Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlotte officer charged with involuntary manslaughter for OIS.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte officer charged with involuntary manslaughter for OIS.

IMO, this is a crock of bull. The cops mindset is that this guy is a B and E suspect, he runs at them, no doubt being given commands to stop and then once tased he still advanced on an officer with his weapon drawn?

This was a big and fit young man. I was always told that as a cop there is a gun at every scene....yours!

If I got a guy that the taser didn't work on coming at me and my unholstered gun, I think that thinking that the guy is going to take my gun and kill me isn't that far fetched.

It is a sad case. But, to throw the officer under the bus?

http://www.wbtv.com/story/23430922/p...n-ne-charlotte

Seems like the charge happened mighty quickly - which tells me either the evidence was overwhelming, or they were trying to head off race riots.

It'll hash out in courts, and we'll all learn something at his expense.

Comment

I hope this officer has a good lawyer....

Comment

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
        IMO, this is a crock of bull. The cops mindset is that this guy is a B and E suspect, he runs at them, no doubt being given commands to stop and then once tased he still advanced on an officer with his weapon drawn?
        []
        Why is it a crock? You weren't there and the news report,(which is all any of us have) didn't say if the guy was tased, just that the deployment of the taser was unsuccessful. Personally, I will reserve judgement after more information is released.

On a side note, if I had shot everyone who ever ran toward me when I was working, I wouldn't be able to count how many people would have been shot.
        Retired

Comment

The other officers didn't discharge their firearms, only this one did. Does that mean he doesn't have nerves of steel?

Just because someone is running towards you does not mean that they wish to harm you. This guy was probably in shock. I haven't seen pictures of the vehicular accident in question, but the media quotes the police chief that the damage was substantial enough for the driver to have to get out via the rear window.

After an accident, would the average civilian in a state of shock think that police officers (who most citizens are conditioned to believe will help them and not hurt them) are someone to avoid or someone to run to for aid?

This situation is simply disgusting.

edit: I understand that everyone on the job wants to limit exposure to injury and worse, death; but the fact of the matter is, not everyone is a "bad guy". Attempted B&E? Why was he just knocking on the door, then & not breaking through a window?

I wonder how the homeowner feels, since she pretty much almost pulled the trigger herself here. I know that's a stretch, but still. Hope she feels somewhat guilty. She basically just slammed the door in his face, didn't even listen to anything he said. Then again, he may have not said anything. Can people be catatonic or mute after a severe accident?
          Last edited by TexasDriver; 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

This was a big and fit young man. I was always told that as a cop there is a gun at every scene....yours!

If I got a guy that the taser didn't work on coming at me and my unholstered gun, I think that thinking that the guy is going to take my gun and kill me isn't that far fetched.

Or, maybe the allegation that he lunged at them is bull and is a cover up.

Use your brain here. Why would a dude just in an accident lunge at police? More likely that he was injured in an accident and was seeking help. However, because he was black, the homeowner immediately viewed him as a burglar. Then the police arrive and assume the same thing so shoot first and ask questions later. Only after they write their bogus reports that he lunged at them do they realize he was actually an accident victim and not a burglar.

Wise up, son. there are great cops and then there those who lie to cover their arses. IMO, these guys are the latter.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Little deployed his taser and missed, Kerrick fired his weapon and struck. Assuming the events happened in that order, this means; a. two different officers perceived a threat, b. if a short range weapon like a taser is used, then Ferrell was even closer to the officers when the pistol was fired.

I have seen the 21 foot knife drill on youtube. A person with bad intent can cover a lot of ground real fast. NOTE: This is all speculation, based on the limited info in the above story.
              When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Comment

I would love to see the toxicology report on Farrell. There may be a reason he wrecked his car in the first place.
                When you are dead, you don't know you're dead. It is difficult only for the others around you.

Comment

IMO, This is one of those situations where eyewitnesses (on all sides), and cold hard facts are going to have to play a huge role for investigators to be able to piece together what actually happened, and why. Until then it's all speculation, and we cannot completely know exactly why any actions were taken. This seems like one of those stories where more will come to light later, making it make much more sense.
                  Life is a pretty lame game, but at least it has good graphics.

It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat. -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                    Or, maybe the allegation that he lunged at them is bull and is a cover up.

Use your brain here. Why would a dude just in an accident lunge at police? More likely that he was injured in an accident and was seeking help. However, because he was black, the homeowner immediately viewed him as a burglar. Then the police arrive and assume the same thing so shoot first and ask questions later. Only after they write their bogus reports that he lunged at them do they realize he was actually an accident victim and not a burglar.

Wise up, son. there are great cops and then there those who lie to cover their arses. IMO, these guys are the latter.
                    I don't discount that as a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                      Little deployed his taser and missed, Kerrick fired his weapon and struck. Assuming the events happened in that order, this means; a. two different officers perceived a threat, b. if a short range weapon like a taser is used, then Ferrell was even closer to the officers when the pistol was fired.

Or C: the officer heard the pop when the taser was deployed and had a sympathetic response with his finger on the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by AI_guy View Post
                        Or C: the officer heard the pop when the taser was deployed and had a sympathetic response with his finger on the trigger.
                        Entirely possible....

Comment

I wouldn't say throwing the officer under the bus because if the officer's actions met a criteria for a crime, then the law is the law. Does it suck? Yes, but that is why we have a legal process to determine the facts and remedy.

Secondly, from other reports, he was in an accident, and it may very well be he was in shock or seeking help. There is more to this story I am willing to bet. Before commenting further, I need more information.
                          This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.

. . .that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

-- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America

Comment

While I would hope he gets a fair trial and the facts do all the talking I think (sadly) that the drive by media has their minds made up.

As mentioned above, he needs a really good lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                              Why is it a crock? You weren't there and the news report,(which is all any of us have) didn't say if the guy was tased, just that the deployment of the taser was unsuccessful. Personally, I will reserve judgement after more information is released.

On a side note, if I had shot everyone who ever ran toward me when I was working, I wouldn't be able to count how many people would have been shot.
                              So apparently you retired before Graham v Connor came about? Some of the responses from people who weren't in law enforcement and don't know that case law I can understand... but some of the ones from officers ready to convict someone based on a news story (those aren't ever biased against police you know) is astounding.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3976 users online. 234 members and 3742 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X