Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Direction While Choosing a Major for School

Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm about a week away from finals and I will have my Associate's degree in Criminal Justice. It's now time to select a major for my Bachelor Degree. I know for sure, I will minor in counseling. Right now, I'm at a stand still when it comes to deciding a major. My career goal is to be a detective after graduating the academy and putting some hours (about three years) in at the jail as a correctional deputy. By the way, the academy and job offer has already been offered and is set in stone beginning in August.

What do detectives study? I am also researching this too, but wanted others opinion. Thanks

Wait, you want to be a detective, and are asking what a detective studies?

Wouldn't finding that information on your own be a good indicator for whether or not you are cut out to be a detective???? LOL

Good luck!

Comment

Lol true. Believe it or not, I have researched it. Every thing I read or hear has differing opinions. Just looking for advice from people in the field. That's all

Comment

Congrats on getting into the academy and good luck. I'm not a detective, but honestly my suggestions is to major in something that interests you. An associate's in criminal justice and a minor in counseling is a great start, but college is a big commitment (especially financially) to do what you think somebody else wants you to do, rather than what you want to do. Like I said, my 2 cents here isn't geared towards a detective career because I have no clue what they look for. But take it from a guy who spent years switching majors, ended up with a Business degree, never worked a job related to my major, and is now doing LE: always have a back-up plan and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Decspi View Post
          Lol true. Believe it or not, I have researched it. Every thing I read or hear has differing opinions. Just looking for advice from people in the field. That's all
          Yeah I understand, just couldn't chuckle and r*** ya some over the irony.....

Comment

On a more serious note ...

Take this with a grain of salt because I honestly have NO CLUE.. but it would seem something in the mathematical field would be good. Being a math major myself, I learned more reasoning skills. It seems to unlock a part of your brain that helps you take a result, and figure out the pieces that got you there. It just seems like that would be a healthy skill set for a detective.

Comment

There is a reason you can't find an answer to your question.

Comment

What do detectives study? I am also researching this too, but wanted others opinion. Thanks
                They study being a cop..........................not a Correctional Deputy, but a line officer.

Most places will want a detective to have a minimum of 5 yrs of STREET experience before THINKING about moving them to a detective position.

As far as something to study in school -------------try English, History, Mortuary Science, Chemistry, -----I have known excellent detectives who have degrees in each of those diciplines.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Degree? About all we can do is offer you some suggestions. Almost ANY degree will assist you in becoming a more viable candidate, and for possible promotion down the road.

Certainly, and I've said this before, you'd want to avoid obvious "junk" studies such as Aids Awareness, and similar detritus . Past that, go for anything which interests you.

People with a wide range of degrees have done very well in this profession. Although we often caution concerning CJ degrees, if this is your desire, then go for it. look into a business degree, education, accounting, the list goes on. The sky's the limit in other words.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm about a week away from finals and I will have my Associate's degree in Criminal Justice. It's now time to select a major for my Bachelor Degree. I know for sure, I will minor in counseling. Right now, I'm at a stand still when it comes to deciding a major. My career goal is to be a detective after graduating the academy and putting some hours (about three years) in at the jail as a correctional deputy. By the way, the academy and job offer has already been offered and is set in stone beginning in August.

Here's the deal.....there are about a 100 different majors you could go with and the fact that you aren't even narrowing down what type of detective you want to be (e.g. homicide, narcotics, auto-theft, etc etc) means you have no idea what kind of detective you want to be; which makes this question almost impossible to answer. However, if you said you wanted to do homicide then I would say criminology, psychology, or forensics. If you said narcotics.....then I'd say chemistry, terrorism/counterterrorism, or probation/social work. If you said Auto-Theft then I'd say business, accounting, or forensic accounting.

Either way, I'm sure I'll take some heat for this but, under no circumstances should you get your BA in "criminal justice." All of that will be taught in your academy in condensed version and will thus make your well-rounded education worthless to you in the field. The best officers I ever worked with had knowledge in all sorts of things. It makes you a better person and officer if you try to understand all aspects of people's lives rather than just the criminal part. The idea is to create a situation where you are an invaluable asset to your organization. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      Certainly, and I've said this before, you'd want to avoid obvious "junk" studies such as Aids Awareness, and similar detritus . Past that, go for anything which interests you.
                      Phil I take offense to that! I would not be where I am today without my masters in underwater basket weaving.

Now excuse me, it's time for me to go scrub the chief's toilet.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input....enjoyed your sense of humor shush. Sorry I did not specify what unit I would like to work in. I would prefer either homicide or SVU. After reading these posts and much research, I'm leaning towards forensics. I would take criminology, but I believe my university doesn't offer that...but not 100% sure yet.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I had an oral board review last month with my local Sherrif's office. My objective of being a detective was all over my resume. The three of them on the panel were impressed by that. The hiring manger suggested to go through the academy and do about 6,000 hours of corrections. Or split that in half and do some street work. He said after they know me and my ability they would talk about a career being a detective

Comment

ITS CALLED THE SEARCH FUNCTION. START THERE. topic has been discussed THOUSANDS of times....
                            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Just my 2¢, but get a degree in something other than CJ. First & foremost for the aforementioned reason of not putting all your expensive eggs in one basket, but also to stand out among other candidates. I'm betting that getting a degree in something else (like chemistry, computer science, accounting, ect.) would help you show that you can not only complete a mission (to get a degree), but also show that you have a specific area of knowledge that others might not have. Solving a crime may involve knowing the chemical reactions present at the time of a homicide, deciphering computer usage by suspects & witnesses, or how they hid their ill-gotten profits. Showing an agency that you can not only investigate but do so in a specific discipline that requires technical knowledge can set you apart from the other candidates.

Follow your heart, but don't pigeon yourself into having a type of degree that many others will have that may not be worth much should that career not work out (not cut out, injury, a multitude of other reasons).
                              This Space For Rent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5885 users online. 346 members and 5539 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X