X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffIL
    replied
    Originally posted by mayburymh View Post
    Everyone has their own "thing" that they're really passionate about enforcing. Yours is traffic enforcement, and that's just fine. Tagging someone for excessive speed, with zero other damages, just doesn't sit well with me, though. If I may, let me tell you how my LE career began. On day 2 of my field training program, my FTO and I watched CHP pull over our patrol zone partner on I-8 eastbound between the Brock Research exit and the Gordon's Well exit. Our partner was responding to a sensor activation along the border fence, and the CHP Officer pulled him over for speeding. Once supervisors go involved and the situation was resolved, we went to check out the sensor location and confirmed that twelve new democrat voters had just successfully entered the United States without being apprehended. But obviously that CHP Officer was doing the Lord's work in keeping the highways safe. Then again, as some have suggested, maybe he had a BOLO for a suspicious white truck with green lettering, red and blue lights on top, and DHS plates.

If I see them or any LEO in a solo vehicle stop, I ALWAYS stop and offer backup. That being said, I burn their hiding spots at every opportunity.
    Sounds like his own fault for stopping.

Leave a comment:

• wheels295
    replied
    I flash my headlights when deer or some other hazard is in the road. I don't flash my lights when I see someone running speed. If I see someone do it while I'm on duty I speed up to screw with whoever is running speed. I actually enjoy traffic, but I'm a proactive person. Drugs, illegal weapons, stolen property, warrants and so on mostly come from traffic stops.

Leave a comment:

• FiVo3
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
    So if you stop a Mini-Cooper, do you have to throw it back?
    Yes, those, Miatas and Fiat 500s.

Leave a comment:

• Pogue Mahone
    replied
    Originally posted by FiVo3 View Post
    Exactly. If the fish don't bite, move to another spot.
    So if you stop a Mini-Cooper, do you have to throw it back?

Leave a comment:

• FiVo3
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom S View Post
    So what if someone flashes a light and warns a couple of oncoming drivers off. There will be more speeders along directly. There is no shortage of speeders on just about any well traveled road. It's not like you are trying to trap the Loch Ness Monster. Idiots are everywhere, more will be by soon enough.
    Exactly. If the fish don't bite, move to another spot.

Leave a comment:

• Pogue Mahone
    replied
    Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
    Next up they should legalize flashing boobs on the highway. There would be far less road rage.
    Don't we have enough bδδbs on the highway as it is?

Leave a comment:

• Aerohead
    replied
    Next up they should legalize flashing boobs on the highway. There would be far less road rage.

Leave a comment:

• GangGreen712
    replied
    I really don't see too much of an issue with warning drivers of upcoming hazards, be it a speed trap, accident, black ice, or to turn on their headlights. What's the harm in telling someone they need to wake up, slow down, or drive carefully?

Leave a comment:

• BTR1701
    replied
    Originally posted by Mulgrave600 View Post
    We not only have high beam flashers, we have an entire Facebook page dedicated to updates to the minute about where random breath test roadblocks and traffic units running laser are.
    In CA, law enforcement has to publish in advance notice of where and when DUI checkpoints will be set up in order for the checkpoint to be legal.

Leave a comment:

• BTR1701
    replied
    Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
    Personally, it doesn't bother me, but for fun, sometimes if someone flashes at my unmarked vehicle to warn me of an officer ahead, I like to hit my blues and tap my brakes and watch them brake as well.
    I drive an unmarked Crown Vic-- seems obvious to me it's cop car, but a lot of people apparently just don't notice-- and I love to watch the reactions on the freeway when some jerk starts tailgating me and/or flashing his lights because I'm in his way, and I briefly flip on the back strobes. It's hilarious how quickly they back off and fade into the distance.

Leave a comment:

• BTR1701
    replied
    Originally posted by Shush View Post
    Its actually not a major stretch.

After a ball game one night, my son and his older brother were on their way home. A few cars in front of them was a girl that didn't have much driving experience. The speed limit was 55. Everyone was doing 50. There was a cop car sitting up from the school because he'd been directing traffic out of the intersection. Someone coming the other direction flashed their lights, momentarily blinded/ stunned the girl. She hit her brakes pretty hard. The car behind was a safe distance, but it was sudden and they couldn't help but hit her, and then my son hit them.

So everyone can say "statistically improbable" or "statistically insignificant" -- but see if you feel the same when your two sons are in a car accident and you are the responding.
    The same thing could have happened when that immature driver saw a cop car parked on the side of the road running radar. She slams on the brakes, your kid rear-ends her and gets rear-ended. Should cops be banned from running radar because they might cause accidents in a tiny percentage of the population? If your answer is no, then your argument is not logically consistent regarding the headlight flash.

Leave a comment:

• Tom S
    replied
    So what if someone flashes a light and warns a couple of oncoming drivers off. There will be more speeders along directly. There is no shortage of speeders on just about any well traveled road. It's not like you are trying to trap the Loch Ness Monster. Idiots are everywhere, more will be by soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• Yankee_1
    replied
    I guess Its up to each officers perception. We have a law that headlights must be on with your wipers. I am not writting a ticket in the rain, so no one gets those tickets. And yes the South takes traffic seriously were as we don't.

Leave a comment:

• RSGSRT
    replied
    ^^^Well said^^^

Leave a comment:

• LTMPDPY
    replied
    I think it's pathetic that this is still a topic up for discussion - one more reason why departments are increasingly requiring Bachelor's degrees for new recruits.

Communicating through safe and reasonable means should never be unlawful, which is why this court has decided in this fashion. Unless a certain jurisdiction has an explicit law forbidding the utilization of high-beam lights for communication on the roadway, you do not have probable cause that a crime took place. It's common sense really, and if you don't understand that then I guess its time for old-timers to hang up their hats.

With respect to this particular issue, all motorists have a responsibility to ensure safety on public roadways. If a driver notices another driver falling asleep at the wheel, it is not unreasonable for him to attempt to wake him via audible or visual signal. Similarly, it is not unreasonable for a driver to signal another driver who is traveling at an unsafe speed, whether knowingly or not, in an attempt to convince the driver to decrease to a safe speed. The speeding vehicle's potential eventual contact with LEO in the area is irrelevant to the signaling motorist's responsibility to ensure public safety at the moment of communication.

I know this throws a wrench in a lazy and likely poorly skilled LEO's quota/donut-timeline/logical reasoning ability, but if that LEO can't adjust fire and find a way to do his/her job, well then it might be time to find another career.

After all, there are always traffic violations taking place, and there will always be felonies being committed. Get creative, and catch the criminals. No more pity parties.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6118 users online. 352 members and 5766 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X