Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dallas police shooting. Bad shoot or no?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas police shooting. Bad shoot or no?

DPD responds to a call from a mother requesting help in an argument with her allegedly mentally ill 52-yr-old son. Police claim the man threatens and then advances on them with a knife at which time one officer fires four shots critically wounding the man.

Unbeknownst to the officers, a neighbor's security camera has captured the event on tape. The video shows the suspect standing still, more than 20 feet awa when he's shot.

The suspect was initially charged with aggravated assault but the DPD chief has since dropped all charges against him.

Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/f...reats-20221764

You're link doesn't work but I assume you are speaking about this incident?

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sho...tally-ill-man/

I'll reserve judgement until some more facts are released, instead of a crappy video from Bubba and some stipulation by people that I have a hard time calling reporters.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Yes, sorry, somehow it just links to their news feature site.

Still, looks like it's going to be a tough one for the officer involved based on the video evidence that directly refutes his post-shooting statement and report.

Doesn't help that the chief has already dismissed charges against the dude.

Comment

21 foot rule, justified shooting.

And shame on the Dallas chief for opening a criminal investigation against the officer.

Comment

I love (sarcasm) how the media makes it seem as if police officers use their weapons like it was no big deal. LEOs know good and well that anytime they discharge their firearms, they'd better be prepared to articulate why they felt justified in doing so. It's not as if the officers are at target practice while they're off duty; they're taking real human lives into their hands.
          It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post

And shame on the Dallas chief for opening a criminal investigation against the officer.
            You must not be familair with Chief Brown.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Don't call it a rule. It is not.. it's a drill and is guideline.
              "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

"When you get to the point were all you want to do is be successful as bad as you need to breath, that is when you will be successful"

Comment

"Unbeknownst to the officers" Like they would have done it differently just because a camera is on? My camera is on everytime I stop someone. Some depts. have body camera's that record every citizen contact by that depts. policy. Ive never hesitated to use force if i had to just because someone is filming me. This is super cynical of me but, how about you dont call the police if your going to be ****ed at how they handle things. She knew he was crazy and more than likely knew he was suicidal / homicidal (Wouldnt have had a knife in this situation in the first place if he wasnt) from jump.

But anyway, its hard to tell what happened based on that weak video. dead guy may have been telling the police how he was going to kill them if he got close enough. Who knows.
                "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by 2b1ask1 View Post
                  Don't know who taught you that, but it's a fact. Facts are generally rules. Drills are practice, guidelines are vague. It is a fact that a normal person can cover 21 feet and touch you before you can fire a firearm accurately at them. Doesn't make what happened here right necessarily, though it seems like the video skips a bit right before the shooting.

Comment

While the video certainly looks "bad" for the officers, there's always more to the story...don't be so quick to judge either side. I wasn't there, and it wasn't my decision, so I'll leave it at that. I do hope the officers were justified though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannady View Post
                      Don't know who taught you that, but it's a fact. Facts are generally rules. Drills are practice, guidelines are vague. It is a fact that a normal person can cover 21 feet and touch you before you can fire a firearm accurately at them. Doesn't make what happened here right necessarily, though it seems like the video skips a bit right before the shooting.
                      I don't know who taught you that.. But I would hate to see you on the stand god forbid you shoot somebody at 22 feet or 25 feet. That is why it is called the tueller "drill" it is a guideline. The minute you call it a rule you are locked into that specific area. A defense attorney would have a field day with you. A threat with a knife is a threat with a knife 21 feet, 25 feet, or even 30 feet. They start coming my direct and aren't obeying my commands they have placed their life in danger. My number one concern is MY safety and the officers around me. 21 feet is your minimum reactionary space.

"Oh wait.. he needs to be within 21 feet to shoot, he's at.. ahhh 23.5' right now hold off guys, let him keep moving this way so we are covered by the 21 foot "rule". "
                      Last edited by 2b1ask1; 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM.
                      "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

"When you get to the point were all you want to do is be successful as bad as you need to breath, that is when you will be successful"

Comment

It has been called that all throughout my law enforcement career, so far.

And in more recent legal updates it has even been extended to 30 feet.

Comment

It has been called that all throughout my law enforcement career, so far.

And in more recent legal updates it has even been extended to 30 feet.
                          I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm merely saying people need to get the notion out of there head its a rule. Like you said, A person can be a danger out to 30-40 feet. 21 feet is the minimum reaction distance. Action will always have the upper hand on reaction.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm merely saying people need to get the notion out of there head its a rule. Like you said, A person can be a danger out to 30-40 feet. 21 feet is the minimum reaction distance. Action will always have the upper hand on reaction.
                            It is still a rule. You are mistaken about the rule. The rule is that anyone within 21 feet of you can utilize a handheld weapon on you before you can react accordingly, even if you already have a firearm out. That is the rule. The rule follows the other rule, you know, time and distance. Of course there are variables included, but the rule still stands that if they're within 21 feet you will be very lucky not to be cut if they have an edged weapon. If they are outside of 21 feet, you are not safe, you are safer than if you are inside 21 feet, but no, you're still not safe. Calling it a guideline is like calling it a suggestion. Frankly I don't care what the defense attorney has a field day with because that means two things, A- I'm alive to sit there and laugh at him/her and B- I'm not the one being prosecuted, the idiot that played stupid games is.

I've learned it as a rule and been trained that way by my local department as well as various instructors who are probably the highest regarded trainers as a group in the country for general law enforcement survival.

Comment

I learned the 21 foot rule as the bad guy could cover that before you could draw and fire. not just fire. I'm fairly confident that if I were already drawn and aimed before they charged, I could fire as I stepped back.

I also read that the video showed something like the knife-wielding guy first sitting with the knife, then standing in the direction of the officers?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4043 users online. 264 members and 3779 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X