Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop Stops to Throw Football with Kid

/start_sarcasm/
    How dare LEO Soltura stop his service vehicle and play football with a little boy waiting for his friends.

This is an outrage, Soltura should be reprimanded or suspended with pay for not going after the murderers and handing out traffic tickets! I am calling his police chief to demand his resignation pending an internal investigation. /end_sarcasm/

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=9399954

Officer in viral Rosenberg Police Department dashcam video says he was just doing his job

ROSENBERG, TX (KTRK) -- A Rosenberg police officer whose game of catch has gone viral says his job is all about interacting with the community.

If you have seen the video of an officer tossing a football with a little boy he didn't know at an apartment complex in Rosenberg, you're one of about a million.

The kinds of dashcam videos we usually see are police chases and general mayhem, which makes this dashcam video remarkable and unforgettable.

The officer's act of kindness has melted hearts around the world, so we wanted to introduce you to him: Sgt. Ariel Soltura.

Soltura said he was on patrol Saturday afternoon when he noticed the boy throwing the ball by himself. So, he slowed down.

"And I saw he was throwing up a football, and I could tell he was playing by himself," Soltura recalled. "He didn't have anybody to play with. He wasn't just waiting for more kids to arrive."

Soltura could have just continued driving. Instead, he stopped.

"I literally got out of the car. I did like this, which is the universal sign of 'throw me the football,' and at that time you just saw his face lit up, and he was ready to play," Soltura said. "At that time, he and I both connected. We began to throw the football. You can see that I'm obviously trying to get him to go along, and so we're just playing a game of catch, and it was awesome."

They were two men, as Soltura said, playing football on a perfect day.

Rosenberg PD posted the dashcam video on Facebook that day, saying "While a 2 minute game of football might not mean anything, to some it could mean everything! #ReachThemBeforeTheWolvesDo." That post received close to 3,000 likes and 4,000 shares in fewer than 24 hours.

Truth be told, Soltura said, it's part of the department's emphasis on community policing -- not as adversaries, but as neighbors -- and what was captured on this dashcam video has gone viral in a good way.

"It was cool that the public got to see what police officers do on a daily basis," Soltura said. "If we see a kid kicking the can, they want us to go out there and replace that can with a ball, and hopefully we've made an impact on these kids' futures for the rest of their lives."

On this day and in this place, you could say that's what happened -- all because of a kid with a football without anyone to throw it to until a police officer arrived and threw it long.

"It's important because we all live in this world together," Soltura said. "We all make an impact in this world and make it a better place."
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.

. . .that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

-- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America

Sad part is this goes on alot but no one ever sees it or knows about it. Its not as newsworthy as the one fool who does something stupid making everyone look bad .

Good job Sgt. Ariel Soltura

Comment

Sad part is, cops in the NYPD have been disciplined for this exact scenario. Sad, miserable department that punishes community interaction behind doors, but says the promote it to the press.

Ps good work to the officer.

Comment

Frankly I'm shocked that:

1. The media is presenting this in a positive light
        2. There aren't special interest groups screaming about how babies could have been dying while the LEO was off playing football with some kid

Everyone is entitled to take a break during their work day. I can get up and leave my office at any time, no problem. The problem with being a LEO is you're driving your office wherever you go, and you're in uniform, so the presumption is that you're always on duty. Never mind the fact that what this officer did has zero downside no matter how you look at it. Boost public interaction, maybe change one kid's perception of LE.
        Last edited by JustAJ; 01-22-2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I love stories like this. I remember reading on Collegehumor.com a similar story in their "I fought the law" section (basically, viewer submitted stories of police encounters, both good and bad). A kid said he and a few friends were playing street hockey on their street. A cruiser stopped and two officers stepped out. The guy said he thought they were going to get scolded for blocking the street, but the officers asked if the kids had any extra sticks and if they needed some goalies. They played with the kids for about five minutes until they got called to a DV. I bet that gave those group of kids a good argument next time one of their friends went on another "cops are jerks" rant.

I've had so many good stories that I've either observed or experienced with the police that it ****es me off that the media doesn't cover them. Granted, most of my police encounters have been positive because I found out a little trick called "obeying the law". There's tens of thousands of police officers in this country, and I've found many, if not most, are like the guys like this. It's good to see something like this for a change.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
            Frankly I'm shcoked that:

1. The media is presenting this in a positive light
            2. There aren't special interest groups screaming about how babies could have been dying while hte LEO was off playing football with some kid

Everyone is entitled to take a break during their work day. I can get up and leave my office at any time, no problem. The problem with being a LEO is you're driving your office wherever you go, and you're in uniform, so the presumption is that you're always on duty. Never mind the fact that what this officer did has zero downside no matter how you look at it. Boost public interaction, maybe change one kid's perception of LE.
            You should see the hatred being spewed about this incident from posters in my area...

Comment

What?! You mean the cop didn't get out of his car to taser the kid?! But the media tells me that's what cops do all day! That is what the police are for, right? To harass people, taser them, and find something to charge them with? Don't tell me I've been lied to all this time! Surely this child was cited for something? Excessive play? Public fun-having? Failure to to secure carefree emotion? Police aren't people, silly.

Did I miss anything?

Seriously, I wish people would recognize this type of stuff more often. Maybe not every officer gets out to play catch with a kid on a daily basis, but I guarantee there are so many acts of kindness that go unnoticed for lack of being a sexy story.

Comment

That's a great story, but when I read:

I did like this, which is the universal sign of 'throw me the football,'
                I couldn't help but think of this:

Comment

love the king of queens, watch it every night ! Only thing that borthers me about that show is the outside of the house they show is not the same as the inside of the house, dont know why but it drives me crazy.

Comment

Last time I checked, throwing a football was not part of the use of force continuum.
                    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by PtownVAMike View Post
                      Last time I checked, throwing a football was not part of the use of force continuum.
                      Get Russell Wilson or Peyton Manning to become reserves, and it might be...
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
                        love the king of queens, watch it every night ! Only thing that borthers me about that show is the outside of the house they show is not the same as the inside of the house, dont know why but it drives me crazy.
                        That and he's married to a HOT chick!

And how in the hell do they afford to live there with everything they have on a delivery driver and secretary salary??
                        Originally posted by RSGSRT
                        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Just makes me immediately think of this gem:

Comment

Thanks OP -- nice.

Comment

More information about http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/police-officer-stops-to-p

I first learned about this news story at
                              http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/police-officer-stops-to-play-catch-with-boy-playing-alone-002435126.html?vp=1

I highly recommend that readers skim through many of the comments posted as replies to this story at that link. Many of them describe other similar experiences where officers performed good deeds.

Stories like this one should be front page news and lead television newscasts. Unfortunately, they often are buried inside newspapers or end newscasts. That alone is a crime.

Sergeant Ariel Soltura states that he was never promoted during the time he had served. Had I been the Chief of Police of his agency, I would have made him my Assistant Chief and put him in charge of the training of all probationary officers and the re-training of all FTO's (Field Training Officers).

Sergeant Ariel Soltura, I salute you. Thank you for your service.
                              Last edited by BAinCJ; 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM.
                              Living it one day at a time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4574 users online. 289 members and 4285 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X