Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI Director considers relaxation of substance abuse policy to attract IT talent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vc859
    replied
    I thought the FBI relaxed their drug standards already a few years ago?

Leave a comment:

• beachcop05
    replied
    Originally posted by btfp View Post
    If your standards are too strict you don t have a great pool of applicants to chose from.

Must have a 3.5 or higher gpa
    must run 1.5 miles in 12 or less
    must have 4year degree
    must not ever have a criminal record other than traffic offenses.

So if someone shoplifted food at age 18, they are now 29 and got their life together, yes second chance.

Someone smoked pot, who cares? Can they do the job as good? yes, even better. Heck ,in 2 states pot is not even a crime. in 10 years only nanny states like NY will still outlaw it.

So you pass on the what might be your best employee ever cause he ran a 12:45 1.5 mile. Maybe if you adjusted the standards to 13;05 they would be in? Oh wait, the girl that would do great cannot get in cause her gpa was3.4 . Gimmie a break.

I am not saying hire drug dealers and out of shape stupid dropouts, but if you only look at the cream of the crop, lots of others never get a shot. Work with them, you will see what they can do and you might be surprised.
    There are a TON of highly qualified applicants for the FBI, with Masters degrees, military experience and police experience, all of whom never smoked weed and made the mature decision to keep their lives clean for the future law enforcement job they wanted.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Ok so how many IT guys are self taught vs how many have degrees. A lot of times the self taught knows as much or more than someone with a formal education.
    What they are not going to get for the most part is a gig with the Feds. ESPECIALLY the 3 letter agencies that pretty much require EVERYONE working for the to have a 4 yr degree.

The fact that someone smoked pot before and denying them a job is ludicrous. Dealt drugs, yes sorry maybe next life .
    They don't seem to have much trouble getting applicants and filling their academy slots.

Leave a comment:

• btfp
    replied
    Ok so how many IT guys are self taught vs how many have degrees. A lot of times the self taught knows as much or more than someone with a formal education.

The fact that someone smoked pot before and denying them a job is ludicrous. Dealt drugs, yes sorry maybe next life .

Would you you hire a 62 year old for school bus driver with a stop sign violation when they were 18 and that's it? Most would say yes. What about the 29 year old that smoked pot 10 years ago but is clean?

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    If your standards are too strict you don t have a great pool of applicants to chose from.

must have 4year degree

So if someone shoplifted food at age 18, they are now 29 and got their life together, yes second chance.

Someone smoked pot, who cares? Can they do the job as good? yes, even better. Heck ,in 2 states pot is not even a crime. in 10 years only nanny states like NY will still outlaw it.

So you pass on the what might be your best employee ever cause he ran a 12:45 1.5 mile. Maybe if you adjusted the standards to 13;05 they would be in? Oh wait, the girl that would do great cannot get in cause her gpa was3.4 . Gimmie a break.

I am not saying hire drug dealers and out of shape stupid dropouts, but if you only look at the cream of the crop, lots of others never get a shot. Work with them, you will see what they can do and you might be surprised.
    There is no lack of qualified applicants to the FBI.

A lot of IT people, but not all, kinda view working for the Feds as below them. This is true especially after the Snowden releases. You should come to Silicon Valley and talk to some of them. They think I am doing it to them.

Leave a comment:

• HI629
    replied
    Being that it is still illegal under FEDERAL LAW, which FBI Agents will be charged with enforcing, relaxing the standard for marijuana use is a very bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• Miller11x
    replied
    I think that right there would turn away 90% of potential IT applicants.

Leave a comment:

• btfp
    replied

must have 4year degree

Leave a comment:

• JustAJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    According to the FBI Director---------------he was joking

"I am determined not to lose my sense of humor, but unfortunately there I was trying to be both serious and funny," Comey said. "I am absolutely dead-set against using marijuana. I don't want young people to use marijuana. It's against the law."

"We have a three-year ban on marijuana. I did not say that I am going to change that ban," he added.
    To quote Tommy Lee Jones from "Men In Black"

We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we're aware of.

Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
    Classic back-pedal.
    Operation back pedal is in effect!

Leave a comment:

• kermit315
    replied
    Classic back-pedal.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    According to the FBI Director---------------he was joking

YEA Right

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-hire/9366331/

FBI Director James Comey clarified Wednesday that he has no intention of changing the bureau's current marijuana policy, which bans employing anyone known to have used pot in the past three years.

During an FBI oversight hearing, Comey said he was trying to use humor on the subject of new hires.

"I am determined not to lose my sense of humor, but unfortunately there I was trying to be both serious and funny," Comey said. "I am absolutely dead-set against using marijuana. I don't want young people to use marijuana. It's against the law."

"We have a three-year ban on marijuana. I did not say that I am going to change that ban," he added.

Earlier, the FBI acknowledged the widening acceptance of marijuana as a challenge to the agency's recruitment efforts — particularly in attracting top computer programmers and hackers for its cybersecurity efforts.

"I have to hire a great workforce to compete with those cybercriminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview," Comey said during a conference Monday in New York City, reported TheWall Street Journal.

The FBI has the authority to hire 2,000 employees this year, many of them assigned to cybertasks, according to the Journal.

Although marijuana is illegal under federal law, 21 states have legalized medical marijuana, including two — Colorado and Washington — that have also legalized recreational marijuana.

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    Couldnt they just detail some NSA employees to the FBI for technical assistance on cases that have a US Attorney assigned to them?

Leave a comment:

• beachcop05
    replied
    This guy is an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• bsd13
    replied
    I don't think law enforcement agencies need to lower their standards. Instead I think they need to make them better known to the general public. To the potential future candidates.

Leave a comment:

• JustAJ
    replied
    “Anybody who thinks FBI agents shy away from going after either people or companies because they are too prominent or two large, doesn’t know the FBI,” he said.
    Really? So list for me how many cases were made after the mortgage/banking crisis of a couple years ago.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2823 users online. 160 members and 2663 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X