Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help with Awards/Decorations/Ribbons for Police

Hey guys/gals,

My chief is thinking about making some policy for police awards and tasked myself and another officer to look into it a bit further.

As a prior military guy, I am familiar awards and can see the benefit of recognizing outstanding achievement but I am admittedly unfamiliar with police specific decorations. After doing some research online, I found some good titles for awards:

Medal of Valor.
    Medal for Bravery.
    Meritorious Conduct
    Lifesaving Award
    Distinguished Service Award
    Meritorious Service Award
    Exemplary Service Award
    Military Service Award

I am interested if anyone has any ideas for other awards that could be added to this list (after all, the chief will be deciding what awards he wants in policy)

That brings me to my second point, If anyone has any policy that explains what the requirements are to achieve awards, how the award is presented or requested, or when the award is authorized for wear etc., I would love a PM from you with some of that information. Of course, we would draft our own policy, but It would be nice to have something to look at as a good foundation for writing our own.

Or, if anyone just wants to chime in with their 2 cents, that is fine as well.

Thank you.
    RIP Cpl Chris Singer (USMC)

Just as a side issue, you may wish to include a couple things in the SOP.

1. Clear definitions of what elements/conditions/acts must be met for each category of award.

2. Anyone can nominate someone for an award, but in doing so they need to substantiate the required elements for the award in question.

3. The establishment of an Awards Committee made up of personnel of all ranks from within the department. Have them meet once a quarter to review awards nominations and vote on whether they meet the criteria for a specific award.

4. If you are a PR oriented, warm and fuzzy department you may wish to include a member of the public so you can say you have community involvement. If you get someone from the business community, they may sponsor or get the Chamber of Commerce to put on a periodic awards lunch.

By doing it this way you make it clear that the awards program is for everyone and is not just another good old boy program that is limited to those favored few the brass like.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I would suggest contacting the International Association of Chief of Police (IACP) to request a copy of their “model policy” titled: Performance Recognition Awards. You may have to purchase it or the whole series, but I can attest to the value of leveraging the work done by the IACP when it comes to developing or implementing policy.

See: http://www.theiacp.org/tabid/486/Default.aspx

In addition, I would also suggest working closely with your labor union if you have one to ensure it bodes with any negotiated agreements- more so if receipt of awards is tied to promotion points or incentives of any sort.

Then look at neighboring agencies and align as best as possible with how they run (if) their award programs. Nothing worse than being high right or wearing a ribbon for one thing that means something completely different from the next town over.

When it comes to the actual award- be aware that some departments have gone way off the rails and not only used US Military ribbons without knowing what they represented, they sometimes go way overboard with their application- resulting in officers looking like the leader of some 3rd world Junta. I would suggest looking to any one of the several police supply/badge companies as a source of the actual award to prevent the first observation.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I've seen ribbons denoting tactical certifications, marksmanship ribbons, ribbons denoting a level of education, School Recource Officer, Intermediate/master peace officer, and years of service.
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Only have ribbons for acts that truly are above and beyond the call of duty. Don't award the Medal of Valor just for being in an OIS. Leave it for heroic deeds that officers aren't normally expected to accomplish.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Purple heart type award.

Comment

To the OP - on top of the awards you listed, my old department had awards for Professional Excellence (going above and beyond, coworker nominations, positive citizen feedback), Corrections Officer/Deputy/Dispatcher/Command Officer of the Year, and a Lifesaving Award. You'd get a metal bar for your uniform and stars to put on the bar for additonal awards, plus a certificate.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I'm all for recognizing achievements since I'm prior military as well...but I just don't understand why some departments like to wear things on their uniforms. Maybe if you have a formal dress uniform (don't understand that either), but maybe I'm just wrong.

There's a reason all Marines are the exact same looking in cammies, I'm a believer in that philosophy for police as well. My personal opinion is probably not the norm, but I would be very happy with just a certificate that would go into my file.

Don't even get me started on stupid hats, white shirts, and shiny metal on uniforms...

Comment

Originally posted by polizei1 View Post
                  I'm all for recognizing achievements since I'm prior military as well...but I just don't understand why some departments like to wear things on their uniforms. Maybe if you have a formal dress uniform (don't understand that either), but maybe I'm just wrong.

There's a reason all Marines are the exact same looking in cammies, I'm a believer in that philosophy for police as well. My personal opinion is probably not the norm, but I would be very happy with just a certificate that would go into my file.

Don't even get me started on stupid hats, white shirts, and shiny metal on uniforms...
                  Most police uniforms are "Class B" style uniforms, not utilities. Even the military allows service ribbons on the Class B. I think we could agree though, officers should wear more of a utility uniform while patrolling (that wouldn't include ribbons).

Comment

Maybe it's just my younger generation, but I'm a firm believer in streamlined less is more mentality. I quite like polo's, shorts, and outer vest carriers. I also believe if you make the officer more comfortable, they will be more proactive and overall happier.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6993 users online. 284 members and 6709 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X