X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson...land-20140112/

Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland

HUDSON – John Filippidis, silver-haired family man, business owner, employer and taxpayer, is also licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

He’d rather he didn’t feel the need, “but things aren’t like they used to be. The break-ins, the burglaries, all the crime. And I carry cash a lot of the time. I’m constantly going to the bank.

“I wanted to be able to defend my family, my household and the ground I’m standing on. But I’m not looking for any trouble.”

Filippidis keeps his gun — a palm-sized Kel-Tec .38 semiautomatic, barely larger than a smartphone in a protective case — in one of two places, always: in the right-hand pocket of his jeans, or in the safe at home.

“There are kids in the house,” Filippidis says, “and I don’t think they’d ever bother with it, but I don’t want to take any chances.”

He’s not looking for any trouble, after all.

Trouble, in fact, was the last thing on his mind a few weeks back as the Filippidises packed for Christmas and a family wedding in Woodridge, N.J., so he left the pistol locked in the safe. The state of Florida might have codified his Second Amendment rights, but he knew he’d be passing through states where recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions affirming the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms have been met by hostile legislatures and local officials.

“I know the laws and I know the rules,” Filippidis says. There are, after all, ways gun owners can travel legally with firearms through hostile states. “But I just think it’s a better idea to leave it home.”

So there the Filippidises were on New Year’s Eve eve, southbound on Interstate 95 — John; wife Kally (his Gulf High sweetheart); the 17-year-old twins Nasia and Yianni; and 13-year-old Gina in their 2012 Ford Expedition — just barely out of the Fort McHenry Tunnel into Maryland, blissfully unarmed and minding their own business when they noticed they were being bird-dogged by an unmarked patrol car. It flanked them a while, then pulled ahead of them, then fell in behind them.

“Ten minutes he’s behind us,” John says. “We weren’t speeding. In fact, lots of other cars were whizzing past.”

“You know you have a police car behind you, you don’t speed, right?” Kally adds.

Says John, “We keep wondering, is he going to do something?”

Finally the patrol car’s emergency lights come on, and it’s almost a relief. Whatever was going on, they’d be able to get it over with now. The officer — from the Transportation Authority Police, as it turns out, Maryland’s version of the New York-New Jersey Port Authority — strolls up, does the license and registration bit, and returns to his car.

According to Kally and John (but not MTAP, which, pending investigation, could not comment), what happened next went like this:

Ten minutes later he’s back, and he wants John out of the Expedition. Retreating to the space between the SUV and the unmarked car, the officer orders John to hook his thumbs behind his back and spread his feet. “You own a gun,” the officer says. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” John answers.

“Don’t move,” says the officer.

Now he’s at the passenger’s window. “Your husband owns a gun,” he says. “Where is it?”

First Kally says, “I don’t know.” Retelling it later she says, “And that’s all I should have said.” Instead, attempting to be helpful, she added, “Maybe in the glove [box]. Maybe in the console. I’m scared of it. I don’t want to have anything to do with it. I might shoot right through my foot.”

The officer came back to John. “You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”

Of course, John couldn’t show him what didn’t exist, but Kally’s failure to corroborate John’s account, the officer would tell them later, was the probable cause that allowed him to summon backup — three marked cars joined the lineup along the I-95 shoulder — and empty the Expedition of riders, luggage, Christmas gifts, laundry bags; to pat down Kally and Yianni; to explore the engine compartment and probe inside door panels; and to separate and isolate the Filippidises in the back seats of the patrol cars.

Ninety minutes later, or maybe it was two hours — “It felt like forever,” Kally says — no weapon found and their possessions repacked, the episode ended ... with the officer writing out a warning.

“All that time, he’s humiliating me in front of my family, making me feel like a criminal,” John says. “I’ve never been to prison, never declared bankruptcy, I pay my taxes, support my 20 employees’ families; I’ve never been in any kind of trouble.”

Face red, eyes shining, John pounds his knees. “And he wants to put me in jail. He wants to put me in jail. For no reason. He wants to take my wife and children away and put me in jail. In America, how does such a thing happen? ... And after all that, he didn’t even write me a ticket.”

Now, despite having fielded apologies from the officer’s captain as well as from a Maryland Transportation Authority Police internal affairs captain, John is wondering if he shouldn’t just cancel his CCW license.

For a guy who’s not looking for trouble, that’s not an unreasonable conclusion. And it would please fans of gun control by any means. But let’s hope John Filippidis, American family man, taxpayer and good guy, doesn’t cave, because it would be a sad statement about the brittleness of our guarantees — some would call them sacred — under the Constitution.
    Biased reporting aside, it does raise questions about reasonable suspicion vehicle searches e.g. Carroll v. United States and Arizona v. Gant. That and maybe next time he'll tell his wife "the gun's locked up in the safe at home."

I've been stopped before with my wife in the car and shown my CCW permit even when not carrying because it came out of my wallet with my license, and the officer simply asked me, "Are you carrying?" I told him no, the officer said, "Ok" and handed me my permit back. Didn't ask my wife, "Is he carrying" or "Where's his gun at", etc. etc.
    SCFC Dispatch Manager

This story wasn't biased and one sided at all....I'm sure the officer(s) followed him just because they psychically knew he owns a gun (how would they even know that?), pulled him over, and detained him for 90/120 minutes with 3 other scout cars.

