Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you carry your badge off-duty?

How do you carry your badge off-duty?
    Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 04-22-2014, 11:51 AM.

I don't wear a badge on my uniform because it's embroidered, so it's always in my wallet. That way I don't forget it when I go to court.

Comment

I have our old design, small one in my wallet. I have our new design in my fanny pack with secret holster along with my .45 pistol and other stuff.

Comment

We have a special wallet called a Freddy that holds a badge and our ID card. The badge stays in the wallet because we don't wear badges on our shirts. I usually have it in the same pocket as my wallet.

Comment

I wear one on my belt next to my duty weapon. I wear my shirt untucked so it is always concealed.

Comment

Flat badge in leather badge wallet along with department issued ID card.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.
              Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

We had a 'flat badge' in a fold-out wallet that also contained our department's photo ID card. We had a second "curved" badge that we wore on our uniform. If need be, you could attach it to your belt next to your holster if carrying off-duty or on duty but not in uniform.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

On or off duty, I carry credentials and a smaller badge in a wallet in addition to a larger badge hung around my neck. Rarely, the neck badge either gets left behind or tucked into a pocket as circumstances dictate.
                  Last edited by Erik; 10-23-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ClemsonSCJ View Post
                    Thanks for the reply guys. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do because I'm about to start as a reserve officer in my county and our captain said he expects us to carry our badges at all times, but he didn't say anything about having a second badge, and the ones they give us have a little safety pin clip to clip onto your shirt. Those won't fit in a wallet will they? Do the wallet badges have a clip at all?
                    If you carry a badge- carry a gun.

Do you carry any authority while off-duty? What legal status do you retain while off duty? Are you expected/required to respond in a law enforcement capacity off duty? Will the department cover you for off-duty action?

I could go on with about 20 more questions that MUST be answered before you take one more step. While the Skipper is the boss, what does your departments reserve policy say? Are you also required/encouraged to carry a firearm off duty? How about restraints? Reloads? Etc, etc, etc.

That said- while you could move your shirt badge (the one with the pin) into a wallet every time you take off your uniform, there is chance the pin will break. If you are able to- get a wallet badge. These are typically flat as opposed to curved and will have a clip as opposed to a pin back. You can often order them from a police supply company with agency letterhead or the department may provide them.

I would also strongly encourage you to carry your badge and credentials in its own wallet while retaining your other wallet with your license, credit cards, cash and such. The badge only comes out when it must.
                    Originally posted by SSD
                    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                      If you carry a badge- carry a gun.

Do you carry any authority while off-duty? What legal status do you retain while off duty? Are you expected/required to respond in a law enforcement capacity off duty? Will the department cover you for off-duty action?

I could go on with about 20 more questions that MUST be answered before you take one more step. While the Skipper is the boss, what does your departments reserve policy say? Are you also required/encouraged to carry a firearm off duty? How about restraints? Reloads? Etc, etc, etc.

That said- while you could move your shirt badge (the one with the pin) into a wallet every time you take off your uniform, there is chance the pin will break. If you are able to- get a wallet badge. These are typically flat as opposed to curved and will have a clip as opposed to a pin back. You can often order them from a police supply company with agency letterhead or the department may provide them.

I would also strongly encourage you to carry your badge and credentials in its own wallet while retaining your other wallet with your license, credit cards, cash and such. The badge only comes out when it must.
                      Last edited by ClemsonSCJ; 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Our authority off duty is kinda complicated. Since we are technically sworn in LEOs but at the same time we're not allowed to do anything (while on duty) outside the presence of another officer, we're somewhere between a regular LEO and a civilian. Our carry privileges are that of a regular LEO within our state. The only reason they don't include all 50 states is because the law that allows LEOs to carry in all 50 states specifically says "salaried law enforcement". But you don't have to worry about me carrying a gun. I carried a gun almost 24/7 before I even started this unless law prohibited me from doing so. So I imagine I'll literally be carrying at all times now. But I guess I'll have to ask our captain when we qualify tomorrow.

