Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBI Director considers relaxation of substance abuse policy to attract IT talent

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Director considers relaxation of substance abuse policy to attract IT talent

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2014/05/20/...ing-marijuana/

Comey: FBI ‘Grappling’ With Hiring Policy Concerning Marijuana

Monday was a big day for the nation’s cyber police. The Justice Department charged five Chinese military officials with hacking, and brought charges against the creators of powerful hacking software.

But FBI Director James B. Comey said Monday that if the FBI hopes to continue to keep pace with cyber criminals, the organization may have to loosen up its no-tolerance policy for hiring those who like to smoke marijuana.

Congress has authorized the FBI to add 2,000 personnel to its rolls this year, and many of those new recruits will be assigned to tackle cyber crimes, a growing priority for the agency. And that’s a problem, Mr. Comey told the White Collar Crime Institute, an annual conference held at the New York City Bar Association in Manhattan. A lot of the nation’s top computer programmers and hacking gurus are also fond of marijuana.

“I have to hire a great work force to compete with those cyber criminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview,” Mr. Comey said.

Mr. Comey said that the agency was “grappling with the question right now” of how to amend the agency’s marijuana policies, which excludes from consideration anyone who has smoked marijuana in the previous three years, according to the FBI’s Web site. One conference goer asked Mr. Comey about a friend who had shied away from applying because of the policy. “He should go ahead and apply,” despite the marijuana use, Mr. Comey said.

Earlier, the FBI director said the agency had “changed both our mindset and the way we do business.” He said it worked less “in-box” than it had in the past.

Mr. Comey also boasted of the agency’s efforts in combatting white collar crime. He said that the FBI had 1,300 agents currently working 10,700 white collar crime cases nationwide. The number of corporate fraud cases at the FBI had jumped 65 percent since 2008, he said.

“Anybody who thinks FBI agents shy away from going after either people or companies because they are too prominent or two large, doesn’t know the FBI,” he said.

Mr. Comey poked fun at the agency’s long-standing rivalry with federal prosecutors. FBI officials often quietly complain that while the FBI does all the leg work on investigating crimes, prosecutors hog all the glory once the cases go public.

Mr. Comey even read a haiku that included a friendly jab at Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara”

Thought I was good but

Preet made the cover of Time

What is life?

Mr. Comey also issued a more serious warning about the long term impacts of the Syrian civil war on global terrorism. He warned that when the Syrian conflict starts winding down, it would produce an outflow of hardened militants that poses a far bigger global terror threat than the outflow of militants that followed the Afghan war against the Russians in the 1980s.

“You can draw a line between that terrorist diaspora and 9/11,” Mr. Comey said. “The Syrian outflow, which will be much larger and harder to track, cannot be allowed to follow a similar line to a future tragedy.”

Meh, just sub-contract it.

Comment

Lowering standards always has a positive end.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

“Anybody who thinks FBI agents shy away from going after either people or companies because they are too prominent or two large, doesn’t know the FBI,” he said.
        Really? So list for me how many cases were made after the mortgage/banking crisis of a couple years ago.

Comment

I don't think law enforcement agencies need to lower their standards. Instead I think they need to make them better known to the general public. To the potential future candidates.
          He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
          shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
          - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

This guy is an idiot.

Comment

Couldnt they just detail some NSA employees to the FBI for technical assistance on cases that have a US Attorney assigned to them?
              semper destravit

Comment

According to the FBI Director---------------he was joking

YEA Right

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-hire/9366331/

FBI Director James Comey clarified Wednesday that he has no intention of changing the bureau's current marijuana policy, which bans employing anyone known to have used pot in the past three years.

During an FBI oversight hearing, Comey said he was trying to use humor on the subject of new hires.

"I am determined not to lose my sense of humor, but unfortunately there I was trying to be both serious and funny," Comey said. "I am absolutely dead-set against using marijuana. I don't want young people to use marijuana. It's against the law."

