X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposing a liar?

Sorry to bug you guys,

I currently work for the US Army and there's a co-worker that is in the process of a medical discharge that has begun telling his other co-workers and I that he is a sworn LEO that left his PD (Rio Rancho PD, New Mexico) to join the Army.

Normally I'd brush it off, but he's actually 20 years old and claims to have joined at 18. I know that the requirements for most prospective LEO's to even apply is that they must be 21 years of age or 21 years of age by the time that they graduate POST, the Academy, etc.

He's been going on and on (I'm assuming lying) about how many ridiculous calls for service he's gotten, how he has seen death, etc. Most people just brush it off and the people that believe he's lying seem to as well. But a few people that I work with that are interested in actually working towards getting that title once we leave the military are starting to get annoyed. I'm just casually posting here seeing if anyone would be so kind to post a source to some sort of law that was put into effect that would show that you /cannot/ become a sworn Law Enforcement Officer in the state of New Mexico at the age of 18.

I appreciate your time,
    Prospective.

I will put down money that he was probably an explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
      You just type faster than I do LOL.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

http://www.ci.rio-rancho.nm.us/index.aspx?NID=224

Basic Eligibility Requirements
        All applications will be considered for selection process when the applicant meets the following eligibility under New Mexico State Law (29-7-6 NMSA 1978):
        1. Must be a United States Citizen.
        2. Must be at least 21 years of age.
        Google is your friend.
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Google is. But his argument is that the law recently changed. I can easily google and find out that the age requirement is 21, but I'm having trouble finding something that shows /how/ long the law has been in effect.
          Prospective.

Comment

He may be on the level (about the age thing anyways). The wayback machine shows that in 2010, their recruitment web page said 18 years of age for the minimum.

http://web.archive.org/web/201006171...x.aspx?NID=224

All applications will be considered for selection process when the applicant meets the following eligibility under New Mexico State Law (29-7-6 NMSA 1978):
            Must be a United States Citizen.
            Must be at least 18 years of age.

Comment

Below are is the minimum age qualifications for being a police officer in New Mexico.

As far as I am aware-------------the age of majority in the United States is age 18

NEW MEXICO STATUTES AND CODES
              Section 29-7-6 - Qualifications for certification.

Listen

29-7-6. Qualifications for certification.

A. An applicant for certification shall provide evidence satisfactory to the board that he:

(1) is a citizen of the United States and has reached the age of majority;

(2) holds a high school diploma or the equivalent;

(3) holds a valid driver's license;
              - See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/new-mexico/....UUCaQJsB.dpuf

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
              I am still going with this ^^^^^
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 02-19-2014, 01:36 PM.
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by RClar93 View Post
                Google is. But his argument is that the law recently changed. I can easily google and find out that the age requirement is 21, but I'm having trouble finding something that shows /how/ long the law has been in effect.
                According to the law cited, it appears that it has been that way since 1978. "New Mexico State Law (29-7-6 NMSA 1978)"
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help, guys.
                  Prospective.

Comment

If you really wanna have some fun, get in touch with the department, find out who runs the explorer program, then tell 'um you're looking to get in touch with your buddy (give them the name of the dude you're looking for). With any luck, the person running the program will be able to give you all kinds of interesting tidbits about the individual in question.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                      If you really wanna have some fun, get in touch with the department, find out who runs the explorer program, then tell 'um you're looking to get in touch with your buddy (give them the name of the dude you're looking for). With any luck, the person running the program will be able to give you all kinds of interesting tidbits about the individual in question.
                      Then, when the OP applies to LE jobs down the line, he can list this as his first investigation!
                      sigpic

"I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

-Thee Rant (surprisingly)

Originally posted by NYCTNT
                      DF,

Why do you bother?

Comment

If you determine that the guy's lying, and also decide that the guy's not a total jagrag, you might make an attempt to help him out by explaining to him that sometimes young men tend to tell self-aggrandizing stories with some disregard for veracity, because they are competitive, and are apt to feel that they are not given all the esteem they merit, and so may be tempted to to take a shortcut and claim esteem they don't merit, presumably in order to even things up, despite that road leading soon to disdain.
                        Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 02-19-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Note to RClar93: With any luck, you'll be somewhere miles away when he's telling people about all the Ranger/Special Forces/Delta stuff he did while he was in the Army. Maybe he'll get "called" on that. dig.gif

Get one of the new digital BS meters. The analog ones are fun to watch, but the needles are too easily bent when certain individuals get near.
                          bsmeter.gif
                          --
                          Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

The age of majority for hiring in most of the US is age 18; but in many states TN included, you must be 21 to go armed. A few of my classmates had to sit behind a desk for a few months up to a year because they weren't old enough to carry a firearm.

That was when we had the PST program (now defunct), one hired on at 18, went to a short (6 weeks) academy, went to college on the city's dime, got an associates, and after completing the full-blown real deal academy, became a sworn officer.

Comment

Had a classmate that turned 21 in the academy and have other agent who was 19 when he graduated the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4668 users online. 292 members and 4376 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X