But just out of curiosity, did I tell you what county I'm a reserve in or did you just say Skipper in reference to Gilligans Island type Skipper?
                        I would certainly seek to clarify any “complications” in where your authority is off-duty lest you end up in a jam bag. If they direct you to carry a badge and you want to be in compliance – carry the badge, understanding it is folly to do so if unarmed.

While I don’t question your Captain- I would bounce direction and guidance off published policy that applies to you as a reserve officer; which sometimes differs from those applicable to full-time officers.

And for what its worth- the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (18 USC 926B) states in part:

(c) As used in this section, the term “qualified law enforcement officer” means an employee of a governmental agency who—
                        It says nothing about “salaried law enforcement”, it says EMPLOYEE. While some have argued one way or another the intent of the word “employee” it is generally agreed that if you are compensated you are an employee. Simply being covered by workers compensation is usually not enough to be deemed an employee; financial remuneration is usually the requisite.

Again, this is not something I can clarify for you but something the agency must make clear.

See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926B

And I said Skipper because that’s what I called my first Captain not because I know where you work.
                        Originally posted by SSD
                        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.

Comment

Our authority off duty is kinda complicated. Since we are technically sworn in LEOs but at the same time we're not allowed to do anything (while on duty) outside the presence of another officer, we're somewhere between a regular LEO and a civilian. Our carry privileges are that of a regular LEO within our state. The only reason they don't include all 50 states is because the law that allows LEOs to carry in all 50 states specifically says "salaried law enforcement". But you don't have to worry about me carrying a gun. I carried a gun almost 24/7 before I even started this unless law prohibited me from doing so. So I imagine I'll literally be carrying at all times now. But I guess I'll have to ask our captain when we qualify tomorrow.

But just out of curiosity, did I tell you what county I'm a reserve in or did you just say Skipper in reference to Gilligans Island type Skipper?
                          Since I can take a wild guess at least which state you work in, lol, Clemson go check out the SLED policy for Group III State Constables on their website. There's a bit in there about non-uniform / off-duty carry, and also the bit about taking police action to prevent a threat to life or another officer. Yea I know, Constables and Reserves here are two sides of the same coin, but it does give you somewhat of a baseline idea. Of course state law and department policy trumps all, so ask around for confirmation.

Also refer to 16-23-20 (1) under exceptions to unlawful carry of a handgun:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor’s constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;
                          Yea, bit fuzzy, lol, but you have to ask yourself if you are forced to draw down, are you carrying out an official duty? When you're simply carrying off-duty per policy or directive from your superior, are you carrying out an official duty?

My $.02 cents, if you're unsure, you can always carry under the CWP rules and you'll be fine. Just stay away from the places with the signs, and the bars / Applebee's etc. until the General Assembly comes back in session in January and fixes that nonsense. Stupid no restaurant carry...
                          Last edited by Krell; 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM.
                          SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Wait, so as a reserve police officer with paid details (including some paid patrol), I would qualify to carry under LEOSA? Interesting....
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                              Wait, so as a reserve police officer with paid details (including some paid patrol), I would qualify to carry under LEOSA? Interesting....
                              Depends on several factors- most importantly the policy of the agency with whom you are affiliated.

Again, the subject of what the word “employee” means in relation to the intent of LEOSA has been subject to MUCH debate- almost as much as arrest versus apprehend. I have seen cogent arguments on both sides of the fence when it comes to reserve officers and if they are or are not covered by LEOSA.

From 18 USC 926B

(c) As used in this section, the term “qualified law enforcement officer” means an employee of a governmental agency who—
                              It says nothing about “salaried law enforcement”, it says EMPLOYEE. While some have argued one way or another the intent of the word “employee” it is generally agreed that if you are compensated you are an employee. Simply being covered by workers compensation is usually not enough to be deemed an employee; financial remuneration is usually the requisite.

See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926B
                              Originally posted by SSD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2573 users online. 138 members and 2435 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X