in the water. He suffered a partially torn aorta and a broken pelvis.

We had a similar incident up here in the mountains, a state trooper died after bailing over the guardrail to avoid getting hit by a car. He fell over 80 feet (raised bridge area). Now officers around the state are trained to identify escape routes if a vehicle loses control to know whether or not the guardrail is an option. Sometimes that barrier is there for a reason, it's worth a glance to see if you would like the landing.

Comment

Originally posted by XGEP View Post

We had a similar incident up here in the mountains,
          Similar , but thankfully less serious, incidents happen on a daily basis all over the county. Most states have a "move over" law to address emergency workers being struck on the road side, but unfortunately, compliance is terrible and enforcement actions are spotty.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            Similar , but thankfully less serious, incidents happen on a daily basis all over the county. Most states have a "move over" law to address emergency workers being struck on the road side, but unfortunately, compliance is terrible and enforcement actions are spotty.
            That's true, now isn't enforcement rather easy on such blatant and obvious violations? It's an easy way for stats as well as educating the low information public who only care about getting home to watch their latest episode of some crappy reality show?

I've always moved over for any vehicle on the side of the road (traffic permitting), they don't need to have flashing red/blue lights to receive a common sense courtesy from me.

Comment

This is a Texas officer... not a Missouri officer.
              Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post
                That's true, now isn't enforcement rather easy on such blatant and obvious violations? It's an easy way for stats as well as educating the low information public who only care about getting home to watch their latest episode of some crappy reality show?

I've always moved over for any vehicle on the side of the road (traffic permitting), they don't need to have flashing red/blue lights to receive a common sense courtesy from me.
                Gwinnett county GA (rightly) hammers people on this violation, and those tickets are not cheap.

Comment

He fell 30 feet onto gravel, he didn't land in the water. He suffered a partially torn aorta and a broken pelvis.
                  Thank you for correcting me, and for updating us on his condition. Anyone who knows of this, please add any details as you hear of them.

We had a similar incident up here in the mountains, a state trooper died after bailing over the guardrail to avoid getting hit by a car. He fell over 80 feet (raised bridge area). Now officers around the state are trained to identify escape routes if a vehicle loses control to know whether or not the guardrail is an option. Sometimes that barrier is there for a reason, it's worth a glance to see if you would like the landing.
                  RIP to this trooper! Not that it helps him, but these cowardly scumbags who run should have to pay restitution of any and all medical bills and property damage occurring while chasing their sorry ***es down.

Not that it would assure ever collecting it, but at least let it follow them through life with garnisheeing 25 percent of any wages they happen to collect from lawful employment, and 100 percent of any illegally acquired income that doesn't belong to a victim.

Back to Officer Lewis, that training may have helped him, but at only three months on (solo, any FTO time?) and all that adrenalin revving even before nearly getting killed by the moron, I only hope I'd have that much presence of mind, quick reaction and agility.
                  ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    One more I'll never understand. As RSGSRT notes, I've always moved over into the next lane, or if that isn't an option, slooooooow down and watch vehicles for sudden movements, doors flying open, etc. Never gave it any thought 'until it actually had to become a law.

Cops here often mention how your lights are like a magnet for some morons instead of the opposite; they'll just veer right at the blue-and-red flashing 3,000 pounds of metal on the side of the road.
                    Always makes me wonder if they instinctively yank their hand back from a molten hot stove burner, or try to rub the temperature down.
                    ----- Mussel Bound

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3174 users online. 184 members and 2990 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X