Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prosecute these cops and give em the chair.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prosecute these cops and give em the chair.

Or not.

Seriously. What the hell do these people expect the officers to have done? I can't see how the cops can possibly get hemmed up here.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/26/cops-sh...er-seeing-him/

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

When I first became a cop back in the late 1960s the ACLU was advocating a “First Shot” doctrine for law enforcement. It was their position that firing on a suspect wasn’t reasonable simply because he was pointing what looked like a firearm at police officers. Instead, they insisted that officers wait for the suspect to fire the first shot before using deadly force in order to confirm both his intentions and that he was armed with a real gun.

No one paid attention to such lunacy back then but I suspect that is what’s coming now.
    Last edited by L-1; 10-30-2013, 04:18 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Unfortunately the public fails to appreciate the fact that officers have mere seconds to make some of the most critical decisions anyone could be expected to make. These decisions not only save lives of the very public they serve to protect but also carry with them the sometimes unchangeable result that will be second guessed, critiqued and decried.

I can think of no other civilian job where you are faced with the reality of encountering someone who for their own reason will shoot first. This is the same job that puts you in the position of having to run towards danger while others run from it. This is the world of a cop.

While it is tragic that this young man lost his life and yes, I can remember the days as a boy of his age where I would not have had to worry about playing with a toy gun outside – the fact of the matter is that it did and while the full facts are not yet available; he was encountered on the street with what by all accounts looks like a rifle and the officers had to make a life or death decision when he turned on them.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Isn't it federal law that toy guns must carry the orange tip?

Sounds to me like this was an accident/shooting waiting to happen. Do that around where I used to live in the South Bronx, gang bangers won't think twice but to shoot even if it is a toy.
        This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.

. . .that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

-- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America

Comment

uh oh....minority teen killed in a hoodie.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclonus View Post

Sounds to me like this was an accident/shooting waiting to happen. Do that around where I used to live in the South Bronx, gang bangers won't think twice but to shoot even if it is a toy.
            BB/pellet guns to not have to have an orange tip because they are not "toys" they actually fire projectiles that can be potentially deadly. I believe airsoft guns do require an orange tip. However, if you look in the picture the kids gun is missing the end of the barrel (which leads one to believe he cut it off).

Comment

Before I delve into the legalities as they may or may not apply- the argument that an officer should or not do something when confronted with what appears to be a firearm when they are faced with mere seconds to decide what to do is one that is hard to address.

The presence or absence of an orange tip on a gun has been used as reason to argue the justification to use or not use deadly force- fact of the matter is that there have been several recent cases where miscreants have painted actual firearms to disguise them, have encased and concealed shotguns in the body of a super soaker, have converted toy guns into functioning firearms.. This does not include the countless manufactured devices that appear nothing like a conventional firearm and which are concealed in canes, “cell phones”, wallets and so on. And then we face folks who have converted ordinary objects such as bicycle pumps, steering wheel locks and assorted tools into functioning firearms.

Was this a tragic case? Absolutely it was. Nothing will abate the grief or pain his family and friends feel. And nothing will change the fact that an officer was confronted with what without question looks like a firearm and as had to make a spit second decision.

The federal requirement applies to the point of origin and commerce– while argued both ways, I know of no federal law that applies to the end-user; while there may well be local/state laws that apply. The gun shown next to an actual AK during the press conference gave me pause- had the caption not said which was which- I would have had a hard time; and that when I had minutes to look at a well lit image while not under stress.

See: 15 CFR, PART 1150—MARKING OF TOY, LOOK-ALIKE AND IMITATION FIREARMS

By the way- this very subject was discussed here in 2007- http://forums.officer.com/t64738/
              Originally posted by SSD
              It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
              And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

"Cops should know the difference between a "toy" gun and a real one. Tell you what. I'll call up my buddy, and place my real duty weapon next to my soft air gun, and give him 10 seconds to make a decision. I'll even give him the benefit of having a fully lit room to make the decesion.

(Sidenote, its not that hard to paint a tip black, or to paint a real gun to look like a toy gun. Gangbangers have been doing it for years.

"Nobody should die for a misunderstanding." Ok, tell that to an officer who is murdered by a scrotbag who paints a real gun to look like a toy gun. Are these effers going to shed a tear for him?

I looked at the two guns held up by the Leutienant. I think the one on the right is the arisoft. However, it could be a real gun that was had the front end stuck in mud.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

While I do feel sympathy for the family, I believe the old saying applies: play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

It took me a few moments to realize which gun was real and which was fake until I read the caption. Of course the media didn't bother to find out WHY the kid was walking around with 2 real looking weapons with the orange tips removed. Just goes to show that it doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to be popular.....
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                    Of course the media didn't bother to find out WHY the kid was walking around with 2 real looking weapons with the orange tips removed. Just goes to show that it doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to be popular.....
                    OH...you Red Wing fans and your details.
                    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

An "orange tip" means nothing.

http://ioneglobalgrind.files.wordpre...ng?w=540&h=389

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-...erShotgun2.jpg

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/kf...48_448x252.jpg

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-cont...phone-gun2.jpg

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2...94aa181c1.jpeg

I'm going home.

Comment

CA law states that you can not alter the orange tip sections 20150-20180.

Sucks the kid did for something dum but what if he crossed paths with johnie gangbanger who that this kid was carrying and disrespected little johnies hood. how about parents step up and take accountability and know what your kid is doing. fake gun or real gun we as cops only see a GUN period and I'm sure as chit that I'm doing what ever it takes to make it home to my family every night, screw the bad guy
                        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Feel bad for the family and for the deputy, nobody wants to lose a family member or take a life

That being said...

If I identify you as a threat, give you commands and you turn and raise the barrel of a weapon.... stand by rounds are coming your way.
                          Originally posted by Rudy8116
                          The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
                          OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                            CA law states that you can not alter the orange tip sections 20150-20180.

Sucks the kid did for something dum but what if he crossed paths with johnie gangbanger who that this kid was carrying and disrespected little johnies hood. how about parents step up and take accountability and know what your kid is doing. fake gun or real gun we as cops only see a GUN period and I'm sure as chit that I'm doing what ever it takes to make it home to my family every night, screw the bad guy
                            Sucks?! Uh, that's an understatement. I'm suspecting either his "friend" removed the orange tip or he did it himself, and now he's reaping the benefits of those actions. What a waste of a life.
                            This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.

. . .that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

-- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America

Comment

Sucks?! Uh, that's an understatement. I'm suspecting either his "friend" removed the orange tip or he did it himself, and now he's reaping the benefits of those actions. What a waste of a life.
                              HIS actions of turning toward the officer with a gun in his hand is why he is "REAPING" .

You are correct HE WASTED his life
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4033 users online. 194 members and 3839 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X