X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You all are going to love these neighbor comments

http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/2014...-driving-test/

Woman, 93, killed by police after failing driving test

Taking car keys away from someone who shouldn’t be driving can be dangerous.

In Texas, a 93-year-old woman who failed a driver’s license exam became so upset when her nephew tried to take away her driving privileges she picked up a revolver.

The nephew said the woman, Pearlie Golden, threatened him so he called police in Hearne, Texas, which is located near the middle of the triangle formed by Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

The arriving officer saw Golden waving a gun around in her yard and asked her to put down her weapon, but eventually he shot at her at least five times. CNN reports she was struck twice. Golden died at a hospital Wednesday night.

Details from the shooting were not released, but neighbors question why police shot the “sweet, sweet woman” known as Miss Sully.

“Even if she did have a gun, she is in her 90s,” Lawanda Cooke told the local TV station. “They could have shot in the air to scare her. Maybe she would have dropped it. I don’t see her shooting anyone.”

The officer, Stephen Stem, has been placed on paid leave.

In 2012, Stem shot and killed a man who was shooting a gun from a car in an apartment parking lot. He was not charged in that shooting.

This story made me think of a few questions:

When should younger folks take the keys away from older folks? My grandfather was a better driver at 85 than many people on I-85 are today.

What’s the best way to get the car keys?

Would this have happened in a state with stricter gun laws?

Why did the cop feel threatened enough to shoot?

Should police treat a situation involving an elderly gunman differently?

What do you think?

When a gun is pointed at me, I really don't care who is pointing it at me. The only thing I care about, is the gun pointed at me.

Elderly people have killed cops before..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GMCfxezdfE
    Last edited by Tmg; 05-08-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

“They could have shot in the air to scare her. Maybe she would have dropped it. I don’t see her shooting anyone.”
      We did soap rounds with simunitions - Action vs. Reaction.

Unfortunately for some, Action wins every single time, NO MATTER if you knew the perp was going to shoot you or not....if they act before you and have a clean shot, they got YOU first.

Comment

I must admit that I felt the same way as most civilians do about police shootings.

But when I joined this forum and started learning more about the LE profession, I have become more annoyed with those who question OIS's right off the bat.
        It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Oregon City Officer Robert Libke was killed six months ago by an 88-year old with a revolver - one shot to the head, from a distance, through a fence. Don't be complacent based on the suspect's age.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-cit...nd_justif.html

Comment

I was involved in a similar situation a few years ago. I told the family to wait till they went to sleep and then take the keys away. It worked for about a week. Another week after that the car mysteriously burned in the driveway.

Comment

There's no hope for those keyboard warriors who sit in their mom's basement and bash LE for everything they do.

Comment

I started a thread on this in the Texas forum yesterday. I am still pretty ****ed about the mayor recommending the officer to be fired.

I happen to be acquainted with the officer in question as we have an employer in common, not his current one. He's is actually screwed on pretty tight, and was about to be made a supervisor here before he went elsewhere.
                "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
                -Sun Tzu

Comment

Apart from the fact the blogger was trolling for responses, sweet old ladies don't threaten people with guns. She might have been sweet in the past but her disposition clearly soured when she couldn't get her way. She woulda been so much fun on the road too.

Comment

You will never make many civies understand; it's not worth the energy. It is easy to MMQB, and they have NO IDEA what our jobs are like.
                    Ignore them and continue to fight the good fight.
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Obviously the officers should've simply shot the gun out of her hand. If they were worried about her charging them, shoot her in the knee to disable her. Didn't these officers receive their Hollywood movie training? Negligence, I say, negligence!

Comment

If the suspect has a gun in their hand and is refusing to drop said gun on command, it become a no brainer real quick. This was a good shoot.

Comment

I'm shocked this isn't all over the drive by media yet.

Hopefully the officer comes out of this ok.

Comment

A bullet coming at me from a 93 year old woman is going to hurt just the same as one coming at me from a 20 year old man. We are allowed to go home at night. If a cop tells you to "drop the gun!" well then, I would say you should drop the gun...

Comment

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-cid...co_kids_story/
                              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5092 users online. 284 members and 4808 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X