X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The guise of airport 'security' is a huge waste of resources

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27100395

US teenager survives five-hour flight in wheel well

A 16-year-old boy has survived an extraordinary journey hidden in the wheel well of a five-hour flight from California to Hawaii.

A spokesman for Hawaiian Airlines said airline staff noticed the boy after the plane landed on Sunday morning.

He was questioned by the FBI and given a medical screening and was said to be in a stable condition.

The boy is reported to have run away from home and jumped over a fence at San Jose airport to get to the plane.

Authorities are reviewing whether to file criminal charges against the boy.

"Our primary concern now is for the well-being of the boy, who is exceptionally lucky to have survived,'' a spokeswoman for Hawaiian Airlines said.

"Kid's lucky to be alive,'' FBI spokesman Tom Simon told the AP news agency.

Mr Simon said that when the flight landed in Maui, the teenager hopped down from the wheel well and started wandering around the airport grounds.

His only possession when he landed was a comb for his hair.

He survived a lack of oxygen and freezing temperatures as the plane climbed to 12,000m (39,000ft).

Mr Simon said the boy had been unconscious for most of the journey.

Since records began in 1947, about 100 wheel well stowaways are thought to have attempted to board flights, of whom around three-quarters died.

So because of one incident at one airport, you think we should scrap the entire system?
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

^^^^ From your own signature:

Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan
      The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
        So because of one incident at one airport, you think we should scrap the entire system?
        The TSA should not exist. It should not only be scrapped, it should never have been.

One incident created TSA, why should one incident not end it?

If an airline wants to created condions for me to fly on their aircraft, that's one thing. Nthe federal govt conducting a seizure because I want to fly on a private plane is unacceptable.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
          This was a disgruntled 16 year old. Imagine what an organized group of angry, well-funded men could do. The idea that the government will ever be able to maintain a protective barrier around all of us in all public locations at all times is preposterous.

Comment

Originally posted by eyesopen View Post
            ^^^^ From your own signature:

Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan
            So you're advocating going back to private security, like the way it was during the Reagan presidency?

I used to know a guy who worked at the airport through a contracted firm for an airline. He was mentally handicapped. Needless to say, he had no business doing what he was doing.

As bad as the TSA is right now, it's nowhere near as bad as security was twenty years ago. Those who mix the terms "lowest bidder" and "aerospace security" are playing with fire...
            This Space For Rent

Comment

I thought TSA is responsible for screening passengers and airport security/police is responsible for securing the grounds. I didn't read where the boy sneaked past any airport screeners.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Given the San Jose Airport tried to get rid of SJPD because they were never there, this seems kinda fitting. Chuck Reed looks like an incredible genius for destroying his city's police department.
                semper destravit

Comment

So are you suggesting we get rid of airport security? What do you suggest we do instead?

Maybe we can just post "terrorist free zone" signs. That should be good enough.

Comment

Are you guys on a 2nd grade comprehension level?

TSA is not primarily responsible for what goes on in the Tarmac. That is the job is airport police/security contractors.

What a lame attack.

I appreciate the TSA more than the moron private security people who cannot speak English.

It's still work in progress and it's a big improvement in the last 5 years. I don't want another 9/11 or Tarbash blowing a plane up and reliving another 9/11.

If you don't like it, don't fly!

I fly often enough every year that I appreciate them.
                    Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

NYCTNT has it right. TSA isn't responsible for what happens on the tarmac.
                      For what they pay the TSA screeners, and their level of training, I think they are doing a good job. Is there room for improvement?...of course there is. Who would say otherwise? I would rather be "inconvenienced" and safe, then find myself in a terrorist situation...it's far better to be "felt-up" than blown up!
                      As far as airport security goes, it is a monumental job considering the areas, aircraft and vehicles to be secured, and the number of flights departing and arriving each day. MYO
                      Ski

Comment

Nutbar whining about the TSA aside, I wonder if some people just have a genetic disposition to surviving low-oxygen environments. Most people die, this kid just wakes up and hops off the plane.

Comment

"Airport 'security' is a huge waste of resources"? Well I think that security is inefficient by nature: to prevent one bad guy from doing one bad thing in one second, you need a hundred times as many good guys working around the clock etc.

That said, since I am one of those half-wit Islamophobes who judges an entire religion based on the actions of a few, allow me to present the Islamophobic voice on this topic, in this excerpt by Bill Warner:

The Islam Tax

January 25, 2010

Look at your next airline ticket and you will find a "Security Fee". What is the Security Fee that was passed after September 11, 2001? It is an Islam tax. It is more money out of an American's pocket to pay for the privilege of living with Muslims amongst us.

It turns out that we pay an enormous amount of money for our life with Islam. Let's look at a list of expenses that we bear because of Islamic ideology. If there were no Islam we would not have the Transportation Security Administration, Homeland Security, the Iraq war, the Afghanistan war,

Full article: http://www.politicalislam.com/blog/the-islam-tax/
                          https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg

List of Islamic terror attacks in the last 30 days

Comment

We are never going to be secure. Even 70% security is a fantasy. Unless we remodel everything and go with a more Israeli approach to airport security. Only problem is Americans don't want to see that type of militaristic force in there daily lives. Hell look at our military bases. On TV it portrays armed guards, roving patrols with rifles, bomb dogs and detection equipment. We had two attacks at the same base and we don't have that much.

People complain about security but don't want to spend more then 2 mins in a security line and huff and puff if they have to take their ball cap off. Mention them taking their shoes and coats off and they almost have a heart attack.
                            Last edited by chuck9899; 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                              Nutbar whining about the TSA aside, I wonder if some people just have a genetic disposition to surviving low-oxygen environments. Most people die, this kid just wakes up and hops off the plane.
                              16 yr old from San Jose - either a gamer or a doper. Either way, he is used to low oxygen in the cranial void usually occupied by a brain.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3701 users online. 200 members and 3501 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X