"We have a three-year ban on marijuana. I did not say that I am going to change that ban," he added.

Earlier, the FBI acknowledged the widening acceptance of marijuana as a challenge to the agency's recruitment efforts — particularly in attracting top computer programmers and hackers for its cybersecurity efforts.

"I have to hire a great workforce to compete with those cybercriminals and some of those kids want to smoke weed on the way to the interview," Comey said during a conference Monday in New York City, reported TheWall Street Journal.

The FBI has the authority to hire 2,000 employees this year, many of them assigned to cybertasks, according to the Journal.

Although marijuana is illegal under federal law, 21 states have legalized medical marijuana, including two — Colorado and Washington — that have also legalized recreational marijuana.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Classic back-pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    According to the FBI Director---------------he was joking

"I am determined not to lose my sense of humor, but unfortunately there I was trying to be both serious and funny," Comey said. "I am absolutely dead-set against using marijuana. I don't want young people to use marijuana. It's against the law."

"We have a three-year ban on marijuana. I did not say that I am going to change that ban," he added.
                    To quote Tommy Lee Jones from "Men In Black"

We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we're aware of.

Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
                    Classic back-pedal.
                    Operation back pedal is in effect!

Comment

If your standards are too strict you don t have a great pool of applicants to chose from.

Must have a 3.5 or higher gpa
                      must run 1.5 miles in 12 or less
                      must have 4year degree
                      must not ever have a criminal record other than traffic offenses.

So if someone shoplifted food at age 18, they are now 29 and got their life together, yes second chance.

Someone smoked pot, who cares? Can they do the job as good? yes, even better. Heck ,in 2 states pot is not even a crime. in 10 years only nanny states like NY will still outlaw it.

So you pass on the what might be your best employee ever cause he ran a 12:45 1.5 mile. Maybe if you adjusted the standards to 13;05 they would be in? Oh wait, the girl that would do great cannot get in cause her gpa was3.4 . Gimmie a break.

I am not saying hire drug dealers and out of shape stupid dropouts, but if you only look at the cream of the crop, lots of others never get a shot. Work with them, you will see what they can do and you might be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by btfp View Post
                        I think that right there would turn away 90% of potential IT applicants.

Comment

Being that it is still illegal under FEDERAL LAW, which FBI Agents will be charged with enforcing, relaxing the standard for marijuana use is a very bad idea.
                          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by btfp View Post
                            If your standards are too strict you don t have a great pool of applicants to chose from.

Must have a 3.5 or higher gpa
                            must have 4year degree
                            must not ever have a criminal record other than traffic offenses.

So if someone shoplifted food at age 18, they are now 29 and got their life together, yes second chance.

Someone smoked pot, who cares? Can they do the job as good? yes, even better. Heck ,in 2 states pot is not even a crime. in 10 years only nanny states like NY will still outlaw it.

So you pass on the what might be your best employee ever cause he ran a 12:45 1.5 mile. Maybe if you adjusted the standards to 13;05 they would be in? Oh wait, the girl that would do great cannot get in cause her gpa was3.4 . Gimmie a break.

I am not saying hire drug dealers and out of shape stupid dropouts, but if you only look at the cream of the crop, lots of others never get a shot. Work with them, you will see what they can do and you might be surprised.
                            There is no lack of qualified applicants to the FBI.

A lot of IT people, but not all, kinda view working for the Feds as below them. This is true especially after the Snowden releases. You should come to Silicon Valley and talk to some of them. They think I am doing it to them.
                            semper destravit

Comment

Ok so how many IT guys are self taught vs how many have degrees. A lot of times the self taught knows as much or more than someone with a formal education.

The fact that someone smoked pot before and denying them a job is ludicrous. Dealt drugs, yes sorry maybe next life .

Would you you hire a 62 year old for school bus driver with a stop sign violation when they were 18 and that's it? Most would say yes. What about the 29 year old that smoked pot 10 years ago but is clean?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5281 users online. 315 members and 4966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X