Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on Maintenance costs for an MRAP ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on Maintenance costs for an MRAP ?

Local village Police Dept got one, village of 834 residents, "free" from the govt.

I would guess the ENTIRE dept would fit in it all at once.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

can't be too much. Just take it to Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey. Gotta be one near by.
    My soul has been removed to make room for all this sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post
      can't be too much. Just take it to Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey. Gotta be one near by.
      Well I was thinking more about other parts that might need changed now and then. Buddy on a dept down in FL showed pictures of an older generation of similar device they had, it sat out back on flat tires, moldering into scrap. Just putting a single tire on one might be a huge expense for all I know ??

And there is some weird stuff like having to pull an engine to change the oil (original Abrams tank?)

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
        Local village Police Dept got one, village of 834 residents, "free" from the govt.

I would guess the ENTIRE dept would fit in it all at once.

Bill
        The most valuable person in a police department is a good grant writer.
        Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
          The most valuable person in a police department is a good grant writer.
          I'm guessing it was offered TO them, they said the offer "came about suddenly" and I am NOT joking that the whole dept could fit in the thing, I used to work over there (Edon, OH) and my impression was they had one officer per shift, and a Chief and maybe a few other sworn.

I'm guessing it was an MRAP because those are the ones the govt is giving away, too big for many places there would be a need for them, and at 14 tons they say 72% of the worlds bridges cannot handle one.

Apparently on open "highways" in sandbox places the guys liked them because they were pretty tough.

But only three fit in a C130 and that ends up costing like $150k EACH to get one to the sandbox where it is needed.

Bill

Comment

It depends on the variant of MRAP but they are all somewhat close. The average cost is around $60k a year, but this is what the DoD is paying contractors overseas in an environment where they are being used heavily.

The hard part would be finding someone who knew how to do things like change the oil or a tire on one. They aren't as simple as a crown vic and require special tools, parts and knowledge to keep them going.

Comment

Originally posted by LandGuppy View Post
              The hard part would be finding someone who knew how to do things like change the oil or a tire on one. They aren't as simple as a crown vic and require special tools, parts and knowledge to keep them going.
              Its not that hard. Its just an international commercial vehicle.

You figure these thing will only be driven a couple hundred miles a year (if that). Maintenance shouldn't be much due to the lack of miles put on them. If they were smart then will cover up the tires to prevent sun cracking.
              Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

The maintenance on the MRAP is measured in the gazillions.
                MAC

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                  Its not that hard. Its just an international commercial vehicle.

You figure these thing will only be driven a couple hundred miles a year (if that). Maintenance shouldn't be much due to the lack of miles put on them. If they were smart then will cover up the tires to prevent sun cracking.
                  You haven't spent too much time in a military vehicle motor pool have you? Vehicles "sitting" in a garage or rarely driven develop all kinds of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                    I'm guessing it was offered TO them, they said the offer "came about suddenly" and I am NOT joking that the whole dept could fit in the thing, I used to work over there (Edon, OH) and my impression was they had one officer per shift, and a Chief and maybe a few other sworn.

I'm guessing it was an MRAP because those are the ones the govt is giving away, too big for many places there would be a need for them, and at 14 tons they say 72% of the worlds bridges cannot handle one.

Apparently on open "highways" in sandbox places the guys liked them because they were pretty tough.

But only three fit in a C130 and that ends up costing like $150k EACH to get one to the sandbox where it is needed.

Bill
                    AND TMG meant that a good grant writer could obtain money to keep the vehicle in operation

Comment

Originally posted by sapper324 View Post
                      You haven't spent too much time in a military vehicle motor pool have you? Vehicles "sitting" in a garage or rarely driven develop all kinds of problems.
                      Not only that, but like I said, depending on the variant and age, you may see vast differences in quality. These things were rushed into production by the DoD and companies that were in no way ready to produce them in the thousands that the DoD wanted. There are some huge quality problems with many of them (Each vendor has minor changes and variants that make them all a little bit different as well)

Some of them have had severe electrical problems and have spontaneously combusted. The doors are so heavy they have a pneumatic system to be able to open. There have been a huge number of failures with this system literally trapping people inside. The list goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by LandGuppy View Post
                        Not only that, but like I said, depending on the variant and age, you may see vast differences in quality. These things were rushed into production by the DoD and companies that were in no way ready to produce them in the thousands that the DoD wanted. There are some huge quality problems with many of them (Each vendor has minor changes and variants that make them all a little bit different as well)

Some of them have had severe electrical problems and have spontaneously combusted. The doors are so heavy they have a pneumatic system to be able to open. There have been a huge number of failures with this system literally trapping people inside. The list goes on and on.
                        That's why there are manual releases, a turret hatch to crawl out of on the top, and "universal keys!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                          acquisition and maintanence cost .
                          ^^^^ and THUS the need for a grant writer (especially for a very small department).

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                            My team is attempting to acquire one, but the DRMO process is an abortion. One of our guys even has an in with a transport officer in the Army who could get it on a train for us.
                            No Chit.

My agency has 2 M-14's that are DRMO. The last 2 Sheriff's have been trying to get rid of them and can't. NO ONE wants them back.

The state DRMO office (state police ) keeps insisting that we account for them every year -----and our Sheriff keeps saying he doesn't want them any more...

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              No Chit.

My agency has 2 M-14's that are DRMO. The last 2 Sheriff's have been trying to get rid of them and can't. NO ONE wants them back.

The state DRMO office (state police ) keeps insisting that we account for them every year -----and our Sheriff keeps saying he doesn't want them any more...
                              Thats kinda weird, they were so desperate for them at one time that they went and took BACK the ones that Legion and Amvets posts had for ceremonial purposes. Why not just issue them out as patrol rifles ?? It is not tough to render them semi auto only.

Bill

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7836 users online. 243 members and 7593 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X