300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I getting too old for LE?

I know that most departments have no upper age limits and that people have gotten on for the first time as late as 40, 50, and even 60. However, I'm told that almost everyone who gets on that late is usually coming off a full 20 year (or longer) career in the military. I've also been told that at 28, I'm probably too old to have a chance anywhere since I don't have military experience. I've taken a break from my constant applications for LE jobs in this horrible economy, but I'm thinking about going through an academy sometime next year and trying to get on at least part time somewhere here in PA, but if I'm too much of a geezer, I don't want to waste my money. What's the trend these days? Are departments still hiring old guys like me?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
    I know that most departments have no upper age limits and that people have gotten on for the first time as late as 40, 50, and even 60. However, I'm told that almost everyone who gets on that late is usually coming off a full 20 year (or longer) career in the military. I've also been told that at 28, I'm probably too old to have a chance anywhere since I don't have military experience. I've taken a break from my constant applications for LE jobs in this horrible economy, but I'm thinking about going through an academy sometime next year and trying to get on at least part time somewhere here in PA, but if I'm too much of a geezer, I don't want to waste my money. What's the trend these days? Are departments still hiring old guys like me?
    Aside from a few municipal and federal agencies that have age limits- you are safe and should apply away.

I must ask- who is telling you that those later in life who enter LE are usually coming out of the military? While there are certainly a good number of Veterans (both retired and having done a sting or two) going into LE- by no means is this an absolute. And yes, while some departments do look more favorably on Veterans (by virtue, precedent or policy) a non-Vet does have a chance.

If you don’t have a degree- get one (in something other than CJ). And 28 is still quite the kid in my book.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

We hire up to age 35. Military experience only gains you two things with us. First, it adds extra points to your final score (we hire in order of your score).

Next, being in the military sometimes helps people get their act together. In turn, that may help them give better answers on their oral board assessment and (again) earn them more points.

However, just because you have been in the military doesn't mean you will do the job better than anyone else and we don't reject people because they don't have military experience. We've had prior military who have been real idiots, and we've had non-military who I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world. Mainly, it all comes down to what kind of an impression you make and how you score during he oral.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I'm 29 and just graduated the academy back in May, but we had a few guys in their early 30's, and we also had our "Pop" cadet in his 40's.

Comment

If I was hiring for any position of responsibility in any career field I would be more interested in what you have been doing for the last 10years since high school. Than how old you were. If you had just been jagging off, I would have concerns.

Comment

We just hired one at about 40, no military and not even sure whether he has a degree. Also hired quite a few younger folks. Generally speaking I think you're right in the wheelhouse of where I like to see folks applying (24-35ish). Keep applying.

Comment

Don't let anyone tell you you're too old. I was hired at age 34 and went through the academy at age 35. It was no walk in the park, but not nearly as rigorous as Army Basic Training (I have not been in the military since 1996). I am now one of the most productive officers on my department and the lead physical tactics instructor at age 41. I, for one, welcome the "life experience" of officers in their late 20's - early 30's.

Comment

Go ask jcioccke about being "too old" to be the police.

I was 31 when I entered the academy (with nagging injuries and pi** poor conditioning). IF I am ever able to attempt another academy, I'll be at least 33-34 years old.

We had a retired NYPD cop (late 40's) in my academy. Also had a few other former military who were in their late 30's/early 40's. If you want to do it - DO IT - regrets are almost as bad as quitting.
                Originally posted by RSGSRT
                We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Good to know. I was getting confused because when I started trying to get on the job at about age 23, I was told I was "too young" and should wait till I'm 25 at least (not the same people). I have a college degree, clean background, and good references, but just a lot of bad luck with getting jobs, LE and otherwise. But, I just started a full time job a few months ago and my boss loves me and has encouraged me to get certified, so maybe things will turn the corner with law enforcement as well...
                  "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                  -Chris Rock

Comment

Good God, man! 28 is nowhere near being too old; it is actually a great age. Don't know who told you older guys tend to be retired military because it is not true.

Comment

Had multiple guys in my academy class in their 40's and some of them did better than us young guys. I was hired at 20 and started the academy at 21, the average age in my class was around 28.
                      "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Comment

I went through academy at age 21... Then again at 51.... It was easier at 21....

If there is no age limit for the agency you're hiring with, then the only real restriction is your ability to perform... mentally and physically.....

Going through the academy at 51 is no small matter... It's tough, but if you're tougher, you'll win.

I was the "old man" in my academy class... the other closest ages were 45 and 42 and while both of them made it through the academy, neither made it through FTEP....

The biggest obstacles are mental..... Of course the 3 mile hill run in full gear at 5am seemed like a big obstacle at the time.... But that's another story...

Good luck in your search...

YMMV
                        Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
                        drjayirvin.wordpress.com

Comment

How many places have you applied too? Are u limiting your applications to your state only?
                          "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

28 is too old? LOL, slap the person who told you that one.

I got hired at 27. Most in my class were between 26-30 (oldest was 39) and he was coming from another department. Every interview or other Officer I've talked to, says that 27-30 is a good age to get on at because you have some life experience, work experience, generally some form of people skills, etc. Typically the cut off in this state is 35 and for some departments here it is 40.

Comment

My brother in law graduated from an academy in his 50s. He was number one in academics and PT. The man is still in great shape in his early 70s. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.
                              Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6801 users online. 166 members and 6635 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X