IF this story is true, I'm sure there's a HELL of a lot more to it.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
      This story wasn't biased and one sided at all....I'm sure the officer(s) followed him just because they psychically knew he owns a gun (how would they even know that?), pulled him over, and detained him for 90/120 minutes with 3 other scout cars.

IF this story is true, I'm sure there's a HELL of a lot more to it.
      Beyond the blatant inaccuracies this article smacks of- I believe not one gosh darn thing the ‘media’ reports on.

i.e.

a palm-sized Kel-Tec .38 semiautomatic

probable cause that allowed him to summon backup

Ninety minutes later, or maybe it was two hours
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

If this story is true, the LE agency and all involved need their asses sued until the cows come home and the state is bankrupt. To treat a law abiding citizen the way it was reported is just plain bull ****.

I am very supportive of LE, but this harassment is just typical of the liberal, left-leaning politics of that region of the country.
        My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
          If this story is true, the LE agency and all involved need their asses sued until the cows come home and the state is bankrupt. To treat a law abiding citizen the way it was reported is just plain bull ****.

I am very supportive of LE, but this harassment is just typical of the liberal, left-leaning politics of that region of the country.
          I believe this story about as much as I believe that the Shake Weight will turn me into a supermodel.
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I live in the suburb of Moscow (Maryland) and travel through the tunnel mentioned in this story and I don't believe this crap of a story.

Shame because normally it's the left that spews this kind of one sided stuff in regard to guns.

Comment

See? This is the danger of stories like this. There are people who WANT this story to be true enough that they will forgive the gross inaccuracies throughout it in order to have a reason to be angry. It may not be true, but IF it is, then I'm angry at what happened, even if it didn't.

If you are in the mood to rage, read the comments section under the article so you can enjoy the comments of how people should travel to Maryland and murder the officers involved.
              “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Let's ignore the one sided bias here for a minute.

I am wondering how a police officer knows that an out of state resident (or in state) has a CCW just by running their tag. That could be considered a form of firearm registration without the permit holder even knowing. Not to mention a 4A violation as well.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                  I believe this story about as much as I believe that the Shake Weight will turn me into a supermodel.
                  Which version of the Shakeweight? The real version will make you look like a soccer mom. The South Park version will make you look like a Kardashian.

Originally posted by RSGSRT View Post
                  Let's ignore the one sided bias here for a minute.

I am wondering how a police officer knows that an out of state resident (or in state) has a CCW just by running their tag. That could be considered a form of firearm registration without the permit holder even knowing. Not to mention a 4A violation as well.

Thoughts?
                  Despite the bias in likely inaccuracies, this SHOULD serve as a warning and an example. Firearm registration is a precursor to confiscation. It's one thing to run the plates and they come back to someone with a warrant or a violent criminal history, then stop them based on a traffic violation, and from there proceed according to officer safety. It is another thing entirely to run tags then stop someone because they come back to someone who owns a firearm.

I wonder when the pro 2A types and the anti gun control crowd will realize that a vast majority of LE is pro 2A.
                  I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

If you run the plate, then run the driver no name/dob you can sometimes get a return, from that return, if FL enters CCW into NCIC it will flag, but not all states enter CCW into NCIC, Texas for instance, does not.
                    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                      I wonder when the pro 2A types and the anti gun control crowd will realize that a vast majority of LE is pro 2A.
                      I've never heard anyone argue that the majority of rank and file LEO's aren't pro 2A. I think the pro 2A people can't stand the garbage the appointed by a gun grabber politician chiefs spew.

Comment

Originally posted by BikeCop501 View Post
                        If you run the plate, then run the driver no name/dob you can sometimes get a return, from that return, if FL enters CCW into NCIC it will flag, but not all states enter CCW into NCIC, Texas for instance, does not.
                        Thanks I didn't know that.

Comment

From what I have been able to find, Florida maintains a database of CCW holders and their information, and is available to LE through the in-car computer system. So it's reasonable to think that the information is available out of state as well.

Comment

I've never heard anyone argue that the majority of rank and file LEO's aren't pro 2A. I think the pro 2A people can't stand the garbage the appointed by a gun grabber politician chiefs spew.
                            I think many of these articles take that tone, so at the very least it is implied.
                            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Thanks I didn't know that.
                              There were times I would soundex (NCIC and TCIC both utilize the “soundex” system for searching the persons files, driver’s license, or the criminal history files using the name (NAM), sex (SEX), race (RAC), and date of birth fields (DOB). However, the system operates differently for each system. The name is converted to a alphanumeric code by using the first letter, dropping all vowels (including “Y” if at the end) and repeating letters, and assigning a numeric value to similar sounding letters. For example, the name “COX” is converted to C4, while the name “COSSEY” is also converted to “C4”. For NCIC and TCIC persons files, the name “COX” and “COSSEY” are identical. You can run name/sex/race to get returns) drivers and see if I can match it to the registered vehicle. If the system shows expired/suspended, its enough RS to make a stop.

Now in MD, I don/t think possessing a CCW/CHL/CCP/Whateveryouwanttocallit is enough RS/PC for a search or a stop.
                              Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5330 users online. 288 members and 5042 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X