300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Border Services Agency

Yesterday (April 30th) my cousin and I traveled from Michigan to Canada to see a movie that is not being shown in the US (Trailer Park Boys: Don't Legalize It).

Now, I don't know if anyone out there has heard of the Trailer Park Boys since I don't know many people outside of my family that have, but it started out as a Canadian TV series that had, I believe, 7 seasons. It is rather stupid, but in my opinion is very funny. They also have two other movies out there. It is centered around a Canadian trailer park and follows around three individuals as they do a variety of illegal things (grow dope, steal, etc.) as well as fight with the trailer park supervisor who is an ex-cop that got dismissed because of a prank by one of the main characters.

Anyway, on our way across the border, the Canadian Border Services guy was asking us the normal questions, "What brings you two to Canada tonight" etc. When we told him we were going over to see a movie, he asked why we would travel to another country just to watch a movie. When we told him we were going to see Trailer Park Boys, he seemed genuinely surprised, and asked us how we know about them. We told him we had watched all their stuff on Netflix and my brother also had all the season on DVD. He had been very stern and authoritative during the entirety of our short encounter. After I told him that, he asked us "Now how am I supposed to believe you two aren't stoned out of your mind right now?" and then laughed and said "I'm just kidding, you two have a good time." and gave us our stuff back and sent us on our way.

I found his sense of humor very funny, especially having had run ins with some US Customs and Border agents who are always very strict and stern (nothing wrong with that, just stating a fact). All in all, no real rhyme or reason to the post, just found it enjoyable that the guy could complete his job and have a good sense of humor with the people he comes in contact with.
    On this job, the only thing that's black and white is the car. -Peter Malloy

Always do what's right, and if you do what's right, you won't have a problem. -My Father

R.I.P. Dad, 3/11/56 - 5/15/14

Yea I was stopped for a good amount of time because of a large stereo system in the back. We were waiting on a K9 that never showed up. After flashing his light inside of a subwoofer enclosure for awhile, he let us pass..

Comment

I work with these guys extensively. They are not really considered part of LE in Canada in the same way CBP is in the states, and I feel there is some animosity towards LEO's from both Canada and other countries during encounters. Obviously, this isn't the rule, but it's happened to me and other cops (from both sides of the border) on multiple occasions.
      sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
      DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

The last time I crossed the Canadian border I had 5 months worth of living packed in the back of my car. When he asked how long I was staying, I answered just a couple of days. When he questioned why I had so much packed for a two day trip, I mentioned I was in the military and he waved me through without any issue.
        "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Everytime I've crossed at the Ambassador, both sides have been a-holes. However, everytime I've crossed at the BlueWater, Canadians have been extremely nice but the CBP have been a-holes.

But.. On the other side of the coin, I have heard of horror stories on both sides. I have never once been pulled aside and searched.. Must be lucky

Always do what's right, and if you do what's right, you won't have a problem. -My Father

Comment

I used to cross through North Dakota in to Saskatchewan and learned quickly to not say anything about being LE. The only time I let it slip, Canadian Border guys held me up and asked me 50 different ways if I was carrying my pistol. After that year I kept my mouth shut and found the border guys really nice. The US Fish & Wildlife Service on the other hand.... Lets just say I cant wait until I'm able give them a little "professional courtesy".

Comment

While on a family vacation and crossing into Canada by way of Maine, the LE question came up probably from my thin blue line sticker. I was pulled aside and had to go into the station to have one of their officers go through my car. After having rifled through all of the suitcases including my little ones who were infants she began pulling my spare tire out when I dropped a, 'are you f*@king kidding me.'

This was greeted with a, 'If you are who you say you are then you know why I am doing this." My reply was instant and genuine. "Yeah I do know, you're f*@king with us probably because some cop in Maine didn't think you were the real police."

I've never had any problems with CBP.

Comment

I'm crossing tomorrow...I'll be sure to report my findings to O.com lol.
                sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

I have found the Blue Water Bridge people are nicer and more laid back than the Tunnel or Ambassador Bridge.

Some coworkers and I went over to Windsor a few years back to hit up the clubs. I was the DD for the night, so we took my car. One of the people I was with got a little over served and ended up getting sick in my car - luckily, into one of those reusable Case Logic nylon trash bags that I had hung on the back of my seat.

Well, when we FINALLY made it over the Ambassador Bridge (took literally over an hour), they looked in my trunk and found the used targets from when I went to the range a few days prior, and I was flagged for a search. I watched them search the car and, of course, the vomit filled nylon bag. The look on their face was priceless. I thought the CBP officer was going to vomit. They just sent us on our way after that.
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Oh man, the BlueWater Bridge is soooooo much quicker to cross than the Ambassador or the tunnel. Literally 5 minutes both directions to get through both toll and each countries customs. Can't beat it.. It's just as fast, if not a little faster, for me to drive to BlueWater and then down to Windsor through Canada depending on the time of day.

Comment

Plus, it's a nice drive. I-94 straight up.
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Or a boring drive.. I-69 straight over lol nothin but fields and forests

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                          My wife: "[Insert my first and middle name] STOP!"

Me: He started it.
                          That is when you knew you stepped over the line
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Tick:

I laughed at your 'that would be illegal' comment. Oh how we love those non-responses. My wife asked what I was typing because I seemed to be getting angry. I told her I was saying something about our encounter with CBSA and she reminded me that I also dropped a couple of She-Ra comments after the spare tire search.

I've never worked a border and I have no idea if cops fall into the category of smugglers or not but I have to think that if I know someone is law enforcement and they are from somewhere way-way away from that location that they are probably not the smugglers you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanE View Post
                              Tick:

I laughed at your 'that would be illegal' comment. Oh how we love those non-responses. My wife asked what I was typing because I seemed to be getting angry. I told her I was saying something about our encounter with CBSA and she reminded me that I also dropped a couple of She-Ra comments after the spare tire search.

I've never worked a border and I have no idea if cops fall into the category of smugglers or not but I have to think that if I know someone is law enforcement and they are from somewhere way-way away from that location that they are probably not the smugglers you are looking for.
                              While the distance one worked in relation to the border would be a mitigating factor, law enforcement being complaisant in smuggling is not at all unheard of.

It does happen.

FB

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/us...lers.html?_r=0

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04...rug-smuggling/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6192 users online. 346 members and 5846 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X