Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much time off do you get per year?

I'm interested to see a comparison. We get 9 weeks as the normal amount, generally 4 or 5 weeks in the first half of the year and the rest in the second half. You can sell leave back to the department in return for working special operations or buy extra leave from them.

At the start of each year a calendar is put up and everyone nominates the dates they want their leave. There will be a maximum number that an office can have on leave at any one time so sometimes there will be some negotiating for time off over Christmas, Easter and other school holidays.

I'd never sell my time off and I don't want to give back my salary so I just take the standard 9 weeks over the course of the year.

A common vacation offering for LEO's in Iowa is simialr to the below schedule
    2 weeks a yr for the first 5 yrs
    3 weeks a yr for 6-11 yrs
    4 weeks a yr 12-20 yrs
    5 weeks a yr after 25

That by the way is the State of Iowa employee's vacation per contract
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Vacation: 10 days per year for 1-5
      15 days per year for 6-10
      20 days per year for 11-retirement

Personal: 5 days per year

Holidays: 14 & 15 (alternating every other year for general elections)

Sick leave: 12 days per year

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I am at my current department for six years and get the following:

10 Vacation
        14 Schedule Adjustment Days
        2 Personal
        Unlimited sick time

Also currently working the 12 hour Pittman.
        We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          A common vacation offering for LEO's in Iowa is simialr to the below schedule
          2 weeks a yr for the first 5 yrs
          3 weeks a yr for 6-11 yrs
          4 weeks a yr 12-20 yrs
          5 weeks a yr after 25

That by the way is the State of Iowa employee's vacation per contract
          Iowa also has 12 Holiday days a year
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Wow after seeing some of those numbers I should never complain about being worked too hard again!

Interesting to see that you get more leave the more time on you have. A freshly graduated recruit here gets the same annual leave as a 35 year member nearing retirement.

Our sick leave accumulates during your career though. Every year you can take a number of sick days without a doctor's certificate. If you don't use them they become sick days that you need a certificate to take. It's not uncommon for older members to end up with a year or more of sick leave which they burn through before they retire because it doesn't get paid out. Quite a few people also make sure they use EVERY non-certificate sick day each year, sick or not which annoys me.

We also get long service leave after ten years service. You can take three months off on full pay or six months on half.

Comment

1-5 years - 2 weeks
              5-10 years - 3 weeks
              10-15 years - 4 weeks
              Over 15 years - 5 weeks

We can have 2-1/2 times our annual accrual on the books. We can take v-days whenever there is room on the schedule. I usually take a week two or three times a year and a random day here and there. My balance hasn't gone below 400 hours for a few years.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

We top out at 4 weeks after 15 years on....
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Currently I get 6 hours every two weeks, or about 19 days a year, of vacation time. Additionally I get 4 hours of sick time every two weeks.

Comment

I can get a lot of time off if I screw up

Comment

We get Annual Leave credit, which can be used as either sick leave or vacation. In addition we are expected to work all holidays, but instead of getting overtime we are given an extra 164 hours of Annual Leave credit per year to make up for having to work the holidays. If you want to take a holiday off and it does not fall on your regularly scheduled day off, you have to burn Annual Leave credit.

Combining these hours together, we get:

1 to 3 years = 36 days per year

3 to 10 years = 40.5 days per year

10 to 15 years = 43.5 days per year

15 to 20 years = 45 days per year

20 + years = 46.5 days per year

There is supposed to be a cap of 816 Annual Leave hours, but many folks routinely go over it. Some folks have retired and been paid off for as many as 1,500 to 2,000 hours on the books.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I took 40 days last years, as a four year Officer. I think I sold back 8 hours, but I can't remember.

I knew we had it good, but some of you are getting screwed. I would be homicidal if I only had 2 weeks a year...

Comment

Originally posted by MIDWAY View Post
                          I took 40 days last years, as a four year Officer. I think I sold back 8 hours, but I can't remember.

I knew we had it good, but some of you are getting screwed. I would be homicidal if I only had 2 weeks a year...
                          Holy crap! Once I get 15 years under my belt I'll bump up to 26 days per year.

Comment

We topped out at 4 weeks per year, but the only way I found to manage to get that fourth week in was to take a day or two here and there to work on those "honey-do" jobs. It took me 11 years before I had enough seniority to be able to get the full first week of deer season off.

Comment

1 day per month worked for 0-5 years.
                              1.5 days per month worked for 5-10 years.
                              2 days per month worked for 10+ years.

This rolls over for a maximum of 2 years worth of accumulated time off (so for the 1day/mo you can have 24 days banked, etc.)

In addition, you have 15 days paid off for short-term sick leave (expires every year).

In addition to THAT, you have 6 months paid extended sick leave at full pay and 6 months of extended sick leave at half pay, which resets every 5 years.

This is true for me, and the officers that work here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5543 users online. 383 members and 5160 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X